This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    Who doesn't look back at middle school and high school and think, man, I would have loved 30 minutes of recess during those days.
    pretty much every nerdy kid who spent recess hiding from jocks and bullies.
    ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I sincerely hope that isn't the approach. Lots of research indicates that physical activity in children is not only important for their physical health, but improves scholastic performance. In fact, I think we need more recess/PE/brief activity breaks in K-12 than we have these days.
      yeah, for too many kids, that's the only regular exercise they get.
      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• I tried to tell some folks I know who were either supportive of Trump or indifferent to him (including my sister, who really, really loves weed) that states legalizing recreational weed would be attacked if he won. When Sessions got the AG job, it became all but guaranteed that this would be a fight. I don't think this is a wise poolitical stance to take for Trump or the GOP given the poll numbers on recreatinal pot: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/whi...na/ar-AAnh1DO?
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-23-2017, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• on the topic of locker rooms.

in my two kids' school, nobody uses the locker rooms. and i mean nobody. the showers look like they haven't been used in 10 years. it's the strangest damn thing. nobody showers after practice. nobody showers after games. nobody showers after PE. they think it's completely normal...
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
            on the topic of locker rooms.

in my two kids' school, nobody uses the locker rooms. and i mean nobody. the showers look like they haven't been used in 10 years. it's the strangest damn thing. nobody showers after practice. nobody showers after games. nobody showers after PE. they think it's completely normal...
            I was in high school from 95-98, I never showered at school once. Not after PE. I would go home after practice or a game and shower, never at school. I don't think anyone ever did. People used to shower at school?

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              I was in high school from 95-98, I never showered at school once. Not after PE. I would go home after practice or a game and shower, never at school. I don't think anyone ever did. People used to shower at school?
              I never did either, buy my wife had swimming in her school so she did often.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

yep same here (88-91) I never showered at school and I don't ever remember the showers being used.

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                  on the topic of locker rooms.

I was in high school during desegregation of the South. The coaches quit making everybody shower after basketball practice. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with the fact we had black kids and white kids on the same team.
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

People used to shower at school?
                    Late 70's/early 80's it was mandatory after PE

Comment

• Trump is shameless. He says the media "shouldn't be allowed to use sources unless they use somebody's name", and claims they make up sources. When you don't have the benefit of the truth on your side, attack the messenger. Show us that Trump has no ties to Russia.

And then he claims he never said the media was the enemy of the people, only the "fake" media. As was pointed out today, what he actually did was specify several of the major news outlets in the country. What he needs to do is the one thing he is apparently unable to do...go a few days without saying anything at all.

I got a little kick out of the Tom Cotton town hall in NWA the news ran clips from last night. The correspondents seemed surprised the yokels were so much up in Cotton's grill, challenging him on Dodd-Frank and chanting "Tax Returns!" I think Cotton was a little surprised, too.

Something I have noticed is the large percentage of these riled up town hall participants which are white women. Trump won handily among this demographic in 2016. If that flips in 2020, the GOP could have problems. They can't get much more of the white male vote, and they aren't trying to get the black vote. The Hispanic vote is a key demographic, but Trump isn't helping them there. Trump won white women by 10%, and squeaked by. Pissing them off is a bad plan.
                      Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 02-24-2017, 12:31 PM.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                        Late 70's/early 80's it was mandatory after PE
                        Yup .... high school kid standing by the showers with a clipboard checking off your name as he gave you a towel. You'd get an "F" for the day in junior high PE if he didn't give you a towel.
                        "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                        "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                        WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                        PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                          Trump is shameless. He says the media "shouldn't be allowed to use sources unless they use somebody's name", and claims they make up sources. When you don't have the benefit of the truth on your side, attack the messenger. Show us that Trump has no ties to Russia.

And then he claims he never said the media was the enemy of the people, only the "fake" media. As was pointed out today, what he actually did was specify several of the major news outlets in the country. What he needs to do is the one thing he is apparently unable to do...go a few days without saying anything at all.

I got a little kick out of the Tom Cotton town hall in NWA the news ran clips from last night. The correspondents seemed surprised the yokels were so much up in Cotton's grill, challenging him on Dodd-Frank and chanting "Tax Returns!" I think Cotton was a little surprised, too.

Something I have noticed is the large percentage of these riled up town hall participants which are white women. Trump won handily among this demographic in 2016. If that flips in 2020, the GOP could have problems. They can't get much more of the white male vote, and they aren't trying to get the black vote. The Hispanic vote is a key demographic, but Trump isn't helping them there. Trump won white women by 10%, and squeaked by. Pissing them off is a bad plan.
                          Has he had a good plan yet?
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• yep - this is happening

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/u...=top-news&_r=0

Anyone here going to support this repression?

Comment

• Barred NY Times, CNN, and Politico. President vilifying CNN as "fake news" is awful enough, now to bar them from the Spicer briefing in WH. We have the real solid fact checking news media being shut out, while hand picked outlets are inserted, so as to shape a news narrative that pleases the great leader.

Comment

• Few things make me flabbergasted with Trump anymore, but I'm amazed that he is able to bar media that pushes back at him, and there isn't huge push back. This is an issue I imagine most would agree on. Him being able to control who gets his message, and how it is delivered to the public is very scary, and not something that I thought I'd ever see so brazenly in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                                X