This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Continuing his disdain for all forms of journalism, Trump shuts down the official military newspaper Stars & Stripes effective 9/15. Stars & Stripes has been in continuous publication since 1861.
    #thanksdonald
    What is the possible motive behind this?
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      What is the possible motive behind this?
      The US Military got their butts kicked in Vietnam, it's a losers paper.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        The US Military got their butts kicked in Vietnam, it's a losers paper.
        LOL...actually, I think the term you're looking for is "editorially independent of the Pentagon". I realize correlation doesn't always equal causation, but the recent push for vote-by-mail by Stars and Stripes editors was followed very closely by Esper's order to make the last publication on 9/30 and shut everything by 1/2021.

That said, if Congress restores the funding in the continuing resolution, it'll take a veto to shut it down.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Add Mr. Rogers' widow to the list of people calling Trump a "horrible person." I'm sure his defenders will just call her a crazy old bat mad that Trump uses her late husband as a way to insult people, as he did when he derisively mocked former Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats by calling him "Mister Rogers."

The fact that millions of Americans admire Donald Trump and his example over that Mr. Rogers is a sign of the sickness we have in this country. It depresses the hell out of me to see millions of MAGA hat wearers unironically cheer a man who mocks his betters, who denigrates the dead who served in wars, or who dedicated their lives to the betterment of children. When and what is the greatness that they think Trump has returned us to, exactly? Is it being in a country that mocks fallen heroes? Is it tear gassing protesters for photo ops in front of a church that is built to worship a God that Trump's very existence is an affront to? Please, someone tell me what greatness Trump has brought us back to, exactly.

His widow says of Trump:

"I think he's just a horrible person," she told The Daily Beast on Thursday. "This man is pathologically ill. Mentally ill."

She blasted Trump for telling lies when asked why she considers him "horrible."

"I think maybe the fact that Mr. Trump seldom tells the truth," she said. "If he does, it's just a fluke, I think. But the fact [is] that I can't believe anything he says, not even the simplest thing."

Trump held a rally in Latrobe, Pa., on Thursday night, which is Fred Rogers's hometown.

She said she will "go into mourning" if Trump is reelected in November.

"I can't even imagine. I would feel so badly," she said.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-04-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            LOL...actually, I think the term you're looking for is "editorially independent of the Pentagon". I realize correlation doesn't always equal causation, but the recent push for vote-by-mail by Stars and Stripes editors was followed very closely by Esper's order to make the last publication on 9/30 and shut everything by 1/2021.

That said, if Congress restores the funding in the continuing resolution, it'll take a veto to shut it down.
            I was being snarky, actually I believe it's because Stars and Stripes has a long history of holding people in power accountable both in the Military and in the Govt. Trump hates anything that might hold him accountable, ever. He'll say it's about saving money, but in the end it's about controlling the narrative, which he's spent his entire term trying to do.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I was being snarky, actually I believe it's because Stars and Stripes has a long history of holding people in power accountable both in the Military and in the Govt. Trump hates anything that might hold him accountable, ever. He'll say it's about saving money, but in the end it's about controlling the narrative, which he's spent his entire term trying to do.
              And yet, despite them calling out his formers and betters, no president before him decided to cancel them. But no, guys, don't get your TDS in a bunch....Trump is just a normal POTUS doing normal POTUS things. Nothing authoritarian to see here. Carry on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                And yet, despite them calling out his formers and betters, no president before him decided to cancel them. But no, guys, don't get your TDS in a bunch....Trump is just a normal POTUS doing normal POTUS things. Nothing authoritarian to see here. Carry on.
                He certainly IS a POtuS.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Fox News reporter confirming details outlined in The Atlantic article. Such a cowardly POS.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Fox News reporter confirming details outlined in The Atlantic article. Such a cowardly POS.
                    I'd love to hear the defense from those who support him.

Comment

Yeah, and I suspect senior brass was quietly in favor of it, too. To your point, they’ve frequently detested the spotlight S&S would put on them. There’s a lot of history of well-known leaders - from Pershing all the way to Franks - anywhere from not liking to really hating them.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Yeah, and I suspect senior brass was quietly in favor of it, too. To your point, they’ve frequently detested the spotlight S&S would put on them. There’s a lot of history of well-known leaders - from Pershing all the way to Franks - anywhere from not liking to really hating them.
                        I read that as well, and I get it--Military personnel feel that what they do is in the best interest of National security (most times) so when they step out of line or disregard regulations and someone calls em out, the turn into Col. Jessup.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Well, then there’s always this.....

Comment

• I like that now anonymous sources are a problem. When Trump was relying on anonymous sources that Obama was not born in America, the anonymous sources were a-ok.

Comment

• I’m in the Gettysburg, PA area for the weekend, which is a serious Trumpy area. Driving the 100 or so miles to get here, half on back roads, you’d almost think there was no one running against him. I would say the Trump signs outnumbered the Biden signs by a 30-1 margin. It’s kind of horrifying. I felt the same back in 2016 when I drove up to Saratoga and saw the same phenomenon. So I keep trying to tell myself it’s different now, that he’s an epic failure as president......but in a battleground state like PA, I don’t like what I saw today, even if this county voted 70-30 for him in ‘16.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                I’m in the Gettysburg, PA area for the weekend, which is a serious Trumpy area. Driving the 100 or so miles to get here, half on back roads, you’d almost think there was no one running against him. I would say the Trump signs outnumbered the Biden signs by a 30-1 margin. It’s kind of horrifying. I felt the same back in 2016 when I drove up to Saratoga and saw the same phenomenon. So I keep trying to tell myself it’s different now, that he’s an epic failure as president......but in a battleground state like PA, I don’t like what I saw today, even if this county voted 70-30 for him in ‘16.
                                It's the same way in Western PA with the exception of Allegheny County (Pittsburgh).
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X