Giving Credit to Fox News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Last year Harvard's Kennedy School over Government, Shorenstein Center did a study on media coverage for Trump's first 100 days. Fox was 52% negative/48% positive. For comparison, CNN was 93% negative/7% positive. According to the article, the real lesson is that Trump dominated the amount of coverage.
    A new report from Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy analyzes news coverage of President Trump’s first 100 days in office. The report is based on an analysis of news reports in the print editions of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post, the main …

J
    There's a huge difference between objectivity and a 50/50 split in "positive" or "negative" stories about the administration in power. I certainly don't mean to suggest that CNN or MSNBC have been objective, but Fox clearly has not been either. I ultimately think true objectivity is a pipe dream and that accuracy is both a more achievable and more important measure of credibility. There are enough different sources out there across the political spectrum for a consumer of news to largely get around problems of baised news curation/emphasis and even the insertion of opinion/editorializing in the delivery of fact reporting. The key is accuracy. Can the facts being reported by a given news source be trusted?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      There's a huge difference between objectivity and a 50/50 split in "positive" or "negative" stories about the administration in power. I certainly don't mean to suggest that CNN or MSNBC have been objective, but Fox clearly has not been either. I ultimately think true objectivity is a pipe dream and that accuracy is both a more achievable and more important measure of credibility. There are enough different sources out there across the political spectrum for a consumer of news to largely get around problems of baised news curation/emphasis and even the insertion of opinion/editorializing in the delivery of fact reporting. The key is accuracy. Can the facts being reported by a given news source be trusted?
      I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but I think it’s also fair the Obama benefited from a lot of fluff stories painting him or his family in a positive light (returning to Hawaii every year at Christmas, his brother in law the basketball coach, his stylish wife, his March Madness picks etc). A lot of different pieces to soften him or make him more relatable to everyone. I don’t think I have seen a fluff piece on Trump or his family. Maybe I missed them. I don’t know that it’s unfair necessarily, but I think it’s a pretty strong indicator that Trump has been treated differently.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
        I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but I think it’s also fair the Obama benefited from a lot of fluff stories painting him or his family in a positive light (returning to Hawaii every year at Christmas, his brother in law the basketball coach, his stylish wife, his March Madness picks etc). A lot of different pieces to soften him or make him more relatable to everyone. I don’t think I have seen a fluff piece on Trump or his family. Maybe I missed them. I don’t know that it’s unfair necessarily, but I think it’s a pretty strong indicator that Trump has been treated differently.
        I'm just guessing here, but maybe because Trump is a buffoon that cares about nobody but himself. What would a fluff piece on him be about? His failed businesses? How he makes fun of people? His juvenile nicknames for political opponents?
        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

What could they do a fluff piece on. He has pissed off all the sport world - they could do one on his golfing but wait he mentioned about a hundred times on his campaign that Obama golf to much and he wouldn’t have time to golf. Maybe a story on Mar lago but I’ m sure he has hardly gone there because another campaign promise he would be to busy to ever have time to leave DC.

Comment

Really, why would the press, who he famously declared the "Enemy of the People," do anything for him? His war with the media precedes him becoming president.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              Really, why would the press, who he famously declared the "Enemy of the People," do anything for him? His war with the media precedes him becoming president.
              Which came first, the chicken or the egg. And, I really don’t recall myself but it seems to me the longer he’s been in office, the angrier and hyper-critical of the press he’s become. MSNBC never had any Trump love. Fox did and still does more often than not in its “news” shows. CNN went in the bag against Trump almost immediately after the election results were in. I’ve said it many times, it’s as if they knew they were complicit in his election for all the free coverage they gave him during the primaries and general when they figured he’d never win, but “what a great story” he is.

Personally, I wouldn’t give Fox much credit for fair reporting.
              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                Which came first, the chicken or the egg. And, I really don’t recall myself but it seems to me the longer he’s been in office, the angrier and hyper-critical of the press he’s become. MSNBC never had any Trump love. Fox did and still does more often than not in its “news” shows. CNN went in the bag against Trump almost immediately after the election results were in. I’ve said it many times, it’s as if they knew they were complicit in his election for all the free coverage they gave him during the primaries and general when they figured he’d never win, but “what a great story” he is.

Personally, I wouldn’t give Fox much credit for fair reporting.
                Obviously Trump is a guy who has received press nearly his entire life. His "war" started with them when they started to declare him a "millionaire" and not a "billionaire" and he sued over that pettiness, and that was many years before he entered politics. Many people forget he was considered a joke, a has-been, by the time The Apprentice started. But he was largely ignored by the media in that period. Now, as president, with his cult followers in hand, calling the media "the enemy of the people" is downright dangerous.

If you constantly insult your local diner's cook, should you expect a better meal, or a loogie in your sandwich?

Comment

If you constantly insult your local diner's cook, should you expect a better meal, or a loogie in your sandwich?
                  OH!OH! I know this one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                    OH!OH! I know this one!!!
                    You've eaten too many loogie sandwiches!

Comment

If you constantly insult your local diner's manager, should you expect a better meal, or to get kicked out?
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        If you constantly insult your local diner's manager, should you expect a better meal, or to get kicked out?
                        Wah poor wittle Trumpy can't stand the heat, he's the only true victim here. Oh and all his white male snowflake supporters.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

You've eaten too many loogie sandwiches!
                          I'm an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Wah poor wittle Trumpy can't stand the heat, he's the only true victim here. Oh and all his white male snowflake supporters.
                            Take it easy on him -- CBB is backed into a corner and has resorted to almost constant use of the Pee Wee Herman "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I" defense.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                You're right -- where can we kick Trump to?

Comment

Working...
                                X