Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
    Can't hurt to hedge one's bets, right?
    My ultra-religious (Catholic) friend's father actually once made this argument to me as to why I should believe. Just in case, why wouldn't I want to be on His good side. He's also an ER Dr.

My friend, who was rebellious like me in our youth, is about to have his 9th child and somehow became even more fanatical than his parents.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Mark Twain said that when he was 18 he thought his father was the dumbest man on Earth. When he was 20, he was amazed how much his father learned in such a short time.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I do wonder how many people who intellectually doubt or disbelieve (throughout history) have continued to purport and perform belief either out of fear of being wrong, or, probably more likely, fear of the reaction of their family, their community or in some cultures their government should they openly express their doubt or disbelief?

Comment

Here's a question for all of you: Was there an "aha!" moment for you in arriving at your current level of belief or disbelief in G-d? Or was your current level of belief/disbelief something that either always existed or settled in so gradually that you can't really pinpoint when or why you arrived where you are?

For me, I have no recollection of ever believing in G-d, despite that I was brought to synagogue services and sent to Hebrew School as a child. (My parents kept kosher in the house and being Jewish was always (and remains) integral to my identity, but I don't recall my parents specifically ever telling me what they believed to be "true" about the religion. By the time I have memory of speaking with them about their own beliefs before I already self-identified as atheist. (My Dad doesn't know but thinks it doesn't really matter whether you believe in G-d or Truth or not - you honor and draw community and comfort from the traditions; my Mom believes in G-d but not necessarily in the Truth of scripture, and puts far less stock in ritual observances).

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            Here's a question for all of you: Was there an "aha!" moment for you in arriving at your current level of belief or disbelief in G-d? Or was your current level of belief/disbelief something that either always existed or settled in so gradually that you can't really pinpoint when or why you arrived where you are?

For me, I have no recollection of ever believing in G-d, despite that I was brought to synagogue services and sent to Hebrew School as a child. (My parents kept kosher in the house and being Jewish was always (and remains) integral to my identity, but I don't recall my parents specifically ever telling me what they believed to be "true" about the religion. By the time I have memory of speaking with them about their own beliefs before I already self-identified as atheist. (My Dad doesn't know but thinks it doesn't really matter whether you believe in G-d or Truth or not - you honor and draw community and comfort from the traditions; my Mom believes in G-d but not necessarily in the Truth of scripture, and puts far less stock in ritual observances).
            My beliefs were pretty shaken when I got sick at 14 with cancer. First of all, being sick at that young age and second, seeing all the other kids who were sick, many of whom did not make it out of the hospital alive, really made it difficult to believe strongly in a higher power. Pretty much subscribing to the belief that while a truly omnipotent God could allow for free will (explaining horrible events like the Holocaust, theoretically), what do you make of the pediatric ward at Sloan Kettering? That being said, I still go to temple on the high holidays, I still fast on Yom Kippur and I still avoid bread on Passover. I also plan on having both my sons Bar Mitzvah'd, so go figure.

Comment

My parents didn't decide I should be baptized until I was eight (my siblings were six and three). Then they tried making up for lost time, dragging us to church every Sunday and weekly CCD classes. I quickly tuned out because I found it to be nonsense. The final straw was in 8th grade when I refused to complete the work required to receive my confirmation. My parents then threatened to send me to military school and I made it very clear I would be gone if they did. So, we compromised and I went to an all-boys Catholic school, which I hated. I was constantly in trouble and, if not for my top-in- the-class ACT scores, I would have been kicked out after showing up drunk to a school function and going after the "Dean of Discipline" (who the following year beat a kid with a putter and was sent on sabbatical somewhere in Africa). They got vengeance by kicking out my brother a couple years later after he failed a class. If the child molestation scandal had broken during my tenure, there's not a chance I would've graduated.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                My beliefs were pretty shaken when I got sick at 14 with cancer. First of all, being sick at that young age and second, seeing all the other kids who were sick, many of whom did not make it out of the hospital alive, really made it difficult to believe strongly in a higher power. Pretty much subscribing to the belief that while a truly omnipotent God could allow for free will (explaining horrible events like the Holocaust, theoretically), what do you make of the pediatric ward at Sloan Kettering? That being said, I still go to temple on the high holidays, I still fast on Yom Kippur and I still avoid bread on Passover. I also plan on having both my sons Bar Mitzvah'd, so go figure.
                I hear you, but I think that's in some ways a pretty uniquely Jewish thing - we perform certain religious rituals as part of a commitment to our history and heritage, our community and identity. I too perform those things (except for avoiding bread on Passover - I dropped that), send my kids to Hebrew School, and will have my kids Bat/Bar Mitzvah'd.

Comment

I hear you, but I think that's in some ways a pretty uniquely Jewish thing - we perform certain religious rituals as part of a commitment to our history and heritage, our community and identity. I too perform those things (except for avoiding bread on Passover - I dropped that), send my kids to Hebrew School, and will have my kids Bat/Bar Mitzvah'd.
                  The majority of my closest group of friends are Jewish and they are the same way (atheist but still raising their kids within Jewish traditions).
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

I too perform those things (except for avoiding bread on Passover - I dropped that
                    It's a good low-carb diet for a week :-)

Comment

I do sympathize with the mystical mindset, which transcends religions, and wear an ohm pendant that was a gift from my mother-in-law.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Oh, and if you really want to see god, smoke some DMT. That is hands down the most "religious" experience of my life.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Oh, and if you really want to see god, smoke some DMT. That is hands down the most "religious" experience of my life.
                          If you know where I can find some, I'd give it a try, on an off day, if the effects can wear off before I get the kids from school!

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            If you know where I can find some, I'd give it a try, on an off day, if the effects can wear off before I get the kids from school!
                            The trip itself lasts about 90 seconds, and the after effects linger at most a couple hours.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              The trip itself lasts about 90 seconds, and the after effects linger at most a couple hours.
                              How long does the 90 seconds feel like?

I would try it too, but I've heard the trip feels as if it stretches out for years, and that scares me a bit.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                How long does the 90 seconds feel like?

I would try it too, but I've heard the trip feels as if it stretches out for years, and that scares me a bit.
                                DMT untethers our consciousness from the shackles of space/time so yes it can feel like an eternity. But, other than a fleeting bout of anxiety from the overwhelming weirdness, it's very euphoric.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X