Abortion Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    BG doesn't get to the same conclusion though. He talks about the merits of abstinence education. I think an explanation to kids of the concept of abstinence is fine, but it has to be followed with " be prepared to have safe sex, even if you dont plan on having sex yet." As well as all the newest sex education info.

I would hope BG would agree with my conclusion. Abstinence should never be the primary focus of sex ed. That's like the opposite of sex ed.
    I read BG as endorsing comprehensive sex education, jumping off with the concept of abstinence as the only "birth control method" guaranteed to prevent unplanned/unwanted pregnancy. I'm fine with that. As you note, it then has to be followed with other methods of birth control/disease prevention should one engage in sexual activity.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      I would include abstinence in the education as it is a 100% way to avoid pregnancy. That said - I agree - strictly abstinence based is short sighted and is based on some idea that pre-marital sex just doesnt occur. This is a topic where young adults need to be provided with as much information as possible in order to make decisions keeping them from getting into the position of have to make a decision about abortion.
      HEY TW -
      Read much - or only the part that you want to remember? Cmon - Im the one who agreed with DMT here who actually stated that abstinence based is short sighted.

Just because I say that I would include it - doesnt mean that is the only thing that should be taught. You know that part about "where young adults need to be provided with as much information as possible.."

But you keep making me out to be the intolerant ultra conservative guy.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

HEY TW -
        Read much - or only the part that you want to remember? Cmon - Im the one who agreed with DMT here who actually stated that abstinence based is short sighted.

Just because I say that I would include it - doesnt mean that is the only thing that should be taught. You know that part about "where young adults need to be provided with as much information as possible.."

But you keep making me out to be the intolerant ultra conservative guy.
        Hey, I wasn't making any accusations, I was trying to clarify!

I appreciate the clarification, but dont assume I'm out to get you.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I think we can all agree that the trend here is very good, no?

The United States’ abortion rate has fallen dramatically over the past decade, new federal data shows.

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that the national abortion rate declined 26 percent between 2006 and 2015, hitting the lowest level that the government has on record.

The abortion ratio — the proportion of abortions to live births — is also down to historic lows. In 2005, the abortion ratio was about 233 abortions for every 1,000 live births; in 2015, it was 188 abortions for 1,000 live births.

This decline in abortions is happening amid other positive trends in reproductive health. The number of teen pregnancies in the United States, for example, has decreased dramatically since the 1990s — and a lot of that seems to have to do with young adults using better contraception.

At a very basic level, it's obvious: If you want fewer abortions, the best way to achieve that is affirmatively to help women avoid unwanted pregnancies.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            I think we can all agree that the trend here is very good, no?

At a very basic level, it's obvious: If you want fewer abortions, the best way to achieve that is affirmatively to help women avoid unwanted pregnancies.
            Excellent indeed! Now if we could just eliminate funding for "abstinence-only education" programs, that number would likely fall even further.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Excellent indeed! Now if we could just eliminate funding for "abstinence-only education" programs, that number would likely fall even further.
              Agreed - we have to fully teach our children how to avoid having children. This education should range from abstinence to various forms of birth control. One has to admit that making sure we teach the surest way not to conceive babies should at a minimum be in the curriculum. That said, we should recognize that many youth and young adults have sexual relationships, and if we dont teach them about birth control we are doing them no favors.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Agreed - we have to fully teach our children how to avoid having children. This education should range from abstinence to various forms of birth control. One has to admit that making sure we teach the surest way not to conceive babies should at a minimum be in the curriculum. That said, we should recognize that many youth and young adults have sexual relationships, and if we dont teach them about birth control we are doing them no favors.
                Right, but there's not a single program that I'm aware that ignores abstinence.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  not pro-choice, pro-abortion. I think that there is no more unalienable right than the right to control ones own reproductive process. I'd also be 100% fine with a date set in the 20-24 week range where abortion is only available to protect the health of the mother.

I think that more people should have abortions than they do now. I also think that if you go on welfare, you should have to get temporarily sterilized until you come off welfare.
                  Wait what?

Insert *notsureifserious* face

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Wait what?

Insert *notsureifserious* face
                    Continue reading - he is serious.....

Comment

Continue reading - he is serious.....
                      2 pages of boilerplate partisan pro-anti abortion comments, and everyone just ignores the forced sterilization comment

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        2 pages of boilerplate partisan pro-anti abortion comments, and everyone just ignores the forced sterilization comment
                        actually - I believe ITC asked him about this.

Comment

I stand by it although I know it is extreme. I also would make it temporary and reverseable, like with the Norplant. It would also need to apply to men and women.
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

actually - I believe ITC asked him about this.
                            I did ask about it, and I'm still a little confused by the idea of mandating some type of birth control. It just seems that for someone pro-abortion, the idea that a woman has the right to do whatever she wants to her body, would want to implement something like this.

I'm pro-life, but I agree that abortion should be legal. I want woman who make the decision to terminate their pregnancy to be able to do it in as safe a way as possible.
                            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

If you are going to be carried on the government dime, you need to be focused on improving yourself, your situation, your skills, not raising an infant (or impregnating women) in my opinion, which I understand is extreme.....
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                If you are going to be carried on the government dime, you need to be focused on improving yourself, your situation, your skills, not raising an infant (or impregnating women) in my opinion, which I understand is extreme.....
                                Do we do that for:
                                • Parents with kids on free and reduced lunch
                                • 100% disabled people
                                • Students with financial aid
                                • Those receiving a subsidy from the ACA

Where do draw the line?
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X