Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Wow, all these years, and I never realized not showing them was an option. Thanks for the heads up!
    Me either. Cool! And now they're gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
      IMO, either Klobuchar or Bullock would represent the best opportunity for Democrats to win the WH.
      Huge margin of victory for Klobuchar last night, far surpassing the votes for Smith in a rare situation where we saw two statewide Senate races play out on the same night, and doing very well in areas that Trump won in 2016. She just made a very compelling case for the nomination, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Huge margin of victory for Klobuchar last night, far surpassing the votes for Smith in a rare situation where we saw two statewide Senate races play out on the same night, and doing very well in areas that Trump won in 2016. She just made a very compelling case for the nomination, IMO.
        I agree.
        On another note (and this will rankle a lot of folks in here), I think Elizabeth Warren is not going to be the nominee. In 2012, she underperformed Obama by 9% in Mass.. Last night, she got about 125,000 less votes than GOP Gov. Charlie Baker did in his race. She is well regarded by liberal donors and liberal activists, but she doesn’t do as well with liberal voters. She will have a lot of money and if she wins NH, she can stay in it for awhile, but she won’t win. If you want a liberal white woman, you will go with Gillibrand. If you want a liberal minority woman, you will go with Harris. Last night was the beginning of the end for her.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          As a Minnesotan, and someone who's covered Amy every step of the way, I'd have to disagree. She's a terrific person, and learns quickly, but I just don't think that she has the gravitas to run for the big office. Maybe start as VP, but the big chair is a huge step.

People love here here, and the main reason that she blew Tina Smith's totals out of the water is that Smith is essentially a party functionary for a large part of here career. And she just didn't have the name recognition that Klobuchar has.

That said, I'm happy to be in a very blue, progressive state.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• for what it's worth, just wanted to call this out ... with all the talk of nationalism and insularity, this is really good to see ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Steny Hoyer throws his hat in the ring for Speaker

Comment

• On a odd/lighter note: Geez, the Dems really have to run better candidates!! A dead guy who while alive self-described himself as a “pimp” who (embarrassingly) ran as a Republican beat his very much alive Dem opponent for a state house seat in Nevada.

‪https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/politics/dennis-hof-brothel-nevada-state-assembly/index.html‬
                Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 11-07-2018, 02:48 PM.
                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I agree.
                  On another note (and this will rankle a lot of folks in here), I think Elizabeth Warren is not going to be the nominee. In 2012, she underperformed Obama by 9% in Mass.. Last night, she got about 125,000 less votes than GOP Gov. Charlie Baker did in his race. She is well regarded by liberal donors and liberal activists, but she doesn’t do as well with liberal voters. She will have a lot of money and if she wins NH, she can stay in it for awhile, but she won’t win. If you want a liberal white woman, you will go with Gillibrand. If you want a liberal minority woman, you will go with Harris. Last night was the beginning of the end for her.
                  Yeah, I think this is dead on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                    On a odd/lighter note: Geez, the Dems really have to run better candidates!! A dead guy who while alive self-described himself as a “pimp” who (embarrassingly) ran as a Republican beat his very much alive Dem opponent for a state house seat in Nevada.
                    It really hit home for me this election that in some places, ALL that matters is the letter by the name to most folks. There are a few cases where I really hoped the measure of the candidate would be taken, on both sides, and people would flip, but it didn't happen.

Comment

It really hit home for me this election that in some places, ALL that matters is the letter by the name to most folks. There are a few cases where I really hoped the measure of the candidate would be taken, on both sides, and people would flip, but it didn't happen.
                      For some reason I can’t get the link to work. But you’re right on being disappointed. I was the same when I saw the three (Collins, Menendez and the Cali guy) “winners” from last night. The Bunny ranch owner winning while dead is just plain silly.
                      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

yeah I thought John James was a great candidate but he didnt get all that close to unseating the entrenched democrat. Maybe he could have in 2010 or 2014 but not this year.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I agree.
                          I have long expected her to not be the nominee but I'm still hoping and praying she is.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Hoyer? Pass
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I think the Democrats should honor Jim Clyburn with the Speakership. Yes, he's also old, but he's tough to demonize.

Comment

Working...
                              X