Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to get my hopes up, because I've let myself believe before that Trump would be held accountable for his actions to no avail, but....anyone think this Ukraine thing, where he used 100s of millions of aid money as leverage to try to get them to investigate his political rival might finally lead to his impeachment? How can anyone defend these sorts of actions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I don't want to get my hopes up, because I've let myself believe before that Trump would be held accountable for his actions to no avail, but....anyone think this Ukraine thing, where he used 100s of millions of aid money as leverage to try to get them to investigate his political rival might finally lead to his impeachment? How can anyone defend these sorts of actions?
      Impeachment? Maybe. Trump is essentially daring...almost begging...for the House to do it. But he'll never be convicted by the Senate. And it will ignite his base to go all out to stop/counter the "coup attempt", so I'm still uncomfortable with it from a practical political standpoint. I think all energies need to go into defeating him in 2020, as that's the only way I see to successfully remove him from the White House.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Impeachment? Maybe. Trump is essentially daring...almost begging...for the House to do it. But he'll never be convicted by the Senate. And it will ignite his base to go all out to stop/counter the "coup attempt", so I'm still uncomfortable with it from a practical political standpoint. I think all energies need to go into defeating him in 2020, as that's the only way I see to successfully remove him from the White House.
        I used to think that, but with this latest scandal, I wonder if the political damage ends up being more for the Republicans than the Dems with an actual vote. I don't think history will judge Trump kindly, and all those who vote to keep him in office despite what he has done--I think that will haunt them, at least some of them in some districts.

Also, Trump will invent reasons to energize his base no matter what. His base is coming out to support him no matter what. I don't see a bunch of moderate fence sitters jumping up to put MAGA hats on because of impeachment at this point. Not impeachment is basically condoning his behavior.

Comment

• Life continues to astound me.

How the holy hell did Donald Trump ever get elected to anything? I mean I wouldn't let him walk my dog. (and I don't have a dog)
          How the holy hell is Donald Trump remaining in office? I know impeachment is just the first step in the process but this dude is a criminal (IMO) and a lunatic (IMO).

Ah....being able to use terms like "holy hell" freely.

Oh.....and Happy Holidays!
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• There are people in this country who wouldn't care if he raped a woman in the street at noon in Times Square--hell there are people who'd cheer him on.

THIS is the saddest part of the Trump saga, that we live among people of such vile character.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

No disrespect, but this is typical Democrat fear-polling inaction IMO. Yes I made that word up but it's a truly bizarre calculus IMO. It's quite clear the dude needs to be impeached and the Democrats have looked absolutely pathetic with their inaction. Pelosi needs to pull her head out of her ass and get the ball rolling. If they do nothing now, it only emboldens him to keep testing the limits. Anyone who has raised kids should know how to deal with a toddler, even if he happens to be POTUS.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                There are people in this country who wouldn't care if he raped a woman in the street at noon in Times Square--hell there are people who'd cheer him on.

THIS is the saddest part of the Trump saga, that we live among people of such vile character.
                Is it really all that surprising though? In a country built on the evil dual pillars of genocide and slavery, why would you expect its citizens to be good characters? Obviously I'm not condemning all of us, but clearly there is a large segment of this country that wants to retain their privilege and could care less what it means for those not so fortunate. And they've been there for centuries.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  No disrespect, but this is typical Democrat fear-polling inaction IMO. Yes I made that word up but it's a truly bizarre calculus IMO. It's quite clear the dude needs to be impeached and the Democrats have looked absolutely pathetic with their inaction. Pelosi needs to pull her head out of her ass and get the ball rolling. If they do nothing now, it only emboldens him to keep testing the limits. Anyone who has raised kids should know how to deal with a toddler, even if he happens to be POTUS.
                  Some good points.....kinda unfair to toddlers....but some good points.
                  “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Is it really all that surprising though? In a country built on the evil dual pillars of genocide and slavery, why would you expect its citizens to be good characters? Obviously I'm not condemning all of us, but clearly there is a large segment of this country that wants to retain their privilege and could care less what it means for those not so fortunate. And they've been there for centuries.
                    yes you are right, but I guess it just hasn't been shoved in our faces as much as it seems to be today.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      There are people in this country who wouldn't care if he raped a woman in the street at noon in Times Square--hell there are people who'd cheer him on.

hy·per·bo·le
                      /hīˈpərbəlē/
                      Learn to pronounce
                      noun
                      exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Comment

I will admit that I am absolutely afraid that he will be re-elected in 2020. As well as certain that impeachment proceedings will not result in his removal from office while the GOP controls the Senate. I am, however, open to being convinced that the benefits of initiating impeachment proceedings would outweigh the costs.

Comment

I will admit that I am absolutely afraid that he will be re-elected in 2020. As well as certain that impeachment proceedings will not result in his removal from office while the GOP controls the Senate. I am, however, open to being convinced that the benefits of initiating impeachment proceedings would outweigh the costs.
                          As I mentioned above, a failure at this point to initiate proceedings will only embolden Trump to continue breaking the law. I honestly don't know enough about the legal details, but won't initiation of impeachment proceedings give Congress greater investigative powers? It will also force all of the Republican Senators to go on record defending him if he's impeached by the House. Public opinion wasn't in favor of impeaching Nixon when they started with him, so why are Democrats afraid of polling now? Of course the majority of the public isn't in favor of impeachment right now because they don't yet have all of the information. That will change as more and more information comes to light of his gross malfeasance.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

As I mentioned above, a failure at this point to initiate proceedings will only embolden Trump to continue breaking the law. I honestly don't know enough about the legal details, but won't initiation of impeachment proceedings give Congress greater investigative powers? It will also force all of the Republican Senators to go on record defending him if he's impeached by the House. Public opinion wasn't in favor of impeaching Nixon when they started with him, so why are Democrats afraid of polling now? Of course the majority of the public isn't in favor of impeachment right now because they don't yet have all of the information. That will change as more and more information comes to light of his gross malfeasance.
                            Excellent points, especially the point about how people were against impeachment of Nixon at first. People can be convinced as more evidence comes to light.

Comment

Agreed. These are all good points. Does anyone have a sense of what the timing would probably look like if proceedings were initiated within the next week or two?

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                                hy·per·bo·le
                                /hīˈpərbəlē/
                                Learn to pronounce
                                noun
                                exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
                                The man/monster himself said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose a vote. Now maybe that's hyperbole, but you have to admit it's not far from the truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X