2018 Midterm Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    But we dont rally around the flag anymore.
    That's a problem. We should be united in opposition to terrorism, foreign and domestic. Then we can quibble about the means and methods for addressing it. But there should be a common ground value, here.

Comment

• Dude - I totally agree with you on that!

A number of years back our country was attacked by terrorists. It was a rather big thing when it happened, and it was fascinating to see that in that moment things like race, religion, creed, sexual preference, etc... mattered not - everyone on that day and for a period of time was first and foremost American. Now some 20 years removed from that event, we no longer see each other as Americans. We now see each other as part of whatever "tribe" we believe that they belong in - and ascribe each person a set of beliefs and values based on the tribe that they come from. There is no room for actual discussion or discourse - if you are part of a different tribe then I can punch you or scream at you or harass you while eating dinner. It's truly sad.....
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Yep... it's called stochastic terrorism.

Stochastic terrorism is "the use of mass communications to incite random actors to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable. In short, remote-control murder by lone wolf."
        Interesting. So you also hold that the SPLC is equally responsible for Floyd Corkins? And the Sanders campaign is responsible for James Hodgkinson?
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Interesting. So you also hold that the SPLC is equally responsible for Floyd Corkins? And the Sanders campaign is responsible for James Hodgkinson?
          I don't recall SPLC and Sanders promoting violence against their political opponents. But I'm sure you can set me straight.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            Dude - I totally agree with you on that!

A number of years back our country was attacked by terrorists. It was a rather big thing when it happened, and it was fascinating to see that in that moment things like race, religion, creed, sexual preference, etc... mattered not - everyone on that day and for a period of time was first and foremost American. Now some 20 years removed from that event, we no longer see each other as Americans. We now see each other as part of whatever "tribe" we believe that they belong in - and ascribe each person a set of beliefs and values based on the tribe that they come from. There is no room for actual discussion or discourse - if you are part of a different tribe then I can punch you or scream at you or harass you while eating dinner. It's truly sad.....
            Absolutely with you and on the same page. The US has faced terrorism, foreign and domestic (but more often domestic) over the course of its history. What we can best control is how we react to it. If we assign the terrorists to a "team" rather than clearly saying that through their actions they've forfeited their right to represent any material segment of American society, then we're feeding the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              I don't recall SPLC and Sanders promoting violence against their political opponents. But I'm sure you can set me straight.
              The SPLC has explicitly listed the FRC as a "hate group" and were on their "hate map", which is the reference Corkins used to justify his planned slaughter of their employees. I'd also note that despite the attempted murder, the SPLC maintains the FRC as a "hate group" and still has them on their "hate map".

I'll also add that I was explicit about the Sanders campaign - there were plenty of campaign workers using very strong language about what should be done.

Frankly, I disagree with all of it, and think the concept of stochastic terrorism is poorly grounded, at best. However, I'd at least understand it if consistently applied.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Credit to the president for a strong and unifying statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Credit to the president for a strong and unifying statement.
                  He read the statement written by his staff well. Egregious and abhorrent are words he didn’t write. I’ll be more interested in how he speaks at the WI rally he still plans to attend.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                    He read the statement written by his staff well. Egregious and abhorrent are words he didn’t write. I’ll be more interested in how he speaks at the WI rally he still plans to attend.
                    Yes, as we have learned time and again, the real, honest response from Trump the individual, often oozes out of him after the official statement is read off, dutifully. Spoiler alert: it is most often an appalling backslide from the official statement.

Comment

• If he backslides, I'll criticize him then. Right now, I feel like he's said what should and needed to be said by our President in responding to these events, so I'm saying so.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                        He read the statement written by his staff well. Egregious and abhorrent are words he didn’t write.
                        was he able to pronounce them ?
                        --------------------------------------
                        You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• Much better than when he tried to say anonymous.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            That's a problem. We should be united in opposition to terrorism, foreign and domestic. Then we can quibble about the means and methods for addressing it. But there should be a common ground value, here.
                            100% agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Pipe? bombs or suspicious packages mailed to George Soros, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and now to the CNN NY building. Yeah, this is normal...
                              I also heard a short blurb on classic rock that the White House got one too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                I also heard a short blurb on classic rock that the White House got one too.
                                It was retracted quickly, think i heard something to do with them getting confused with the USSS and where they sort the mail. Here is the tweet refuting the story from the USSS official account

CLARIFICATION: At this time the Secret Service has intercepted TWO suspicious packages - one in NY and one in D.C. Reports of a third intercepted package addressed to the WH are incorrect

Confirmed targets are all liberal...

Obama, Hillary Clinton, Waters, CNN addressed to John Brennan, Holder but returned to Schultz office that was apparently the return address and Soros are the ones I have seen confirmation. Cuomo's name was out there but he apparently got threatening literature that does not seem connected to this. I don’t have confirmation on Waters being a bomb. They are saying suspicious but it was intercepted by the Capitol Police.
                                Last edited by frae; 10-24-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X