Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
    Among the many noteworthy items mentioned in the documentary, the governor of American Samoa, upon learning some details of the outbreak, closed off his country to all outside contact. Amer. Samoa was about the only place in the world, besides Antarctica, to suffer no deaths from the disease. He warned the governor of the companion territory of Western Samoa to do the same but he didn't listen and they suffered one of the highest mortality rates of any country.
    Social distancing and cancellation of events with many people is likely to come to America fairly soon. If not, things will only get worse.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• BTW, the documentary I mentioned above was done in 2018, way before the current outbreak. It showed up in my recommended YT videos.

Comment

• The mask shortage is real.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• An 8 am emergency meeting for chairs and directors was just called at my university for Monday. We are going to discuss plans for moving all instruction online if/when things get bad here.

Comment

• A local Non Profit I volunteer for is holding their annual fundraiser and attendance is down...there's also concern about a few auction items which normally garner top bids--#1. a 7 day cruise, #2. 2 trips,one to Cabo the other to Costa Rica and #3. every Item that takes you into a public gathering (theatres, Concert venues, sporting events)

I am really wondering if it will impact the WSOP, that already is notorious for fostering illness during the 7 weeks people are cramming into the Rio and around poker tables--The actually had an outbreak of Legionnaires a couple of years back and with an international field and thousands crammed in the rooms and waiting in lines--it seems like a prime location for an outbreak.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Seattle Comic Con postponed--how will San Diego CC react?
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Seattle Comic Con postponed--how will San Diego CC react?
                  It's at the end of July so they have some time to decide.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                    It's at the end of July so they have some time to decide.
                    I've had this discussion with my wife...worry about immediate stuff for now and we will have more info later to make better decisions.

Of course if you need to plan far ahead that makes things more difficult. But at least consider what might happen
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      I've had this discussion with my wife...worry about immediate stuff for now and we will have more info later to make better decisions.

Of course if you need to plan far ahead that makes things more difficult. But at least consider what might happen
                      This may have been mentioned but Alaska Airlines is making all tickets bought after 2/27 refundable.

Comment

• The University of Washington will now have all courses online starting Monday. Most schools in Seattle still running normally. Not sure how long that will last
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Pirates and Orioles players (and probably the rest of MLB) no longer permitted to sign autographs during ST.

Comment

• This is really scary if it's even partially true. Below is a link to a YT video that reads and comments on a series of tweets from an engineer describing her prediction of what will happen w the coronavirus in the US in the next couple of months based on the way it has developed so far:
                            For those asking how best to SUPPORT Chris & Peak Prosperity in their efforts to provide continuing coverage of news that matters: https://www.peakprosperity...

The part re: her info is from 13:36 to 27:02 of the video. Among other things, she says that at the current rate, there will be 1 million cases in the US by the end of April and 2 mil. by the 2nd week of May! She says we'll run out of available hospital beds for coronavirus cases (serious cases only) by early May and many health care workers will get infected and be unable to provide care. Because of the worldwide demand for effective surgical masks, by May there will be barely enough for 1 mask per day per healthcare worker. Basically, she says that unless we make drastic changes to how we're handling this pandemic the US healthcare system, as well as that of most other countries, risks failing in a couple months or so.

Sounds extreme, doesn't it? After you look at the video you may not think so.

I don't really know but I think that, among other things, we need to start thinking about prohibiting non-essential travel in or out of the country.

Comment

• BTW, the tweeter mentioned above is named Liz Specht, who is the Associate Director of Science and Technology at The Good Food Institute, has a Ph.D. from UCSD and is an engineer and biologist. Her figures are based in part on an assumption that the number of cases will double about every 6 days. I know nothing about her but I saw at least one other published article that seems to be taking her seriously. The author of the article isn't necessarily as pessimistic as Ms. Specht but notes that Specht herself pointed out that "even if I’m wrong – even VERY wrong – about core assumptions like % of severe cases or current case #, it only changes the timeline by days or weeks."

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                                BTW, the tweeter mentioned above is named Liz Specht, who is the Associate Director of Science and Technology at The Good Food Institute, has a Ph.D. from UCSD and is an engineer and biologist. Her figures are based in part on an assumption that the number of cases will double about every 6 days. I know nothing about her but I saw at least one other published article that seems to be taking her seriously. The author of the article isn't necessarily as pessimistic as Ms. Specht but notes that Specht herself pointed out that "even if I’m wrong – even VERY wrong – about core assumptions like % of severe cases or current case #, it only changes the timeline by days or weeks."
                                I saw her twitter thread this morning. It is very sobering
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X