This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    Correct. It does nothing for him if New York charged him.
    In the case of New York, it actually does. From the a recent USA Today article:

A president can't pardon state crimes directly, but some states would observe the effect of pardon on a state crime where there is both state and federal jurisdiction.

New York is one of those states. New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood has asked the state legislature to change that provision, to allow the state to prosecute someone for a state crime even if Trump granted a pardon for a federal crime.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      In the case of New York, it actually does. From the a recent USA Today article:
      At the risk of being accused of whataboutism, what about Illinois? That’s were the Bank Fraud occurred. On the other hand, the Bank in question was a federally chartered bank, so maybe Illinois can’t go after Manafort either!?!?
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Correct. It does nothing for him if New York charged him.

I’m still wondering if there’s any there there in this case. Other than the foreigners and foreign corporations I ndicted, none of the charges or plea deals of any of the campaign staff has any red meat on Trump. They are either charged with failing to register as a foreign agent, lying to Federal agent, tax evasion and/or money laundering. I think it is wrapping up and it will be interesting to see if Mueller was holding his cards so closely that nothing against Trump leaked or if there is really nothing that ties back to Trump. I suspect Trump is guilty of many things, but so far I’m not seeing what others are seeing. Manafort will go away for a long time for the Bank Fraud and Money Laundering charges and if Trump pardons him, Illinois or New York will indict him on state level charges.
        The fact that Trump is so focused on the investigation and worried enough about it to continually take steps that are contrary to political norms and either verging on or outright moving into obstruction of justice is what makes me think there is something illegal at the bottom of it that points to Trump himself. Maybe he'd do all this to protect Don Jr., but I even kind of doubt that. I don't think he loves anybody that much other than himself.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          The fact that Trump is so focused on the investigation and worried enough about it to continually take steps that are contrary to political norms and either verging on or outright moving into obstruction of justice is what makes me think there is something illegal at the bottom of it that points to Trump himself. Maybe he'd do all this to protect Don Jr., but I even kind of doubt that. I don't think he loves anybody that much other than himself.
          For a long time, it was his favorite toy, but it's expensive to maintain and takes up a lot of room. So, he's trying to get someone to take it off his hands.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            For a long time, it was his favorite toy, but it's expensive to maintain and takes up a lot of room. So, he's trying to get someone to take it off his hands.

J
            Um, what?
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Um, what?
              I was hoping you spoke his language.

Comment

Um, what?
                Gentlemen, your moment of zen!
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I was hoping you spoke his language.
                  I’m familiar with each and every word. But when put together it, reads as a foreign language!

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I’m familiar with each and every word. But when put together it, reads as a foreign language!
                    I thought it was a cute analogy.

Comment

It probably was.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

So, please translate for the rest of us who don't speak OJ...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          So, please translate for the rest of us who don't speak OJ...
                          OK, though in fairness, I thought it was pretty clear. Here's the quote I think we're talking about:

1. Trump has certainly appeared to profit politically by railing against the investigation and has done so often (it was his favorite toy).
                          2. As others have noted, he spends an inordinate amount of time on what's happening or not happening in the investigation, and he's being advised both the tenor and value of time are poor investments (it's expensive to maintain and takes up a lot of room)
                          3. However, since railing on the investigation still is perceived to have political value, he wants someone else to do the heavy lifting (i.e, complain about the slow pace of the investigation, rail about leaks and so on) while Trump reaps the benefits (getting someone to take it off his hands).

Comment

OK, though in fairness, I thought it was pretty clear. Here's the quote I think we're talking about:

1. Trump has certainly appeared to profit politically by railing against the investigation and has done so often (it was his favorite toy).
                            2. As others have noted, he spends an inordinate amount of time on what's happening or not happening in the investigation, and he's being advised both the tenor and value of time are poor investments (it's expensive to maintain and takes up a lot of room)
                            3. However, since railing on the investigation still is perceived to have political value, he wants someone else to do the heavy lifting (i.e, complain about the slow pace of the investigation, rail about leaks and so on) while Trump reaps the benefits (getting someone to take it off his hands).
                            Ok, now I get it!

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Ok, now I get it!
                              Huh - I thought he was talking about someone (Mueller) taking Don Jr. off his hands (prison).

Comment

• Chancellor da man.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X