Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Here's the issue as I see it from here...you didn't get the answers that you wanted. I suspect that you wanted more outrage, and there simply isn't, at least not directed towards the party ideals. People come and go, there are good and bad on both sides of the aisle. We want to defend the Constitution, we'd like the playing field to be more equitable, we'd love for tired old saw, Justice for all. You seem to have wanted that rage that would tear the part apart, I don't see any point in that.

Sanders has decided that he's in the party, for good or bad. His supporters? Who knows? And the head of the DNC is fairly irrelevant at this point, DWS kind of took the power out of that position, IMO.

The GOP is doing everything in it's power to make sure that the Democrats not only survive, but eventually thrive again. Things will change, they always do...I do find it interesting that the people that are more interested in the Democratic party are those that claim not to be Democrats...
    Thanks for your comment, I value your feedback. Best of luck to the Dems in the future.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Thanks for your comment, I value your feedback. Best of luck to the Dems in the future.
      Mutual...I appreciate that while you may disagree with the post, or the poster, you're always civil and thoughtful in your responses. No trolling or parrot responses, but civil. Thank you for that.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

NYT suggests moving further left. Since democrats are already at the edge of the abyss, I guess this means they should jump in!
        Focus on progressive Obama coalition defectors, not on conservative white working-class voters.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
          NYT suggests moving further left. Since democrats are already at the edge of the abyss, I guess this means they should jump in!
          https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/o...rats.html?_r=0
          Among ourselves, we discuss the changes we need to make. All parties need to change to survive, as the GOP recognized in their famous 'autopsy', which they then ignored.

What I can tell you as an outsider is that the GOP has no reason to be smug. You lost the general by three million votes and squeaked out one of the thinnest EV wins ever. This came after doing what the GOP thought was impossible...losing twice to a black man. So don't get too comfortable on top. It may not last as long as you are counting on.
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/o...rats.html?_r=0
            I think you 've been asked a number of times to give examples or explain this, but I don't ever recall seeing a response. What exactly do you mean ?
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
              Among ourselves, we discuss the changes we need to make. All parties need to change to survive, as the GOP recognized in their famous 'autopsy', which they then ignored.

What I can tell you as an outsider is that the GOP has no reason to be smug. You lost the general by three million votes and squeaked out one of the thinnest EV wins ever. This came after doing what the GOP thought was impossible...losing twice to a black man. So don't get too comfortable on top. It may not last as long as you are counting on.
              That overlooks the fact the GOP is as strong as it has ever been on a state level dominating legislatures and governorships at an unprecedented level even with a tragically flawed candidate at the top of the ticket. They certainly don't have a reason to be smug, but they have done very well over the last 3 election cycles.
              I'm not sure why you need to tie the GOP to racism so often but it is a very common theme in your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Here's the issue as I see it from here...you didn't get the answers that you wanted. I suspect that you wanted more outrage, and there simply isn't, at least not directed towards the party ideals. People come and go, there are good and bad on both sides of the aisle. We want to defend the Constitution, we'd like the playing field to be more equitable, we'd love for tired old saw, Justice for all. You seem to have wanted that rage that would tear the part apart, I don't see any point in that.

The GOP is doing everything in it's power to make sure that the Democrats not only survive, but eventually thrive again. Things will change, they always do...I do find it interesting that the people that are more interested in the Democratic party are those that claim not to be Democrats...
                I think you are correct in that I didn't get the answers I wanted...but I expected that. But I really wasn't looking for rage or anger...just hoping the Democrats would learn something from the last election. Republicans may very well make life easy on the Democrats. And believe me, I am not a Democrat, although I agree with many of their professed ideals.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Trump win has its merits down the road.

Past election was such a freakish threading of the needle, a confluence of near impossibilities, I could list them again, I have listed them before, but thats not the point atm. We have a President that absolutely did win, no one is doubting that, it was a total of 77k votes that gave him the win in key battlegrounds, while losing the pop vote by 3+ million. As is often the case with a party having won the Presidency back to back, the other party normally wins the rebound from the we need change folk. But nothing could have electrified the electorate as much as this win, we have record low approval rating for President, massive rallies were held day after inauguration that dwarfed the inauguration size, but the mass rallies and demonstrations that have been held all across country, from big cities to little rural areas is on a scale not ever seen.

Dems were lethargic prior to election, as it was assumed adults would prevent the circus from taking over when it counted. It was taken for granted that a moderate inclusive party looking out not for the wealthy elite but for masses and expanding and protecting the rights of the poor, the disenfranchised, the sick, and the environment, would naturally have traction over an absolute laughing stock of a candidate who has a solid record of enriching only himself at the expense of others his entire life, of gaming the system, but contributing zilch to the greater good. The gift is that nothing could energize not only Dems and undeclareds, no force could sway the reluctant Repubs as well as what has happened here, and Trump will be the gift that benefits us all in the long run, as you need to have a horror so complete that not just the media from the smallest sleepy town papers to the mega outlets points it out, and the voters not just the typically involved but those who never gave it a second thought, and the spectrum of not just well educated who typically do vote and understand issues, down to the low information non voter who finally gets how important it is that they move to action.

Comment

As a bit of trivia, just over 1 in 4 americans believe the sun revolves around the earth, per report put out by National Science Foundation. On bright side, a higher amount, 48 percent said "Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals." so 52 percent do not accept evolution. Trump managed 26 percent of all eligible votes from american populace, same percent that think sun revolves around earth, and could mean Trump is great, or opponent was poor, or voting bloc fractured, or an alternate theory, maybe lines up with a base that is impossibly and stubbornly ill informed. That Trump won is not in itself a compelling argument that he possesses some positive attribute that we wish upon our leaders, be that brighter, or better informed, or more empathy to populace, or more experienced, or we have more faith in them.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                      As a bit of trivia, just over 1 in 4 americans believe the sun revolves around the earth, per report put out by National Science Foundation. On bright side, a higher amount, 48 percent said "Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals." so 52 percent do not accept evolution. Trump managed 26 percent of all eligible votes from american populace, same percent that think sun revolves around earth, and could mean Trump is great, or opponent was poor, or voting bloc fractured, or an alternate theory, maybe lines up with a base that is impossibly and stubbornly ill informed. That Trump won is not in itself a compelling argument that he possesses some positive attribute that we wish upon our leaders, be that brighter, or better informed, or more empathy to populace, or more experienced, or we have more faith in them.
                      I'm not really sure I understand your point. Democrats need to make the case that they will make peoples lives better regardless of how the earth, sun and planets revolve. Or if the earth is only 8000 years old. Or whether or not evolution is real. The Democratic Party failed to make this case to the American people. So you can point fingers and laugh or you can have a better candidate and a better message if you want to win. Or you can keep posting Donald's ridiculous tweets and laughing at the idiots who voted for him and don't accept science.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                        That overlooks the fact the GOP is as strong as it has ever been on a state level dominating legislatures and governorships at an unprecedented level even with a tragically flawed candidate at the top of the ticket. They certainly don't have a reason to be smug, but they have done very well over the last 3 election cycles.
                        I'm not sure why you need to tie the GOP to racism so often but it is a very common theme in your posts.
                        One of the big reasons for those state legislature successes has illegal gerrymandering. Courts have started striking down this racist practice.(1)

The GOP President was a leader of the racist birther movement.(2)

The travel ban was/is racist.(3)

The voter suppression efforts are steeped in racism.(4)

The President's right-hand man is a racist.(5)

The President has made numerous racist comments about judges, included the one assigned to a civil case pending against him(6).

All I have time for now. Your results may vary.
                        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

One of the big reasons for those state legislature successes has illegal gerrymandering. Courts have started striking down this racist practice.(1)

The GOP President was a leader of the racist birther movement.(2)

The travel ban was/is racist.(3)

The voter suppression efforts are steeped in racism.(4)

The President's right-hand man is a racist.(5)

The President has made numerous racist comments about judges, included the one assigned to a civil case pending against him(6).

All I have time for now. Your results may vary.
                          I was going to refute most of the low hanging fruit on your list, but it just isn't worth it. Let me just say that none of the reasons listed in any way validates your speculation that ' the GOP can't believe they lost to a black man twice'. It's just inflammable rhetoric to soothe the post-election hurt you are feeling again. To keep bleating about racism to explain and rationalize every thing you don't like about the GOP...well, its very shallow and it's really not helping your team
                          Here is an article that specifically states the gerrmandered districts in Wisconsin ( the biggest test case for gerrymandering by far) was specifically struck down not for being racist, but for being drawn in too partisan a manner.
                          Last edited by nots; 02-23-2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                            I was going to refute most of the low hanging fruit on your list, but it just isn't worth it. Let me just say that none of the reasons listed in any way validates your speculation that ' the GOP can't believe they lost to a black man twice'. It's just inflammable rhetoric to soothe the post-election hurt you are feeling again. To keep bleating about racism to explain and rationalize every thing you don't like about the GOP...well, its very shallow and it's really not helping your team
                            Here is an article that specifically states the gerrmandered districts in Wisconsin ( the biggest test case for gerrymandering by far) was specifically struck down not for being racist, but for being drawn in too partisan a manner.
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.948ca95aed7b
                            Sure, the GOP cheats in Wisconsin just for politics. It's only 6% African-American, hardly worth their effort to cheat for race. What of the big SCOTUS cases pending out of Virginia and NC? There is where race is an issue, and those should be mentioned, along with the already decided cases where the GOP has been found to have gerrymandered to dilute black vote.

You said you didn't know why I tied the GOP to racism. They do that for themselves, and my list is only a few examples of that fact.

Go ahead. Refute most of that low-hanging fruit. There were only six points. That leaves you only four (4) to refute. Trump's Birtherism? Bannon?
                            Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 02-23-2017, 08:59 AM. Reason: Add second paragraph.

Comment

Sure, the GOP cheats in Wisconsin just for politics. It's only 6% African-American, hardly worth their effort to cheat for race. What of the big SCOTUS cases pending out of Virginia and NC? There is where race is an issue, and those should be mentioned, along with the already decided cases where the GOP has been found to have gerrymandered to dilute black vote.

Go ahead. Refute most of that low-hanging fruit. There were only six points. That leaves you only four (4) to refute. Trump's Birtherism? Bannon?
                              Nah, not worth the effort. If you want to play in the shallow end of the pool, enjoy yourself. Have a good Thursday!

Comment

My point was in prior post, the one directly above the one you are commenting on, regarding how Trump is a great thing for the country going forward. The post you responded to was the "bit of trivia" which presented evidence that we have a solid 1 in 4 americans inextricably mired in the dark ages, an ignorance deep enough that the logical argument falls flat. Logical argument namely being, present a better candidate and you will win. This is a true statement, except for the 26% of our population that has other metrics, that would lead them to believe obvious nonsense over facts.

Comment

Working...
                                X