#___ingwhileblack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    And who turned it into a black vs blue debate?
    I think both sides sometimes do that, but, in my experience, I think Republican politicians are the most egregious offenders in trying to turn these real problems into straw man arguments. One of the 8 trillion things I loathe about Trump's approach to the world is that he has effectively made anyone protesting about this issue out to be unruly haters of police, the flag, dead soldiers, apple pie, and America. But there is no denying that it has been an effective strategy in side-stepping the real issues, and making victims into villains. I get really frustrated when I see people on the left get baited into that role by embracing rhetoric of how America sucks, police all suck, etc. It is a losing strategy, because it is playing right into the role painted for those seeking progress on this by politicians like Trump.

Comment

Ask African Americans and really all POC if they trust cops. My parents-in-law emigrated from India 38 years ago and have never broken a law other than traffic violations. You think they trust the police? No they don't. I guess they're all bigots too. See how ridiculous your argument is?
      Equating lack of trust with hate and intolerance may be the disconnect you are running into here. They are vastly different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Equating lack of trust with hate and intolerance may be the disconnect you are running into here. They are vastly different.
        Good point, but again in my post right above the one you responded to, I talk about groups that I doubt anyone here would have a problem hating (Nazis, KKK, al Quaeda), so by ITC's interpretation are we not all bigots?
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Good point, but again in my post right above the one you responded to, I talk about groups that I doubt anyone here would have a problem hating (Nazis, KKK, al Quaeda), so by ITC's interpretation are we not all bigots?
          In the truest sense, yes, we all are. We are tribal and if you're different there is an inherent dislike/distrust. It's hardwired in our brains.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
            In the truest sense, yes, we all are. We are tribal and if you're different there is an inherent dislike/distrust. It's hardwired in our brains.
            That's a very expensive view of bigotry and does little to address the issue.

Not that you're implying this, but this is the same sort of attitude that allows Trump to equivocate racists and those are fighting racism. There are good and bad sides on certain issues, and racism is one of the most obvious IMO.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Duuuuuuude...

That's what I've been saying!
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

That's a very expensive view of bigotry and does little to address the issue.
                You have a valid point here.

I'm not sure the semantics we use cover it, but for me at least there's a significant difference between hating a group with members who signed up to protect and serve (granted, that goal has been perverted and completely missed in far too many cases), and hating a group whose members signed up due to their own bigotry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  Duuuuuuude...

Well good, sorry that we didn't communicate well with each other because I would certainly agree with you there.

Comment

You have a valid point here.

I'm not sure the semantics we use cover it, but for me at least there's a significant difference between hating a group with members who signed up to protect and serve (granted, that goal has been perverted and completely missed in far too many cases), and hating a group whose members signed up due to their own bigotry.
                    Agreed, and yet the overlap between the two groups is much higher than zero.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

Duuuuuuude...

I think if I told you I distrust all black people because of some real life experiences and tried to use this as an excuse, you would call me a bigot or a racist.

And I would agree with you.

It is not the case with me. I do not do that.

I think you sound like a hypocrite when you post what you have been posting. I am not calling you a hypocrite I am saying you sound like one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        I think if I told you I distrust all black people because of some real life experiences and tried to use this as an excuse, you would call me a bigot or a racist.

And I would agree with you.

It is not the case with me. I do not do that.

I think you sound like a hypocrite when you post what you have been posting. I am not calling you a hypocrite I am saying you sound like one.
                        Your logic is flawed, there's nothing bigoted about distrust of police in their profession, as DMT has made crystal clear.
                        Last edited by Teenwolf; 10-05-2018, 05:40 AM.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Your logic is flawed, there's nothing bigoted about distrust of police in their profession, as DMT has made crystal clear.

Thanks for calling me a bigot though, right after you complain that I've been name calling. You're a classy guy, Gregg.
                          Would rather not get into this again, but what DMT made crystal clear didn't match your experience at all, right. You don't just distrust the police, you are in the "fuck the police" camp and took it to the lengths that suggests their job isn't dangerous and they are just paranoid for their fear of being murdered on the job. That is more than distrust. It's certainly in the "hate" camp, right? Would you disagree that you hate the police?

Comment

Would rather not get into this again, but what DMT made crystal clear didn't match your experience at all, right. You don't just distrust the police, you are in the "fuck the police" camp and took it to the lengths that suggests their job isn't dangerous and they are just paranoid for their fear of being murdered on the job. That is more than distrust. It's certainly in the "hate" camp, right? Would you disagree that you hate the police?
                            You're being ridiculous.

Hatred would mean that I wish ill will towards police, and I've said nothing of the sort. "Fuck the police" is simply stating a lack of faith. Could say "Fuck the Yankees" and it still wouldn't make me a bigot, it's just my opinion, that as long as they represent unnacountability, then yeah, fuck 'em on an instututional level. No clue why you're so amped over my "paranoid" comment. The police in all the public wrongful shooting cases are portraying themselves as being afraid for their lives in the situations. This is what I mean by paranoid. Unjustifiable police killings, perpetrated by paranoid and poorly trained officers. I'm not trying to say they dont face dangers, simply that the dangers faced by other workers in fields with much higher mortality rates dont use it as an excuse to justify wrongdoing.

Let me continue.

I distrust life coaches.. holy hell, these are a bunch a folks that love the smell of their own farts, am I right? It's not bigoted to automatically distrust police, end of story. Now, hating police and wishing them ill will... I still disagree that it's an epidemic, as there's no systemic issue of police hatred, but I would allow that an individual driven by hatred for police could be called a bigot.

Hope that all makes sense.

Comment

Thanks for calling me a bigot though, right after you complain that I've been name calling. You're a classy guy, Gregg.
                              Actually I am not seeing where I called you a bigot. I did say you sound like a hypocrite. That is why I asked for your input. I left plenty of room for discussion without name calling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Actually I am not seeing where I called you a bigot. I did say you sound like a hypocrite. That is why I asked for your input. I left plenty of room for discussion without name calling.
                                Apologies, I mis-read your statement.

Substituting black people and police interchangeably is a false equivalent.

I'll try again. Substitute my distrust of police with distrust of polygamists or life coaches. Am I a hypocrite? I find your example of hypocrisy confusing. I feel like everybody has different groups they trust more than others. Do you trust heroin or crack addicts? Do you trust a hairdresser who shaves his head? I'm trying to purposely convey the ridiculousness here.

Comment

Working...
                                X