#___ingwhileblack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    I agree with Judge Jude. I don't think there is more danger for unsupervised children now than there was 20, 30 or 40 years ago, just a greater perception of danger and a greater level of cultural agreement/norming that says it's the parents' job to actively supervise/protect their kids against those risks that have always existed.
    What are your thoughts on sex trafficing of minors. Would that be included, or excluded. Is it status quo in the US or growing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I have no stats to back up my perception. I also would welcome you to provide stats that times are better/safer (I could use some good news).

In the last two months there have been two murders with in 1.5 miles of my house. The last one yesterday about 6 blocks from my house.

I also think that I posted last year that a bomb maker was arrested 1/2 block away.

I never had any of this in my life growing up.

This is my reality. I admit it may play some on my perception.
      Crimes against children (much like crime overall) has definitely been trending materially down since the early 1990's. Of course, one might argue that one of the reasons for this could be more cautious/protective/preventive parenting.

By 2014, the rate of violent victimization (which includes rape, robbery, aggravated and simple assaults) for adolescents ages 12 to 20 had fallen to a sixth of what it was from the mid 1990s, from a high of 181 victimizations per 1,000 population, to 27 victimizations per 1,000. There were major reductions in most types of violent crime, including simple assault, aggravated assault, and robbery, during this period. For example, between 1994 and 2014 rates of aggravated assault victimization fell from 38.4 to 4.3 per 1,000 adolescents ages 12 to 20.

There have been some fascinating and encouraging developments in child victimization that have not received much publicity and run counter to popular perception. Certain types of abuse and crimes against children have been declining since the early 1990s.
      ##From 1990 to 2007, substantiated cases of child sexual abuse have declined 53% and physical abuse substantiations have declined 52%. Child neglect has declined only 6%, mostly fluctuating over the same period.
      ##From 1993 to 2005, sexual assaults on teenagers decreased by 52%. The subgroup of assaults by known persons decreased even more dramatically.
      ##Other crimes against children 12 to 17 years old have also declined: ##Aggravated assault down 69%
      ##Simple assault down 59%
      ##Robbery down 62%
      ##Larceny down 54%

While the long-term trends are encouraging, the reasons for them remain unclear. An improving economy, advances in psychopharmacology, changes in social values, and more effective interventions, are among the factors that, most likely working in concert, may have contributed to this downward trend in child victimization. Research is ongoing.
      There have been some fascinating and encouraging developments in child victimization that have not received much publicity and run counter to popular perception.

Comment

What are your thoughts on sex trafficing of minors. Would that be included, or excluded. Is it status quo in the US or growing?
        On this one I'm having difficulty with the data I'm finding out there. In the US, investigation and prosecution of human trafficking (including sex trafficking and labor trafficking), has been increasing since the passage of the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000. So the numbers of victims reported and trafficking crimes investigated and persecuted are definitely up, but unclear whether that's the result of more attention being paid versus an actual increase in such trafficking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          That dude handled that gal so much better than I would have. The age of cell phone videos has really helped highlight thus behavior, which I think is a good thing for our society to be able to take a hard look at. The fact that she followed him to his apartment, saw him open it, saw him calmly give her his name and politely told her while showing her she was wrong to do that, and then STILL CALLED THE POLICE ON HIM is the worst part for me. But I've already made that point before. So many are so clueless about how horrible and potentially dangerous it us to escalate their petty racism and biases to the level of calling the police. It takes it to another level.
          Curious, what are thoughts on the followup stories coming out on this one?

For example,

Hilary Thornton made headlines when her neighbor, D'Arreion Toles, recorded her blocking his entry into their building. Now she's defending her actions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Curious, what are thoughts on the followup stories coming out on this one?

For example,

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/apar...164738743.html
            I think this fits in with the idea that I've tried to articulate in this thread previously that we cannot always know the motives for such acts--they may not be entirely racially motivated, although that is the context in which they are presented. However, as I've tried to pitch on these cases before, rather than quibble about internal motivations in ambiguous cases, let's address larger issues that are still issues regardless of racist motivation. I've made that pitch with police training--it isn't just about racist cops, which is certainly part of it, it is about overall training and threat assessment and response. A few posts up, I tried to make a similar point about how poorly people are at conflict resolution in general, and how quick they are to call the police. I stand by my original assessment of this case, even with the new info, not because she was a cautious rule follower, but because I don't see a justification for calling the police once the man proved he lived in the building. He opened the door with his own key. He did it calmly. There was no one behind him surprised and screaming some strange man was in the apartment. Why cal the police at that point? That was always the main thing I didn't understand with this incident, and still don't.

On a related note, I get these rules, but they always involve judgment calls on how to handle them. Both my young boys are at a pre-school--a JCC. Ever since the bomb threats awhile back, there are signs at every entrance imploring parents to not hold the door open for others. It did not work work, as no one wanted to be impolite, so they changed it to state, if you don't know the person, don't do it. That worked better, but despite obviously caring about my sons' safety, I still only follow the rule on a case by case basis. If I see someone with a kid, I assume they have a reason to be there.. If I see an 85 year old with a towel, I assume they are going to the pool. If I do see someone that I don't know, no kids, that I think I should not hold the door for, I just don't hold the door. That's it. They can't get in. She could have just let the door close behind her and either ignored his request to hold it open or open it or, if pressed, politely reminded him of the condo policy, which he should have known. I'm unclear if he had his key fob, but she should have just asked him to use it, and explained why. Especially in this sensitive time period, she should have emphasized why. Or, again, avoided this all together by simply closing the door behind her. Or just being more tactful. She should have covertly followed him if suspicious and then felt assured once he went into his apartment. Instead, she used entitled, I'm the boss language about how it was HER building, and she was the boss.

Now, do her actions warrant she losing her job and death threats? No, they do not. While I feel bad about the impact it has had on her life not fitting the crime, that is an unfortunate by-product of the moment we are in. And it isn't what the man was calling for, btw. So the media is to blame for that, not the guy, who I still think handled this well, even if the media has not. To that point, just as a lot of white folks ignore calls for police accountability and instead respond to black folks about needing to know the rules of what to do when a cop stops you are you may get shot (hands on wheel, etc), untilt he media is more careful with such cases, in this time, she should know the rules on how to act so that people don't assume you are a racist busy-body.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I think this fits in with the idea that I've tried to articulate in this thread previously that we cannot always know the motives for such acts--they may not be entirely racially motivated, although that is the context in which they are presented. However, as I've tried to pitch on these cases before, rather than quibble about internal motivations in ambiguous cases, let's address larger issues that are still issues regardless of racist motivation. I've made that pitch with police training--it isn't just about racist cops, which is certainly part of it, it is about overall training and threat assessment and response. A few posts up, I tried to make a similar point about how poorly people are at conflict resolution in general, and how quick they are to call the police. I stand by my original assessment of this case, even with the new info, not because she was a cautious rule follower, but because I don't see a justification for calling the police once the man proved he lived in the building. He opened the door with his own key. He did it calmly. There was no one behind him surprised and screaming some strange man was in the apartment. Why cal the police at that point? That was always the main thing I didn't understand with this incident, and still don't.

On a related note, I get these rules, but they always involve judgment calls on how to handle them. Both my young boys are at a pre-school--a JCC. Ever since the bomb threats awhile back, there are signs at every entrance imploring parents to not hold the door open for others. It did not work work, as no one wanted to be impolite, so they changed it to state, if you don't know the person, don't do it. That worked better, but despite obviously caring about my sons' safety, I still only follow the rule on a case by case basis. If I see someone with a kid, I assume they have a reason to be there.. If I see an 85 year old with a towel, I assume they are going to the pool. If I do see someone that I don't know, no kids, that I think I should not hold the door for, I just don't hold the door. That's it. They can't get in. She could have just let the door close behind her and either ignored his request to hold it open or open it or, if pressed, politely reminded him of the condo policy, which he should have known. I'm unclear if he had his key fob, but she should have just asked him to use it, and explained why. Especially in this sensitive time period, she should have emphasized why. Or, again, avoided this all together by simply closing the door behind her. Or just being more tactful. She should have covertly followed him if suspicious and then felt assured once he went into his apartment. Instead, she used entitled, I'm the boss language about how it was HER building, and she was the boss.

Now, do her actions warrant she losing her job and death threats? No, they do not. While I feel bad about the impact it has had on her life not fitting the crime, that is an unfortunate by-product of the moment we are in. And it isn't what the man was calling for, btw. So the media is to blame for that, not the guy, who I still think handled this well, even if the media has not. To that point, just as a lot of white folks ignore calls for police accountability and instead respond to black folks about needing to know the rules of what to do when a cop stops you are you may get shot (hands on wheel, etc), untilt he media is more careful with such cases, in this time, she should know the rules on how to act so that people don't assume you are a racist busy-body.
              Good post.

Comment

• I found a video, posted by a thoughtful rural white person that I think a lot of other rural white folks would benefit from seeing related to the racial tensions with law enforcement. As an added bonus, it is from a guy that looks and talks in a way that I know a lot of liberals and minorities would negatively prejudge him on. I always love when folks challenge people's preconceived notions.

Comment

• We're back!

Today's episode: "Being Black in an Apartment Parking Lot" starring Harriet the Hottie--

"This month alone, a white man threatened a black campaign volunteer with what he said was a gun. Many white women went viral when they called police or threatened to call police on black people who had done nothing wrong. Another white woman went viral when she doubted a black man lived in her apartment complex. And a white man was shamed online after he made racist remarks to a black woman on a plane.

A Charlotte, North Carolina, woman did all of these things in a seemingly drunken rant aimed at two black women, according to videos posted on Facebook Friday — and lost her job in the process.

"Hi, how are you? I’m hot. I’m beautiful. I’m 51. What are we going to talk about tonight? Being Hot? Being beautiful? Being white? Being, my new weave. Do you, do you live here?," a woman, now identified by her former employer as Susan Westwood can be heard saying in a video posted by Chele Garris.

"Why do we feel that we need to be here like hanging out like in this beautiful place?" Westwood asked Garris and her sister, who were waiting for AAA in the parking lot of Garris' sister's apartment building.

In the series of videos, Garris and her sister are heard numerous times trying to disengage with Westwood. But each time she walked away, she came back and twice shoved her phone in front of Garris' phone.

At one point, she stumbled away and dropped her phone, and as she picked it up, declared, "I’m still going to make $125,000 Monday morning."

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    We're back!

Today's episode: "Being Black in an Apartment Parking Lot" starring Harriet the Hottie--

"This month alone, a white man threatened a black campaign volunteer with what he said was a gun. Many white women went viral when they called police or threatened to call police on black people who had done nothing wrong. Another white woman went viral when she doubted a black man lived in her apartment complex. And a white man was shamed online after he made racist remarks to a black woman on a plane.

A Charlotte, North Carolina, woman did all of these things in a seemingly drunken rant aimed at two black women, according to videos posted on Facebook Friday — and lost her job in the process.

"Hi, how are you? I’m hot. I’m beautiful. I’m 51. What are we going to talk about tonight? Being Hot? Being beautiful? Being white? Being, my new weave. Do you, do you live here?," a woman, now identified by her former employer as Susan Westwood can be heard saying in a video posted by Chele Garris.

"Why do we feel that we need to be here like hanging out like in this beautiful place?" Westwood asked Garris and her sister, who were waiting for AAA in the parking lot of Garris' sister's apartment building.

In the series of videos, Garris and her sister are heard numerous times trying to disengage with Westwood. But each time she walked away, she came back and twice shoved her phone in front of Garris' phone.

At one point, she stumbled away and dropped her phone, and as she picked it up, declared, "I’m still going to make $125,000 Monday morning."

Seemingly drunken?!

She was blotto.

There will be a reckoning for her behavior.

Comment

Seemingly drunken?!

She was blotto.

There will be a reckoning for her behavior.
                      She was already fired. At least in this one, she didn't call the cops.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        She was already fired. At least in this one, she didn't call the cops.
                        So no $125k come Monday? She was wrong on that one as well.

Comment

So no $125k come Monday? She was wrong on that one as well.
                          She has turned herself in and was served with two outstanding warrants.

Comment

She has turned herself in and was served with two outstanding warrants.
                            Yeah, I was mistaken -- she did call the cops (of course).

I was watching Black-ish a couple of weeks back and they had an episode on this epidemic of white people calling the cops on blacks for everyday activities. They made a good point, that unfortunately when the cops are involved with blacks, there is a percentage chance the outcome goes awry. That's what makes this so horrifying, that some of these white people want that to happen, it seems. Certainly not all, but some. Regardless, escalating the situation to involve the police has become a weapon for some whites.

Comment

I found a video, posted by a thoughtful rural white person that I think a lot of other rural white folks would benefit from seeing related to the racial tensions with law enforcement. As an added bonus, it is from a guy that looks and talks in a way that I know a lot of liberals and minorities would negatively prejudge him on. I always love when folks challenge people's preconceived notions.

wow, that was really good
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Apprehending gun-wielding suspects...fuckin A.

For the latest updates on this story, click here. ROBBINS, Ill. — Witnesses said a Midlothian police officer responding to a shooting inside a south suburban bar shot at the wrong person early Sund…

"He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back with his gun in his back like, 'don’t move,'" witness Adam Harris said.

Soon after, witnesses say an officer responding to the shooting fired at Roberson after arriving on the scene.

"Everybody was screaming out, 'he was a security guard,' and they basically saw a black man with a gun and killed him," Harris said.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X