No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read quotes like this and wonder how they can possibly come to that conclusion.

A U.S. Marine at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, has tested positive for COVID-19, becoming the state’s first case of coronavirus, the Department of Defense announced in a tweet late Saturday March 7.

The Virginia Department of Health said in a press release that ” evidence has not been seen of COVID-19 spreading in Virginia,” and said “the risk is low.”
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Coronavirus cases confirmed now in 32 states, plus suspected in 2 more states, and confirmed in 105 countries and suspected in several others.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I read quotes like this and wonder how they can possibly come to that conclusion.

A U.S. Marine at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, has tested positive for COVID-19, becoming the state’s first case of coronavirus, the Department of Defense announced in a tweet late Saturday March 7.

The Virginia Department of Health said in a press release that ” evidence has not been seen of COVID-19 spreading in Virginia,” and said “the risk is low.”
        Case now confirmed in Fairfax County, VA, which also is near me.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Case now confirmed in Fairfax County, VA, which also is near me.
          We all need to expect and embrace lifestyle changes at this point. It is a very strange feeling and it is going to get stranger and scarier
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• i know i said a month ago what official people are saying now, and i believed it. but it's not like i was preparing. today i started stocking up on 3-4 months of food. i am on a budget and i am starting to wonder if there will be a disruption in distribution. mostly dollar store canned goods, extra bags of cat food. i fear prices will increase or stores might even close or run empty. it's the long incubation rate of the virus. even livescience said it could be up to 27 days. i would think that would be a very rare instance. but even 5 to 14 days is enough to prevent containment. reading the news everyday is like watching a science fiction movie of the beginning of an even a slight apocalypse.

i think i am a weird. when people didn't believe it i did, and now people do, i am starting to take a contrarian opinion that, no, this can't happen. but if it does i better stock up.

also, they say there are two different strains. the more severe strain started in Wuhan and mutated to a less severe but more contagious one. that would fit the modern day pattern of most viruses. and that would be good under the current circumstances. they say that would create more antibodies, although that would make it harder to make a vaccine. but when i looked it up there were scientists that doubted the assumption of 2 different strains. also, to my surprise other scientists said that the original SARS mutated into a more severe form and burned itself out. and they say that can happen with a virus, but i've never heard of it before. they also say that there was a possible instance of one dog becoming slightly infected from it's owner but that it's very doubtful pets can infect owners. but the dog didn't become sick.

i think the good news is that China closed their makeshift hospital last week. i doubt it would be political to downplay things and instead their response to the virus worked. ..i'll probably go out again later and make another food run before everyone starts doing the same thing. i'm a little scared to see my prediction coming true.

anything can happen though. it's logical that it should mutate into a less severe form. i can't remember if they said the virus shows an ability to evade immune responses but hasn't done so yet. it's good that children and young people appear to be able to handle the virus. that most immune systems responding are doing what it should do. also, if it's harder to get sick in the summer, than selective pressures could cause the virus become less severe but more infectious. assuming the people most vulnerable would become infected anyways.

Comment

• my mother asked me about medications that come from china being infected on the surface. i don't know how long the virus can last on surfaces. but what about local pharmacies. i am sure they take precautions. i am not sure that is not a bad question. if it were possible that would be a major lane with so many people taking medications.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                it's logical that it should mutate into a less severe form.
                The 1918 flu virus actually mutated into a more severe form, creating a second wave of infection after the 1st one died out after a few months. Yeah, that was then and this was now and this one is a SARS-type virus and that one was supposedly a H1N1-type one. But why is it logical that it would mutate into a less severe form? As far as I know it could go either way

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                it's good that children and young people appear to be able to handle the virus. that most immune systems responding are doing what it should do.
                For the 1918 flu virus, at least in the second more serious wave, the people w the healthiest immune systems actually fared worse. This was because their immune systems launched so massive an attack against the virus in their lungs that it produced massive amounts of fluid filling up their lungs so they couldn't breathe. Millions of healthy people drowned in their own bodies. Sorry, but I think attempts to downplay the severity of this virus could be leading us into a false sense of security, particularly when the overall response has been so inadequate already.

Comment

• The world’s faltering effort to contain the coronavirus outbreak hammered stock and oil futures on Sunday, which indicated a sharply lower open on Wall Street.

The world’s faltering effort to contain the coronavirus outbreak hammered stocks and crude oil on Sunday, as new cases surfacing across the U.S. amplified fears of a global downturn.

Brent crude (BZ=F) prices collapsed, falling by as much as 31% on Sunday evening in what was the largest single-day drop since the U.S. invaded Iraq in 1991.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                    The 1918 flu virus actually mutated into a more severe form, creating a second wave of infection after the 1st one died out after a few months. Yeah, that was then and this was now and this one is a SARS-type virus and that one was supposedly a H1N1-type one. But why is it logical that it would mutate into a less severe form? As far as I know it could go either way

For the 1918 flu virus, at least in the second more serious wave, the people w the healthiest immune systems actually fared worse. This was because their immune systems launched so massive an attack against the virus in their lungs that it produced massive amounts of fluid filling up their lungs so they couldn't breathe. Millions of healthy people drowned in their own bodies. Sorry, but I think attempts to downplay the severity of this virus could be leading us into a false sense of security, particularly when the overall response has been so inadequate already.
                    Looking at Italy, or even what is happening here should result in some fairly drastic changes. Hopefully soon. Lot's of events cancelled here in Seattle, but lots still going on.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Looking at Italy, or even what is happening here should result in some fairly drastic changes. Hopefully soon. Lot's of events cancelled here in Seattle, but lots still going on.
                      Although the response that is needed will result in huge economic impact, and hardships for many people. I hope we get some good news on this somehow.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Officials just announced that one of the largest school districts in the country (Fulton, GA) is 100% closed tomorrow due to an employee testing positive.

Comment

• All of Italy now directed to stay home except for work/transport of essential goods or other extenuating conditions. No public gathering, school, funerals, etc.

I ran across this twitter account from Italy, it is pretty horrifying and what we need to prevent here.

11/ Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

13/ Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.
                          Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-09-2020, 04:48 PM.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

All of Italy now directed to stay home except for work/transport of essential goods or other extenuating conditions. No public gathering, school, funerals, etc.

I ran across this twitter account from Italy, it is pretty horrifying and what we need to prevent here.

11/ Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

13/ Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.
                            Another horrifying description.

George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It is all bad. I don't know if we could have stopped it, but the current admin's handling of this, especially Trump, reminds me of Bush and Katrina, and more recently Trump and Maria. This may be even worse, in fact. All he cares about is himself, and how he can spin things to benefit himself. He actually undermines his own people who do try to do their jobs. More people will die because of him. He will not care. He will play golf, downplay the coming pandemic until it is too late, and then focus all of his energies on how to spin this to make him look good rather than staying up nights trying to figure out how he can save lives.

Comment

• I'm going to try to report stats regularly here. The latest info I can find follows:

- 753 cases in US
                                - 27 deaths in US (22 in Wash. state (almost all of patients at the Life Care Centers of America nursing home in Kirkland), 2 in Calif, 2 in Fla. and 1 that I couldn't determine)
                                - 36 states, plus DC, have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 3 others
                                - 114,538 cases worldwide
                                - 4027 deaths worldwide w 891 of those outside of China
                                - 114 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 3 others. At least 8 of that total are not actual countries, e.g. Hong Kong, Macau, Gibraltar, Jersey, Faeroe Is., French Guiana, Martinique, St Barts. I'm counting Taiwan as a country, even tho it is not officially recognized by most other countries, including the US. This total doesn't include the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which is listed separately.

Curiously, most of the countries that officially recognize Taiwan are either in Central America or the Caribbean.

Comment

Working...
                                X