Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Once Biden's actual inability to form sentences or finish complete thoughts, or remember who people are, what position they're running for, what position he's running for, etc., as the projected nominee, he could face a level of scrutiny he hasn't to this point. With media in the tank, it's an unlikely scenario, but I don't underestimate the ability of Biden to both gaffe and look horribly senile in very public ways that could sink his campaign if given proper attention.

Saying "Trump vs Biden on mental decline is a wash" is shallow analysis. Dems will be legitimately concerned and stay home, independents will vote for the devil they know with a more functional speaker. That's all it will come down to. Voters are not politically educated, clearly. Trump will crush him on general mental and verbal competance. I say this as someone who previously claimed Trump would be ousted for mental instability, but I honestly think Trumpists have drunk the Kool-Aid that they're in the Mad King party, and Dems and Independents won't muster the energy to back a senility case like Biden.
    I think I may be the only one who has apporached the level of concern you have over Biden's gaffes, mental slips, and mis-remembering (or lying). But I think you over overstate things here. Even a diminished Biden, and I agree with you that he is, is more consistently articulate than Donald Trump. In fact, Trump may be the only candidate in history against whom Biden's own incoherence cannot be weaponized effectively. The left can match and surpass every example of Biden's incoherence with Trump's. Easily. Again, I agree with you to a point, but that idea that Trump can crush anyone, even someone who I see as clearly diminished, on "general mental and verbal competence" is absurd--how can a pot call a kettle anything? If Biden loses this election, which I think he could (but do not agree it is a certainty like you do), it won't be because of the stark contrast between Biden and Trump as clear, coherent communicators. And to the point that Republicans are more willing to buy into an incoherent leader than Dems, well, that was a case you could make before last night, but not anymore. Voters on the left have made their choice, and they chose the guy who sometimes likes to make word salads.

ETA: I should add, not unless Biden has a stroke that makes him unable to communicate at all, but even then it is basically a tie.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-04-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• I feel compelled to state again, because I've been doing a lot of Biden bashing the last day, that I really don't see him as a bad person, like TW and some others. I like him. I'm not enthusiastic about his tepid and uninspiring policies, but I will not have to hold my nose to vote for him. I will still be eager to cast my vote in 2020, but now that eagerness is fueled by getting rid of Trump almost exclusively, rather than excitement for significant changes in the status quo. Biden represents a return to the status quo, which I know disappoints many, including me. But I do see the status quo as a big upgrade on what we have now with Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I feel compelled to state again, because I've been doing a lot of Biden bashing the last day, that I really don't see him as a bad person, like TW and some others. I like him.

So do "health care" execs. I should have hedged my bets and invested in these companies.

Dow surges more than 600 points at the open as Biden Super Tuesday victories boost health care stocks https://cnb.cx/2Il0EF2
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• The calendar does not favor Bernie:

March 10
          Idaho - Bernie
          Michigan - Biden
          Mississippi - Biden
          Missouri - Biden
          N. Dakota - Biden
          Washington - too close to call

March 17
          Arizona - Biden
          Florida - Biden
          Illinois - Biden
          Ohio - Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            The calendar does not favor Bernie:

March 10
            Idaho - Bernie
            Michigan - Biden
            Mississippi - Biden
            Missouri - Biden
            N. Dakota - Biden
            Washington - too close to call

March 17
            Arizona - Biden
            Florida - Biden
            Illinois - Biden
            Ohio - Biden
            The calendar isn't the problem, it's all those Biden wins you are showing
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Gentlemen, sorry for joining the party late but as you might expect, yesterday/last night was kinda busy out here in Cali. All in all a night we expected here on the Coast, once all the Cali delegates are awarded, Sanders and Biden should be in a dead heat with 2/3s of the National delegates still in play. I have to had it to Bernie, even though there's a full court Never Sanders campaign out in force, he's holding up and staying true to his message.

I do have to hand it to the Democratic Establishment, they're playing this brilliantly--To wait and see who came out of S Carolina to decide who was dropping out before Super Tuesday was smart and absolutely Bolstered Biden (just look at the Minn results if you think it wasn't impactful) Though a Bloomberg endorsement, speaks volumes--Same Ol shit where Money is once again going to decide for the few over the good of the many, but hey--That's the System as we've been told in here. A system that works for some NOT all, but hey some folks are ok with that. They TRUST the system because it works for them and they're ok with incremental change in their favored direction because--their kids/grand kids et al won't have to worry about the things so many OTHER Americans have to worry about daily, right now, yesterday, tomorrow before their Heat/electricity is turned off, before they have to decide how much MORE debt the should run up to see if this cough is something more severe, on weather or not to break the window of a car the steal the change from it's cup holder because they have eaten in days.

Driving people to the polls yesterday allowed me to hear a great number of stories about WHY people are voting for Sanders--all most to a person, they said it was because they believed he cares about their plight, that his policies will help them NOW, not 10+ years down the road. His agenda is for ALL people to have a quality lifestyle even if it means diminishing the super wealthy's lot in life.

I ran into a friend I've known for 40+ years who's been on and off the street for a decade or so, doing a bit better which was nice to hear, but in that 10 years or so (since I last saw him) he's lost most of his teeth (in the front) which is sue to many things, but mostly--not having the money or coverage to get them fixed. It's unsightly and very noticeable and impacts his ability to get any job where he has to deal with other people. Not to mention how it impacts his ability to function (eat) on a daily basis. This is just one guy I happen to know (there are millions of others in similar straights)

Bernie fights for these people, to change their lives NOW--Sanders isn't going anywhere until they vote him out at the convention. He went there 400 EVs down last time and he should be closer this time. What Warren does will be key and right now, there isn't anyone who can say with certainty, that they know which way she'll go.

I CAN say, that as much as I love and respect you Fly--You're not a progressive. You might want to rebrand centrists Dems with that Moniker and push Sanders over into Che Guevara land, but No --You're the status Quo. And that's ok, just don't steal are gloss, cuz you know--Romey don't allow any self glossing here in the Jungle.

Now that it's Biden and Sanders I can say I'll be voting for either of these guys--I still believe Sanders stands a better chance at winning, but I don't have much against Biden, though I do think he's got quite a bit he needs to work on.

It's should be a battle down the stretch and as we've seen, the ebbs and flows of primaries can come and go in an instant so.....wait for Warren to do what she's gonna do--If she stays in the race or drops out without endorsing Sanders, she's in for the Moderates. If she's a real progressive as she touts herself and has touted in the past) she'll drop out and endorse Bernie. If that's what happens--It's anybody's race.

Now to enjoy an well earned day off.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                So do "health care" execs. I should have hedged my bets and invested in these companies.

Dow surges more than 600 points at the open as Biden Super Tuesday victories boost health care stocks https://cnb.cx/2Il0EF2
                Yeah, what he will do for health care, and the environment, it does not excite me at all. Not many talk about the environment here, not as much as health care, but I really wanted progressive green policies as much as anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  It's should be a battle down the stretch and as we've seen, the ebbs and flows of primaries can come and go in an instant so.....wait for Warren to do what she's gonna do--If she stays in the race or drops out without endorsing Sanders, she's in for the Moderates. If she's a real progressive as she touts herself and has touted in the past) she'll drop out and endorse Bernie. If that's what happens--It's anybody's race.
                  You are showing admirable restraint in talking about Warren. I will say it for you and TW, even though like B-Fly (who I do think is a progressive, just as I think I am, but I get your perspective) I liked her wonkish, policy driven, work within the system to change it approach, but if she backs Biden over Sanders, what you and TW have been saying about her beg an opportunist will have been correct all along. Others might try to defend it as the smart play, so she can work with Biden to make progressive change. But I think it will prove guys like you right, and weaken her credibility as a progressive champion, which she has been for the last few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    This is just one guy I happen to know (there are millions of others in similar straights)
                    I don't know that many people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      You should get out more, join some clubs maybe ?
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I disagree.

Or is that only a thing with you and Feral?

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                          I disagree.

Or is that only a thing with you and Feral?
                          I'm very disagreeable so I think it's fair game.

Comment

Why do you think I'm here.... ? (it's not for the politics)

Comment

I'm sure there's a meetup that does half-hikes.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Why do you think I'm here.... ? (it's not for the politics)
                                I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X