This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    You are reacting to his reacting...stop it.
    You are reacting to his reacting of reacting...stop it.

This is the hot button topic forum...shut up Gregg.

You shut up you jackass.

Wrong thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post

You shut up you jackass.

Wrong thread.
      It's definitely the correct thread Jackass Greg

Originally posted by revo View Post
      And I tell you what -- when Dopey Donnie stops with the nicknames, I will too. Deal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Huh? What does that have to do with whether they are reactionary? Field goals always gotta move huh?
        In your post that I quoted in my reply, you state that preserving the status quo is non-reactionary. My reply indicated that it's only non-reactionary to the small minority of people who benefit. Seems pretty straightforward but if that's me moving the goal posts then not sure what to tell you.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          In your post that I quoted in my reply, you state that preserving the status quo is non-reactionary. My reply indicated that it's only non-reactionary to the small minority of people who benefit. Seems pretty straightforward but if that's me moving the goal posts then not sure what to tell you.
          Sorry, but no, that was not clear at all. But regardless, being reactionary or non-reactionary isn't perspective dependent, so it really didn't make sense in the first place.

Comment

Sorry, but no, that was not clear at all. But regardless, being reactionary or non-reactionary isn't perspective dependent, so it really didn't make sense in the first place.
            I'm being unclear, got it.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

I'm being unclear, got it.
              Not sure what's difficult about whether something is dependent on your perspective... or not... ? Seems very clear.

Comment

• Definitionally, conservatives are more "reactionary", and the word has a lot to do with perspective. I know, dictionaries have a known liberal bias.

reactionary

: relating to, marked by, or favoring reaction; especially : ultraconservative in politics
                relating to, marked by, or favoring reaction; especially : ultraconservative in politics… See the full definition

reactionary

adjective
                1.of, pertaining to, marked by, or favoring reaction, especially extreme conservatism or rightism in politics; opposing political or social change.
                The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

reactionary

adjective

Opposing political or social progress or reform.

‘reactionary attitudes toward women's rights’

strongly opposed to any social or political change
                reactionary views on the role of women

Synonyms and related words

Words used to describe someone who is stubborn and narrow-minded:stubborn, narrow, conservative...

Comment

Got it, no rational discussions allowed here. Not sure why I chimed in
                  So you disagree with my opinion?
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    So you disagree with my opinion?
                    To be honest I didn't have an opinion either way, it just wasn't relevant to the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Definitionally, conservatives are more "reactionary"
                      Learn something new every day, you are correct, my fault. I don't use the word in that way, but turns out I'm wrong, definitionally.

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      and the word has a lot to do with perspective.
                      Still disagree with you there, but that's a semantics argument. Not worth going into.

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      I know, dictionaries have a known liberal bias.
                      Sarcasm not necessary here, I agree with you on the premise.

Comment

• "The claim that everything will turn out okay because there are people inside the White House who secretly aren't following the President's orders, that is not a check. I'm being serious here. That's not how our democracy's supposed to work. These people aren't elected. They're not accountable. They're not doing us a service by actively promoting 90% of the crazy stuff that's coming out of this white house, and then saying, 'Don't worry, we're preventing the other 10%.' That's not how things are supposed to work. This is not normal. These are extraordinary times. And they're dangerous times." - Barack Obama, today

Comment

Learn something new every day, you are correct, my fault. I don't use the word in that way, but turns out I'm wrong, definitionally.
                          Yeah, one's first instinct is to read "reactionary" as a synonym for "reactive", but "reactionary" is definitely more socio-politically specific.

Comment

No problem
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

No problem
                              You too, my bad!

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                "The claim that everything will turn out okay because there are people inside the White House who secretly aren't following the President's orders, that is not a check. I'm being serious here. That's not how our democracy's supposed to work. These people aren't elected. They're not accountable. They're not doing us a service by actively promoting 90% of the crazy stuff that's coming out of this white house, and then saying, 'Don't worry, we're preventing the other 10%.' That's not how things are supposed to work. This is not normal. These are extraordinary times. And they're dangerous times." - Barack Obama, today
                                Wow, after how restrained and careful Obama has been in directly criticizing Trump, I'm surprised that now, finally, we see such a statement. To me, that it took this long speaks to how hard Obama has tried to respect the tradition of not telling the next guy how to do this job, and the fact that he finally caved into making such a statement speaks to how unprecedented this situation is. While I agree with the protocol of ex-presidents being careful about what they say about current presidents, I also think such a statement from Obama is long over due, and right on the money. It isn't supposed to work like this. A secret resistance inside the WH isn't supposed to be the check on the executive. It is supposed to be the things Trump so vehemently attacks--the other branches of government and the press. It isn't appropriate that people inside the admin are working against the President's agenda, and yet I still am happy they do that, given what Trump wants to do and who he is. The fact that Resistance is needed from within the executive branch, for the good our our country--the fact seems to not surprise many, but that is not how our government is supposed to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X