Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He gets a pass because the media has done such a poor job of being unbiased over the last number of years. Im not condoning - just making the observation.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      He gets a pass because the media has done such a poor job of being unbiased over the last number of years. Im not condoning - just making the observation.
      That's only if you consider "unbiased" to mean reporting on a politician who does crazy things the same as you treat a politician who does not do crazy things. I expect responsible journalists to report the facts, even if the facts show some of our politicians to be irresponsible. They shouldn't expect 'x' number of good stories, 'y' number of bad stories. Their actions dictate the coverage they get. You act a fool, you get bad press.

EDIT: Trump says now he is surprised by the "blowback" he got from putting Bannon on the NSC principals committee and taking key figures off of it. Really? Is that a lie, or is he really that naïve? Where is the brilliant businessman now that we could use one? Who is calling the shots? He does something dumb, but he doesn't expect to get bad press for it.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

He gets a pass because the media has done such a poor job of being unbiased over the last number of years. Im not condoning - just making the observation.
        This is a very dangerous and subjective justification for a very dangerous practice. I think if Obama had barred Fox News, there would have been huge backlash for the same people silent right now. This is a very dangerous step down road toward authoritarianism, and a very dangerous precedent to set.

Comment

• Im not saying I agree with what he has done. I do believe that the media in general may have to earn back their respect.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Christopher C. Cuomo's Twitterresponding to the question: What do you tell a 12 year old girl who doesn't want to see a penis in the locker room?

i wonder if she is the problem or her overprotective and intolerant dad? teach tolerance.
            Thoughts on this?
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• They let in Breitbart and kicked out the Times and CNN. I could fill the next 100 posts on all the fake news Breitbart has put out there. We are seriously at a point where legitimate journalists are being denied access to the executive branch in favor of handpicked outlets who won't ask key questions about the president's agenda?! Breitbart?! Really?!

Comment

• Again - I dont condone what he is doing. This may surprise folks, but I have never been to Breitbart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                  That's only if you consider "unbiased" to mean reporting on a politician who does crazy things the same as you treat a politician who does not do crazy things. I expect responsible journalists to report the facts, even if the facts show some of our politicians to be irresponsible. They shouldn't expect 'x' number of good stories, 'y' number of bad stories. Their actions dictate the coverage they get. You act a fool, you get bad press.

EDIT: Trump says now he is surprised by the "blowback" he got from putting Bannon on the NSC principals committee and taking key figures off of it. Really? Is that a lie, or is he really that naïve? Where is the brilliant businessman now that we could use one? Who is calling the shots? He does something dumb, but he doesn't expect to get bad press for it.
                  This is an excellent point. It is very dangerous to define fairness as equally positive and critical coverage. Not all politicians are the same, and some demand more criticism than others. You know, like ones who want to control the media in unprecedented, disturbing ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    yep - this is happening

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/u...=top-news&_r=0

Anyone here going to support this repression?
                    This is f-ing ridiculous, but he isn't the only administration to reign in the press:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.1f9a681d8b81

Pool reports — those summaries of the president’s public appearances that go to the news media at large and are used in countless news stories — are filed by a rotating group of journalists whose work is intended to be free of content changes by the White House.

The pool journalists, however, must submit their reports to the White House press office, which distributes them via e-mail to hundreds of news organizations and others. The White House maintains the list of recipients.

Reporters have complained that the Obama White House exploits its role as distributor to demand changes in pool reports and that the press office has delayed or refused to distribute some reports until they are amended to officials’ satisfaction.

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

Im not saying I agree with what he has done. I do believe that the media in general may have to earn back their respect.
                      The only way media gets respect is by reporting the truth. Not alternative facts. And by continuing to do so even when they are facing bullies.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• The false equivalency is so insulting to anyone who compares apples to apples. No, Obama never did anything remotely like bar Fox while hand picking fan club type outlets from news pressers in west wing. No, real press such as the 3 that were barred do not need to earn respect back. They are more respected now than ever, from public that understands they are needed more than ever. And yes, its time press stops with giving the benefit of the doubt and soft balling the reporting on this virulent strain of executive branch that daily has demonstrated a danger from ineptitude in ways great to small.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                          The false equivalency is so insulting to anyone who compares apples to apples. No, Obama never did anything remotely like bar Fox while hand picking fan club type outlets from news pressers in west wing. No, real press such as the 3 that were barred do not need to earn respect back. They are more respected now than ever, from public that understands they are needed more than ever. And yes, its time press stops with giving the benefit of the doubt and soft balling the reporting on this virulent strain of executive branch that daily has demonstrated a danger from ineptitude in ways great to small.
                          I'm not defending Trump and his regime. I'm merely try to point out the adminstration's like to massage the message. The quote I put down from the article certainly implies, IMO, that Obama's Press Secretary was making sure their (Obama's) was being put out to the people. You could make the argument that Obama was using the press core, again based on the article, as a puppet mouth piece.

Comment

• Nah - the prior administration didnt bar them - they prosecuted them.

http://www.cjr.org/criticism/barack_...dom_legacy.php

President Obama took office in 2009 promising to make his administration the most transparent in American history. New York Times national security correspondent David Sanger, for one, says he’s failed.

“This is the most closed, control freak administration I’ve ever covered,” said Sanger in a 2013 CPJ report, “The Obama Administration and the Press.” The report’s author, former Washington Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie, Jr., declared, “The administration’s war on leaks and other efforts to control information are the most aggressive I’ve seen since the Nixon administration.” As journalists often note, the Obama administration has prosecuted more leakers under the 1917 Espionage Act than all former presidents combined.

Comment

• The honeymoon period is over. The media has been more respectful than they should, more restrained than they should, as they, as well as the public, as well as foreign leadership, as well as the unheralded cogs that run the machinery of government from one administration to next regardless of party affiliation, have to step up, speak out, and put on a light for every action with this administration. My guess as to how this shakes out, I am no fan of Pence, but he is the adult in place that will take over, and I for sure will feel less like we are falling through the rabbit hole when we transition away from Trump, be it 3 years, or 2, or more likely imo something around 1 year when his tax returns are somehow released, and we see the money trail that directly links his odd behavior with Putin.

Comment

• How about the Times laying out that if Trump targets journalists - thank Obama.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/o...ank-obama.html

Comment

Working...
                                X