No announcement yet.

Gun violence epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled the trigger..... I see what you did there.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

does anyone on here disagree that we should let the NIH study gun-caused deaths in the US?
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        does anyone on here disagree that we should let the NIH study gun-caused deaths in the US?
        What do you want to study? nearly 2/3 of gun deaths are due to suicide. That is just statistically the case. So are you looking to study the other 1/3? What are you hoping we find out?

Just curious what you think a study will reveal.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Suicide is part of it, timings between gun purchase and violence/suicide. types of guns used for violence, regional/seasonal patterns, gun safety/accidents, etc.

guns are killing 10s of thousands a year, let's figure out how to lower that number. Why are we different than other countries with gun/hunting cultures?
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Politifact article appears to confirm that most gun crime is done with guns obtained illegally.

https://www.politifact.com/new-york/...-crime-rep-fa/

"Our ruling

Faso said "The vast majority of crime that is gun related is committed by people who illegally are possessing that firearm."

People can differ on what constitutes a "vast majority." What's more, illegal gun crime is not well researched in the U.S. The latest data is more than a decade old. One analysis of the data showed Faso’s claim is not true in some states while true in others. But experts say most gun crime is likely committed by those who illegally possess guns.

His statement is accurate but needed additional information. We rate it Mostly True."

I would agree that it would make sense to find more up to date information, but it wouldnt surprise me if the same result came out to be true.

Comment

Why have laws when criminals will only break them?

I vote for The Purge.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

That is not what I am saying. Someone suggested that we do more research into gun violence. Im pointing out the things that we already know.

Of gun deaths a large majority are suicide.

Most gun violence is committed by those that obtain the gun illegally.

We also know that handguns account for more murders than do "assault weapons" https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081 "However most murders caused by guns involve handguns, according to FBI data."

We also know Mass shootings account for a small percentage of gun deaths... supported in same BBC link above.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

I vote for The Purge.
                  By the way - this inane meme has been thrown at me at least 3 or 4 times. You know for a fact that I do not believe this and yet you (and others) insist on perpetuating this. It's frustrating and distracts from the conversation.

Comment

I vote for The Purge.
                    See what I mean about expressing yourself like Trump?

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                      By the way - this inane meme has been thrown at me at least 3 or 4 times. You know for a fact that I do not believe this and yet you (and others) insist on perpetuating this. It's frustrating and distracts from the conversation.
                      Sorry to distract.

If "a large majority of gun deaths are suicide," how do you not see the correlation to higher rates of successful suicide? I would bet most suicides are by guns obtained legally, right? Criminals generally don't have the remorse for suicide, just using common sense (maybe I'm wrong?).

Is a higher rate of successful suicide something to celebrate? Are we glad these folks accomplished their goals? I respect the will of the individual, but would still limit their ability to inflict harm to themselves or others.

My cousin was 31 years old. She had just sent out wedding invitations to 200 people when her fiance decided to call the wedding off. By the time my invite arrived, she had already blown her brains out. Not saying her death was preventable, as her gun and ownership status were legal. Just saying there's a lot of people in the US who don't get a chance to put their life back together, as it's too easy in life to simply throw the controller against the wall.

I recognize that you accept some common sense reforms. I'd hope you see the need for some common sense solutions here. Just like the blister pack solution for pills.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Condolences on your cousins passing.
                        If she obtained the gun legally, what solution are you proposing to prevent the tragedy?

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          See what I mean about expressing yourself like Trump?

J
                          Hey 1J, nobody here takes you seriously. You are a joke, every single day you post. Possibly the only poster more reviled than I am...

Whatever floats your boat. I have zero interest in you, so stop humping my leg. Nobody was talking to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                            Condolences on your cousins passing.
                            If she obtained the gun legally, what solution are you proposing to prevent the tragedy?
                            I honestly dont know. It was a hunting rifle, I believe.

I'm simply stating a desire to limit the mass proliferation of guns, and pursuing any means to those ends. I havent looked into direct solutions to the legal suicide angle that would be any stricter than current Canadian law.

Comment

I vote for The Purge.
                              But, all you’d have left are the criminals.
                              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                                Most gun violence is committed by those that obtain the gun illegally.
                                How does one reduce the illegal acquisition of guns? One way is with serial numbers on both guns and ammo, linked to accomplice-like liability for legal gun owners who, either deliberately or through negligence, allow an unauthorized person to get a hold of their firearm and ammo.

Comment

Working...
                                X