This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=baldgriff;317467

But to reiterate - strictly going off of the definition I copied - Yes he is a Nationalist - and that doesnt mean he is racist or a Nazi.[/QUOTE]

Context matters. Out of context, the term nationalism does not necessarily equate to racism. But Trump is a racist, and has openly and aggressively courted racists, and they openly and aggressively support him. So when he identifies himself as a Nationalist, the white is strongly implied. I agree with 1jay on this--Trump is not such an idiot that he didn't know what this would mean to the white nationalists who support him. He is smart enough to know what him saying this would mean to them and to the rest of us.

So, 1jay, I agree with you--Trump knew what this would mean to the white nationalists who helped get him elected, so he isn't an idiot, he is a white nationalist continuing to court other white nationalists. Glad we are on the same page with that.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-25-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Nationalism and white nationalism are two different things. Democrats, as an electoral strategy, pretend they're not. So far as I can tell, this president neither understands nor cares about the difference.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
        Nationalism and white nationalism are two different things. Democrats, as an electoral strategy, pretend they're not. So far as I can tell, this president neither understands nor cares about the difference.
        Of course. It's just another way to play the race card.

What they are covering is how elitist the Democrats have become. They point at Trump's blue-collar supporters, call them all racist, and make jokes about their speach patterns. It never occurs to them that they are the ones hating.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          He's a self-professed "nationalist". Yep, ignore its historical context, he just wants to advance US interests. I'd love to hear chance or J or CBB or BB or BG rationalize that one.
          I presume I'm the BB in question? And, if so, you'd love to hear me rationalize his comments because I do that often?
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
            I presume I'm the BB in question? And, if so, you'd love to hear me rationalize his comments because I do that often?
            Maybe he meant Bill Buckner. That would be funnier. (Although I haven't seen nor heard anything from him in years outside of his wife occasionally tagging him on a Facebook post.)

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

What they are covering is how elitist the Democrats have become. They point at Trump's blue-collar supporters, call them all racist, and make jokes about their speach patterns. It never occurs to them that they are the ones hating.

J
              I'm not pointing to blue collar supporters and calling them racist. In fact, I think it is offensive to blue collar Trump supporters who are not white nationalists to conflate them with white nationalists. Also of note, I do make fun of Trump's speech patterns, but he is not a blue collar guy. He is the self-proclaimed smartest man alive. I don't think I've seen lots of Democrats making fun of the speech patterns of his supporters. Much more often, they make fun of him, the rich, highly privileged man who think he is the best at everything, including communicating.

I could (and have), however, point to the universal love and support Trump gets from self-identified white nationalists, and the so very many instances where Trump has dog whistled them. Only two things can be true based on the evidence. 1. Trump is a completely clueless stooge being manipulated by white nationalists around him to do these things, or 2. He knows exactly what he is doing, and does them of his own volition. I happen to agree with you that he does know what he is doing. He is aware of how white nationalists feel about him, that the love him, and that is why he does not add the simple distinction in his proclaiming his nationalism that he means ALL America first, and all people in it. He does not acknowledge that the term has often been co-opted by white hate groups, and that such groups are not "true" nationalists at all. He does not do those things, because he knows that would offend the white nationalists, nazi's KKK members, etc that love and support him.

I've already written volumes in this thread with specific references about this particular subject, so I won't do that again now--the examples are there for anyone who cares to look for them.

Comment

• I find it very interesting how these “dog whistles” can always be magically heard and interpreted by those on the left. Because in my experience, if you keep hearing dog whistles....you’re the dog.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I find it very interesting how these “dog whistles” can always be magically heard and interpreted by those on the left. Because in my experience, if you keep hearing dog whistles....you’re the dog.
                  Hilarious.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    I find it very interesting how these “dog whistles” can always be magically heard and interpreted by those on the left. Because in my experience, if you keep hearing dog whistles....you’re the dog.
                    They are heard on the right too. Go to any white nationalist site to see for yourself. They have a lot in common with lefties when it comes to interpreting who Trump is and what he is saying. Lefties think he is signaling white nationalist because white nationalists say that too, and act accordingly.

But your boy Trump is is saint. How brave of him to use these bombs as another opportunity to call out fake news. I keep waiting for him to call out all the fake news on the right, like from Breitbart, which he has often praised and referenced. I guess we should keep believing HRC is running pedophilia rings but not believing anything critical of Trump from the liberal media.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                      You're right, I shouldn't have included you.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                        SO DMT -
                        Rather than dropping a crap sandwich in my lap asking for some defense of a guy that I didnt vote for - with all of the insinuated bipartisan bullshit that goes with the question related to Trump claiming "Nationalism". Why would you not just expound on what your concerns are in a similar fashion to what B-Fly presented - which I agree is a good post.

I will add, that I certainly can respect the concern related to the "dark paths" that Fly noted.

But to reiterate - strictly going off of the definition I copied - Yes he is a Nationalist - and that doesnt mean he is racist or a Nazi.
                        Trump IS a racist and his history makes it undeniable. So feel free to pretend otherwise.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                          The ol' calling anti-xxx xxx switcheroo, the Republican specialty these days.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Somehow I can't associate the dictionary definition of nationalist with Trump. I think about de Gaulle's comparison of patriotism and nationalism - "Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first. Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first." After listening to Trump and reading his tweets for the past 3 years, this (at least to me) seems much more up his alley.

Comment

• Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                              Somehow I can't associate the dictionary definition of nationalist with Trump. I think about de Gaulle's comparison of patriotism and nationalism - "Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first. Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first." After listening to Trump and reading his tweets for the past 3 years, this (at least to me) seems much more up his alley.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                They are heard on the right too. Go to any white nationalist site to see for yourself. They have a lot in common with lefties when it comes to interpreting who Trump is and what he is saying. Lefties think he is signaling white nationalist because white nationalists say that too, and act accordingly.

But your boy Trump is is saint. How brave of him to use these bombs as another opportunity to call out fake news. I keep waiting for him to call out all the fake news on the right, like from Breitbart, which he has often praised and referenced. I guess we should keep believing HRC is running pedophilia rings but not believing anything critical of Trump from the liberal media.
                                Never said he was a saint, nor have I ever claimed that. It’s just interesting and informative to me that leftists and white nationalists hear the same thing from something others can’t hear. And then figuring out exactly what breed of dog keeps hearing the same dog whistles.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X