Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Yeah because a shitty public past can prevent you from becoming POTUS.............or not.
    Not so you would notice.

A very quotable past is a different story. It means your opponent will never run out of ammunition.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      As far as Al Franken - I just dont think that enough people nationwide would support a jewish comedian
      Bernie Sanders, anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Bernie Sanders, anyone?
        He's the Obvious choice, but I don't see any way you get the majority of those who supported HRC to cross over to him and Honestly, as is--he's not a fan of the DNC right now. Those in here have said they think the Dems can't afford to move left and if they don;t, they won;t have Sanders nor the majority of his support.

That's our conundrum as this moment.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

He's the Obvious choice, but I don't see any way you get the majority of those who supported HRC to cross over to him and Honestly, as is--he's not a fan of the DNC right now. Those in here have said they think the Dems can't afford to move left and if they don;t, they won;t have Sanders nor the majority of his support.

That's our conundrum as this moment.
          I think Revo was pointing out that Bernie is Jewish, and did very well, so why can't Al? There was a time that a Jew had a snowball's chance in hell of gaining nationwide support, but Beernie may have proven that is no longer the case, opening the way for Franken.

My worry with Franken is the likability factor--I think he may rub some folks the wrong way. Then again, Trump rubbed lots of folks the wrong way, figuratively and literally, and it didn't stop him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I think Revo was pointing out that Bernie is Jewish, and did very well, so why can't Al? There was a time that a Jew had a snowball's chance in hell of gaining nationwide support, but Beernie may have proven that is no longer the case, opening the way for Franken.

My worry with Franken is the likability factor--I think he may rub some folks the wrong way. Then again, Trump rubbed lots of folks the wrong way, figuratively and literally, and it didn't stop him.
            It's a sad commentary on our society that someone's faith would actually be a detriment in any endeavor.

Frankly, it's damn embarrassing.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It's a sad commentary on our society that someone's faith would actually be a detriment in any endeavor.

Frankly, it's damn embarrassing.
              But totally expected and historically, the status quo. Kennedy faced an uphill battle as a Catholic, Romney had to answer questions as a Mormon. The right somehow thought one of the best tactics to discredit Obama was to spread fake news about him secretly being a Muslim. And God forbid the voters think you are an atheist!

The Jewish people have the longest history of any religion of being a scapegoat and punching bag for the majority. There is a lot of baggage to overcome there that Bernie did not have to face much of in the primaries. Of course, the vast majority of people for whom it would be a real issue are already dyed in the wool Trump followers, so it should not be an insurmountable stumbling block. But, of course, there would be those on the right that will use all sorts of dog whistles if they had to face Franken in the general, trying to play on deep-seeded hatreds.

Franken's biggest challenge would not be converting them, though; it would be on showing himself to be what I think he is, but what he may not be as good as someone like Sanders or Biden at showing--a true civil servant with the utmost passion for helping the American people fulfill the American dream, ideally not at the expense of the rest of the world. I worry he will come off as glib to some voters. If he ever got to a general, he'd need to show the side of him he shows when he goes into middle schools and draws the entire United States from memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZmDGRk1k0. In fact, if I were him, I'd challenge Trump to do the same, if Trump ends up running in 2020. I'm not sure Trump would be able to draw any of the fly over states, unless he owns property in them, and this is after he has been in all of them campaigning. And I'd bet all that I have that if Trump were to run against him, he would let a few carefully worded dog whistles slip himself. He made religion an issue in the GOP primaries several times, and it somehow worked on Evangelicals, most of whom had to know he was a total fake when it came to religious sincerely... two Corinthians still makes me shake my head in embarrassment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                But totally expected and historically, the status quo. Kennedy faced an uphill battle as a Catholic, Romney had to answer questions as a Mormon. The right somehow thought one of the best tactics to discredit Obama was to spread fake news about him secretly being a Muslim. And God forbid the voters think you are an atheist!

The Jewish people have the longest history of any religion of being a scapegoat and punching bag for the majority. There is a lot of baggage to overcome there that Bernie did not have to face much of in the primaries. Of course, the vast majority of people for whom it would be a real issue are already dyed in the wool Trump followers, so it should not be an insurmountable stumbling block. But, of course, there would be those on the right that will use all sorts of dog whistles if they had to face Franken in the general, trying to play on deep-seeded hatreds.

Franken's biggest challenge would not be converting them, though; it would be on showing himself to be what I think he is, but what he may not be as good as someone like Sanders or Biden at showing--a true civil servant with the utmost passion for helping the American people fulfill the American dream, ideally not at the expense of the rest of the world. I worry he will come off as glib to some voters. If he ever got to a general, he'd need to show the side of him he shows when he goes into middle schools and draws the entire United States from memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZmDGRk1k0. In fact, if I were him, I'd challenge Trump to do the same, if Trump ends up running in 2020. I'm not sure Trump would be able to draw any of the fly over states, unless he owns property in them, and this is after he has been in all of them campaigning. And I'd bet all that I have that if Trump were to run against him, he would let a few carefully worded dog whistles slip himself. He made religion an issue in the GOP primaries several times, and it somehow worked on Evangelicals, most of whom had to know he was a total fake when it came to religious sincerely... two Corinthians still makes me shake my head in embarrassment.
                I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question..I understand that we've been a society of INtolerance forever.......when do we stop accepting this? I was told by another in here that shaming people for their bigoted ways was bullying, but how else can we eradicate the practice of using a persons faith, race, gender, orientation, age or any other NON factor-against them? When will we each as individuals make it part of our lives to make sure that those who do so, know we find it unacceptable?

From my perspective, Hate based opinion is Hate and therefore not protected by the 1st amendment. I may be alone in this (though I don;t believe I am) but it is disgusting that someone's faith (or any other of the above mentioned descriptors) can be perceived as a negative in any endeavor they might choose to embark on.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I am starting to do some research about Al Frankens campaign and it is quite interesting how he won.

Here a couple of articles to start.

a jewish magazine/news source explains - he is local and he was also competing against another jewish guy
                  https://www.momentmag.com/al-franken-gets-serious/

the closeness of the race
                  http://www.politico.com/story/2008/1...oo-ugly-015490

background on Franken
                  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...enter-laughing

a short background blurb
                  http://www.nytimes.com/cq/2007/02/01/cq_2222.html

and I am not sure what it all adds up to

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    Not so you would notice.

A very quotable past is a different story. It means your opponent will never run out of ammunition.

J
                    You really tend to ignore the obvious

Comment

I am starting to do some research about Al Frankens campaign and it is quite interesting how he won.

Here a couple of articles to start.

a jewish magazine/news source explains - he is local and he was also competing against another jewish guy
                      https://www.momentmag.com/al-franken-gets-serious/

the closeness of the race
                      http://www.politico.com/story/2008/1...oo-ugly-015490

background on Franken
                      http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...enter-laughing

a short background blurb
                      http://www.nytimes.com/cq/2007/02/01/cq_2222.html

and I am not sure what it all adds up to
                      Thanks for the research

Comment

• sour masher - clean out PMs - please

Comment

sour masher - clean out PMs - please
                          Done.

Comment

• Tread killer.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• And the path to losing has begun.

DNC platform committee rejects Sanders single payer plank.

Let the Bernie blaming begin.......

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

And the path to losing has begun.

DNC platform committee rejects Sanders single payer plank.

Let the Bernie blaming begin.......
                                Got a link? I'd be interested in reading reasons why...
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X