No announcement yet.

#___ingwhileblack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't advocate for violence. The more mature, rational part of my brain understands that a violent response is generally not an appropriate one. But I do sometimes see how confident some of these physically weak people are in saying the most vile things to others and wonder and a tiny part of my brain laments what we lost as we've become more civilized and moved away from wild west justice. Some people just don't think they will get punched these days. It's little yippy dog syndrome. You look around that lady on the bus, and like 90% of the people there could take that woman out if she got into a physical confrontation, but she knows we live in a polite society where that is very unlikely to happen. That is a good thing, but I do wonder if she'd act that way if she had a bit of fear of her getting her butt kicked.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-12-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Having a high tolerance for racism doesn't make you a more tolerant person.
      Thanks, I think. But, nevertheless, you be you!
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• It's yet another double feature of "TrumpWorld!"

Episode 1 -
        "Shopping at CVS While Black" -- starring a shaky, white, empowered-by-Trump, middle manager as "Coupon Carl":

CVS Health Corp. apologized to an African-American woman on Monday after a manager of one of its Chicago stores, who was also president of the Illinois Log Cabin Republicans chapter and a delegate for Trump in 2016, wrongly accused her of using a counterfeit coupon and called the police on her.

Two employees who were involved in the Friday night incident "are no longer employed by CVS Health,” the national drugstore chain added in a statement.
        CVS Health apologized to an African-American woman Monday after employees of one of its Chicago stores accused her of using a counterfeit coupon and called the police

Episode 2-
        "Just Hangin' with the kid While Black" -- starring a soft-spoken, condescending, empowered soccer mom as "Sidewalk Susie":

The head of a Harvard-linked research center is being ridiculed as “Sidewalk Susie” after a viral, cringe-worthy video caught the woman trying to order a mom and her biracial child to get away from her home and then condescendingly asking the family if they live in “affordable housing.”

The confrontation happened Saturday in Cambridge when Theresa Lund – executive director of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative – came out of her apartment to complain about noise allegedly being made by Alyson Laliberte’s toddler on the sidewalk outside the building.

“I’m sitting here because you’re preventing my children from sleeping. Would you like me to do that to your kids?” said Lund, wearing a purple T-shirt, running shorts and her hair tied back.

Laliberte answered: “Who is even watching your kids right now. Are you? Cause you’re not, you’re here with me and my kid.”

That’s when Lund, who is white, accused Laliberte of being poor.

“Are you one of the affordable units? Or are you one of the Harvard units?” Lund said in the video that’s been viewed more than 9,500 times by Monday night.
        The head of a Harvard-linked research center is being ridiculed as “Sidewalk Susie” after a viral, cringe-worthy video caught the woman trying to order a mom and her biracial child to g…

Comment

• To be fair, Revo, I certainly see no evidence that Episode 2 is remotely attributable to "Trump World" (and as I said in my original post, I think this sort of thing is much bigger than Trump and has been happening to people of color since, well, forever). But Episode 2 looks like an educated, liberal white woman exhibiting class bias, more than racial bias, but either way being pretty obnoxious. (I don't believe Laliberte is black, though her daughter is biracial.) "Sidewalk Susie" has acknowledged that she blew it in how she handled the encounter, as noted in the Post story. And it's also interesting to me that the NY Post would report this as another racial bias encounter when The Root, which reports like five of these a day, didn't even note it.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            To be fair, Revo, I certainly see no evidence that Episode 2 is remotely attributable to "Trump World" (and as I said in my original post, I think this sort of thing is much bigger than Trump and has been happening to people of color since, well, forever). But Episode 2 looks like an educated, liberal white woman exhibiting class bias, more than racial bias, but either way being pretty obnoxious. (I don't believe Laliberte is black, though her daughter is biracial.) "Sidewalk Susie" has acknowledged that she blew it in how she handled the encounter, as noted in the Post story. And it's also interesting to me that the NY Post would report this as another racial bias encounter when The Root, which reports like five of these a day, didn't even note it.
            Yeah, white liberals are certainly not except from this sort of poor behavior. The irony of her professional title is dumbfounding. I really don't know why people can't start these confrontations with politeness. It often goes a long way with most folks.

Comment

To be fair, Revo, I certainly see no evidence that Episode 2 is remotely attributable to "Trump World" (and as I said in my original post, I think this sort of thing is much bigger than Trump and has been happening to people of color since, well, forever). But Episode 2 looks like an educated, liberal white woman exhibiting class bias, more than racial bias, but either way being pretty obnoxious. (I don't believe Laliberte is black, though her daughter is biracial.) "Sidewalk Susie" has acknowledged that she blew it in how she handled the encounter, as noted in the Post story. And it's also interesting to me that the NY Post would report this as another racial bias encounter when The Root, which reports like five of these a day, didn't even note it.
              Yeah, that's why I didn't add the "empowered-by-Trump" label. Maybe she just had a bad day!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Yeah, that's why I didn't add the "empowered-by-Trump" label. Maybe she just had a bad day!
                So when is it a "bad day" versus bias?
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                  I know, I know. Pick me.

Ok now I’m done! [cough]bullshit, but I’m really trying![/cough]
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                    I don't think it was just a "bad day". Her comments about "affordable units" were clearly classist and maybe, despite that the other woman was white, had racist undercurrents. But acknowledging that you were in the wrong certainly is better than doubling down. And she didn't call the cops. (Maybe she would have if the other mother was Black.)

Comment

• Trying to Get Into a Nightclub While Black

Nestled among the idyllic seaside Confederate monuments and the genteel reminders of slavery, a brand new nightclub in Charleston, SC has come under fire for trying to make nightclubs great again by repeatedly barring entry to anyone who might dance on beat or use a washcloth instead of mayo pomegranate-scented body…

Mostly I'm posting this because Michael Harriot's write up is hilarious.

Comment

Trying to Get Into a Nightclub While Black

Nestled among the idyllic seaside Confederate monuments and the genteel reminders of slavery, a brand new nightclub in Charleston, SC has come under fire for trying to make nightclubs great again by repeatedly barring entry to anyone who might dance on beat or use a washcloth instead of mayo pomegranate-scented body…

Mostly I'm posting this because Michael Harriot's write up is hilarious.
                        Dude... can't we white, heterosexuals have just ONE thing that is ours!?!?! I mean aside from nearly everything else? Can't we just have this too?
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I once went with a couple of white colleagues to a high-end nightclub in Cleveland as a guest of Sleepy Floyd (!).
                          It wasn't EXACTLY No Whites Allowed - but it was close.

actually was a good learning experience about getting the "hairy eyeball" anywhere you turned...
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Today's episode:

"Driving While Black"

"A state contractor from Ohio followed a black man to his home, posted up in front of his driveway and then called him the N-word repeatedly — all because he thought the man cut him off while driving. “I just want to let you know what a n—er you’re being,” the contractor said, with cell phone video showing the entire confrontation. “You wanna let me know how much of a n—er I am?” asked Charles Lovett, the black man being accosted. “Yeah, I want to let you personally know how much of a n—er you are,” the contractor fires back. Questioned by Lovett as to why he is making this assessment, the man says: “Because you’re a rude n—er … You cut me off in my lane.” He then adds, “You cut me off because you feel entitled — because you get everything for free.”

Epilogue:
                            A contractor in Ohio who followed a black man home and called him the N-word repeatedly tried to blame it all away as an “awful mistake” – saying the racist rant drove him out of business and ruined his life.

Jeffrey Whitman, who owns Uriah’s Heating and Cooling in Powell, was driving his company van last Tuesday in Columbus when he accused another driver of cutting him off and followed the driver, Charles Lovett, for nearly two miles to his home – where the contractor launched into the racist tirade.

Whitman said he now wanted to make amends for the hateful remarks, but stopped short of apologizing directly to Lovett, the Columbus Dispatch reported.

“It was an awful mistake and obviously I don’t know how to explain it, and it’s ruined my life and it’s ruined my family’s life,” Whitman said on a voicemail to a reporter on Thursday, two days after a video of the encounter was posted to Facebook and went viral.

“I’m out of business, I’m completely out, I’m done, I’ll never work in Columbus again,” the voicemail continued. “This has completely and thoroughly ruined my life.”

Comment

• B-O-O H-O-O

Happy this guy is paying the consequences. "It's ruined my life". No, that's YOU dipshit.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                B-O-O H-O-O

Happy this guy is paying the consequences. "It's ruined my life". No, that's YOU dipshit.
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X