Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I have been following 538 and Sabato's Chrystal Ball for some time. Here's an article from Cook saying, basically, that it's too early to tell much but it's not good for the Democrats, especially in Trump Districts/states. As Brian says, the standard attitude for some time has been that the Democrats should win the House.
    The vote on Brett Kavanaugh is likely to be taken this weekend. But, the impact of the battle over his confirmation is likely to have short and long-term consequences.

That's my take. If the Kavanaugh challenge was intended to motivate the base, it may have backfired and motivated the opponents. The standard Republican perception is that the Democrats raised a false accusation against an innocent man because they could not attack him by any legitimate means. It will not help the Democrats. The question is how much it will help the Republicans.

J
    11 days later and the Democrats have their best odds yet to win the house. I am not sure they over played their hand when it came to the house. Swing districts, suburban educated white women, and a motivated base in areas where they can win seem to be coming out. Also lots of good money reports for Congressional candidates. The way the Democrats handled Kavanaugh didn't help them in the Senate where the red states will stay red or go red (TN, TX and maybe ND) but it seems to have worked just fine in these Congressional races.
    Last edited by frae; 10-16-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
      11 days later and the Democrats have their best odds yet to win the house. I am not sure they over played their hand when it came to the house. Swing districts, suburban educate white women, and a motivated base in areas where they can win seem to be coming out. Also lots of good money reports for Congressional candidates. The way the Democrats handled Kavanaugh didn't help them in the Senate where the red states will stay red or go red (TN, TX and maybe ND) but it seems to have worked just fine in these Congressional races.
      Don't know about Kavanaugh, but agree the likely outcome is as you've laid out.

I forgot to tag an article I recently read about the impact of the amount of money poured into the Beto-Cruz election, and if it negatively impacted other outcomes for Democrats. If I find it again, I think you'll find it interesting.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• see my signature line
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
          see my signature line
          I haven't hung around here a lot prior to the last few weeks so maybe it is irony, but shouldn't your reaction to the Michelle Obama quote be "too bad"

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
            I haven't hung around here a lot prior to the last few weeks so maybe it is irony, but shouldn't your reaction to the Michelle Obama quote be "too bad"
            Actually I posted this in the wrong thread Frae..... My bad!
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Actually I posted this in the wrong thread Frae..... My bad!
              It still doesn't fix the grammar error. You can't have grammar errors in your signature line. I'll be cringing every time I read one of your posts. As much as I hate to help you with a bashing sig line, please change "to" to "too" for my sanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                It still doesn't fix the grammar error. You can't have grammar errors in your signature line. I'll be cringing every time I read one of your posts. As much as I hate to help you with a bashing sig line, please change "to" to "too" for my sanity.
                And my sanity to !
                --------------------------------------
                You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

fixed --- just for you!

Comment

fixed --- just for you!
                    Thanks. Can you also not have your signature in bold font? Or is it too much to ask for two edits? (See what I did there?)

Comment

Thanks. Can you also not have your signature in bold font? Or is it too much to ask for two edits? (See what I did there?)
                      Bold stays. I think it is important to stress that the words that so many claim to be racist regarding the Republican platform were stated very clearly 20 years ago by the Democrats and Bill Clinton. My how things have shifted.

Comment

Why do you still show signatures?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Why would anyone have signatures?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Wow, all these years, and I never realized not showing them was an option. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

• I started inserting a "J" at the end of comments when there were no signatures available.

Just sayin'.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                                I started inserting a "J" at the end of comments when there were no signatures available.

Just sayin'.

J
                                But your username and avatar is right there on the left, so everyone knows who is posting because of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X