No announcement yet.

Corona Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just watched a video by a doctor where he used a case study to discuss the potential benefits and dangers of Chloroquine. A husband and wife, to try to provide defense against possible CV-19 infection, took a form of Chloroquine (in an aquarium cleaner), got very sick and went to the emergency room. The man's heart developed an arrhythmia (sp?) and he died but the woman was saved thru treatment. The doc said that Chloroquine is poisonous if the dosage is too high and that it can be very easy to take an overdose. He also questioned the methodology of the French study which evidently is the basis for the recent claims of HCQ's efficacy against CV-19. He said that both Hydroxychloroquine and plain Quinine are similar to Chloroquine in their effects and altho they work against malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis and may also work against CV-19, we still don't have a very good understanding of exactly how they work. It looks like none of these substances should ever be taken unless under a competent doctor's supervision. I'm now wondering how competent the medical personnel in the VA study were. I'm thinking not very.

Comment

• US just passed 1 mil cases. This happened almost exactly when Liz Specht said it would almost 2 months ago.

Comment

• Another stats update as of 7:46 AM today. Last stats were from 4/25 at 7:46 AM, exactly 3 days ago. I'm putting in a new stat this time. I saw a video that said it is key during a pandemic to get the ratio of today's daily new case rate compared to yesterday's new case rate to be less than 1.0. I cant find that video now but it said the real goal to shoot for is 0.7 because then it would be only days from then that the pandemic would be over. But getting the ratio below 1.0 is a big step. I'm doing updates every 3 days so my figure will be the ratio of 3-day new case rates. Because irregularities in # new cases occur because of underreporting on weekends, I'm also including a comparison w the new cases from 2 periods ago which usually correct for these irregularities:

- 1,010,507 cases in US, up from 925,758, a 9.2% increase, which is a smaller increase than last time (11.9%). The increases of the last 6 days give a doubling rate of every 21 days. The new cases for this period were 84,749 compared to 98,400 for last time, for a ratio of 0.86. The new cases for 2 periods ago was 85,291 so a comparison w this period's new cases gives a rate of 0.99, which is the 1st time it's been below 1.0, a good sign.
        - 56,803 deaths in US, up from 52,217, a 8.8% increase which is a much smaller increase than last time (14.9%). The increases of the last 6 days give a doubling rate of about every 18.75 days. At this rate, the US projects to hit 100,000 deaths by about May 13. The US mortality rate is now 5.62%, which is about the same as last time, (5.64%).
        - 3,081,685 cases worldwide, up from 2,850,107, a 8.1% increase which is a smaller increase than last time (10.3%). The new cases for this period were 231,578 compared to 265,924 for last time, for a ratio of 0.87. The new cases for 2 periods ago was 233,305 so a comparison w this period's new cases gives a rate of 0.99, which, like the US, is the 1st time it's been below 1.0.
        - 212,439 deaths worldwide, up from 198,283, a 7.1% increase which is a smaller increase than last time (10.8%). Mortality rates seem to be stabilizing. The world mortality rate is 6.89%, down slightly from 6.96%. Italy's mortality rate is 13.53%, up slightly from 13.46%, Belgium's is 15.49%, up from 15.26%, Spain's is 10.26%, about the same as last time (10.24%), France's is 14.05%, up from 13.92%, UK's is 13.42%, down from 13.60% and Germany's is 3.87%, up from 3.73%.
        - 215 countries/territories/etc. have confirmed cases w suspected cases in 1 other (North Korea), same as last time. There are only 14 countries, 11 of which are island republics, that have neither reported nor have suspected cases: Lesotho, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Comoros, Kiribati, Marshall Is., Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Is., Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu. The vast majority of countries have at least 1 death, w Vietnam having the most cases w no reported deaths, 270.

Rates of increase continue to decrease slightly and the new cases ratio getting below 1.0 for both the US and the world is a good sign.

Comment

• Interesting video estimating when the CV-19 pandemic will end in different countries based on data from a lab in Singapore:

Researchers in Singapore have come up with data-driven timelines predicting the end of the Coronavirus pandemic. India is projected to end 97% of the outbrea...

It says it will completely end in the US by Sept 5 but will be 99% over by May 27. For comparison, it says it will be over 100% in the UK by Aug 20 and 99% over by May 29. For Italy, 100% by Aug 30 and 99% over by May 23. For Spain, 100% by Aug 2 and 99% by May 14. Sounds greatly optimistic. And I'm not sure what nn% over means. And it says the pandemic is already over in China (yeah, right) and in S. Korea. But it says the pandemic will continue in some countries for some time. E.g., for Bahrain, it wont be 100% over until Apr 6, 2021 and not 99% over until Sep 4. For Qatar, 100% by Feb 2, 2021 and 99% by Aug 26. It does say that its figures are based on current protection and prevention methods remaining in place. But I don't know what that means either. Which methods? Will existing lockdowns have to stay in place? Anyway, it's interesting.

Comment

• My sister is called back to work this coming Monday at Mercury Marine in Wisconsin. Her husband has been called back to John Deere a week ago.

Not sure what that means, but I am nervous for them.

Comment

• The National Baseball Hall of Fame has postponed this year’s induction ceremonies until 2021.

Comment

• This is coming from the drug maker, so take it with a grain of salt, but they are saying the drug is showing over 50% of patients improve after a 5 day trial on the antiviral remdesivir, but the trial looks pretty limited to me and they don't quantify the improvement: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...al/ar-BB13mWnY

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  This is coming from the drug maker, so take it with a grain of salt, but they are saying the drug is showing over 50% of patients improve after a 5 day trial on the antiviral remdesivir: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...al/ar-BB13mWnY
                  Weird, no control group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Weird, no control group.
                    Yeah, it is weak sauce to be sure. I suspect many drug makers will push products that may have minimal benefits for this.

Comment

• "In the global race to find a vaccine, Oxford University just jumped way ahead of the pack. Human testing is already underway, and scientists say they're hopeful a coronavirus vaccine will be widely available by September.

Technology the lab had already developed in previous work on inoculations for other viruses, including a close relative of COVID-19, gave it a head start.

"Well personally, I have a high degree of confidence about this vaccine, because it's technology that I've used before," said Sarah Gilbert, a professor of vaccinology at the university."

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                        I just watched a video by a doctor where he used a case study to discuss the potential benefits and dangers of Chloroquine. A husband and wife, to try to provide defense against possible CV-19 infection, took a form of Chloroquine (in an aquarium cleaner), got very sick and went to the emergency room. The man's heart developed an arrhythmia (sp?) and he died but the woman was saved thru treatment. The doc said that Chloroquine is poisonous if the dosage is too high and that it can be very easy to take an overdose. He also questioned the methodology of the French study which evidently is the basis for the recent claims of HCQ's efficacy against CV-19. He said that both Hydroxychloroquine and plain Quinine are similar to Chloroquine in their effects and altho they work against malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis and may also work against CV-19, we still don't have a very good understanding of exactly how they work. It looks like none of these substances should ever be taken unless under a competent doctor's supervision. I'm now wondering how competent the medical personnel in the VA study were. I'm thinking not very.
                        Seems like there might be a little more to that story:
                        Homicide detectives in Arizona have opened an investigation into the death of the 68-year-old Mesa City man who drank chloroquine phosphate to stave off the coronavirus, according to a report. Gary…

Crazy if true.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                          Homicide detectives in Arizona have opened an investigation into the death of the 68-year-old Mesa City man who drank chloroquine phosphate to stave off the coronavirus, according to a report. Gary…

Crazy if true.
                          They should have known it was coming, assault with a birdhouse is a gateway crime......
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            They should have known it was coming, assault with a birdhouse is a gateway crime......
                            LOL, I don’t believe I have ever sign ‘assault with a birdhouse’ before.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post

Crazy if true.
                              LOL, this evidently is a separate case of a husband and wife ingesting aquarium cleaner. Here is the video I saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILowf7Tw7QY

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                I fully expected these people to be from Florida.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X