This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    Ya know. I really hate “defending” the guy, but some of this is in fake news or at least twisted/distorted news. I don’t believe he “admitted” he paid Stormy Daniels and if he did please show me where this is specifically admitted to. He noted on his annual 2017 financial disclosure that he reimbursed Cohen for expenses, which people rightly or wrongly have assumed was for buying an NDA with Stormy Daniels. As for the “animals” comment on immigrants, it was during a discussion with County Sheriffs in which they discussed their frustration with the conflict between federal and local laws regarding criminals who are in the country illiegally, specifically MS-13 members. Trump called them animals. But yet again, YMMV.
    Even CNN covered the "animals" quote correctly, noting that it was in context of deporting MS-13 gang members.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Yup. I was editing when you posted and was going to link a c-span video but nevermind it doesn’t matter anyway!
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Even CNN covered the "animals" quote correctly, noting that it was in context of deporting MS-13 gang members.
        I still wouldn't call them animals...

they prefer "Superpredators"
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          I still wouldn't call them animals...

they prefer "Superpredators"
          But, apparently it’s ok to call them immigrants!
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
            Ya know. I really hate “defending” the guy, but some of this is in fake news or at least twisted/distorted news. I don’t believe he “admitted” he paid Stormy Daniels and if he did please show me where this is specifically admitted to. He noted on his annual 2017 financial disclosure that he reimbursed Cohen for expenses, which people rightly or wrongly have assumed was for buying an NDA with Stormy Daniels. His attorney indictated that he reimbursed Cohen for this among other things.

From CNN:

As for the “animals” comment on immigrants, it was during a discussion with County Sheriffs in which they discussed their frustration with the conflict between federal and local laws regarding criminals who are in the country illiegally, specifically MS-13 members. Trump called them animals. But yet again, YMMV.
            You don't call people animals, you simply don't. You might call a certain individual an animal, based on his/her conduct, but to single out a group and call them animals, no. That is NOT acceptable. This is the actual quote...

“We have people coming into the country — or trying to come in, we’re stopping a lot of them — but we’re taking people out of the country, you wouldn’t believe how bad these people are,” Trump said. “These aren’t people. These are animals.”
            And BB, you're trying to dance on the edge of a razor blade by saying Trump didn't actually "admit" that he paid Stormy Daniels...from USA Today:

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 156 COMMENTEMAILMORE

WASHINGTON – President Trump formally disclosed Wednesday that he paid his attorney as much as $250,000 as reimbursements for expenses — which included a $130,000 payoff to adult film star Stormy Daniels, who says she had a sexual encounter with him.

The disclosure came in his annual financial disclosure report to the Office of Government Ethics. Consistent with similar disclosures, Trump reported that the payments were in a broad range of $100,000 to $250,000.

Trump said he was listing the reimbursements to Michael Cohen — first made public by lawyer Rudy Giuliani two weeks ago — "in the interest of transparency," even though he said he was not required to disclose them.

But ethics officials said in a note on his form that they have concluded otherwise. "The information related to the payment made by Mr. Cohen is required to be reported," the officials said.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              You don't call people animals, you simply don't. You might call a certain individual an animal, based on his/her conduct, but to single out a group and call them animals, no. That is NOT acceptable.
              And as CNN Politics noted, the quote was clearly in response to a question about the MS-13 gang during the sanctuary city roundtable.

It's clear our mileage will vary here. Due to my work experience in El Salvador, I'll agree that "animals" may not be an acceptable term, but only because relating MS-13 gang bangers to animals is insulting to animals.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• BB, for not being a Trump supporter, you sure give him the benefit of the doubt like one.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Lather...rinse...repeat. The President will seize any opportunity he has to insult legitimately deplorable immigrant criminals using language that dog whistles to the alt-right base, with the added bonus that he can then slam the media and "SJWs" for their predictable (over-)reaction to the happily utilized trigger, and further dispirit immigrants who feel he's broad-brushing them all using the violent criminal behavior of a very small percentage of immigrants (and even of undocumented immigrants), and converting that into policy. It pisses me off, in part because he's wielded the tactic so effectively since the moment he announced his candidacy. It leaves me feeling that any time I or someone who shares my point of view expresses our honest disgust with the tactic, it just further plays into his hands.
                  Last edited by B-Fly; 05-17-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

And as CNN Politics noted, the quote was clearly in response to a question about the MS-13 gang during the sanctuary city roundtable.

It's clear our mileage will vary here. Due to my work experience in El Salvador, I'll agree that "animals" may not be an acceptable term, but only because relating MS-13 gang bangers to animals is insulting to animals.
                    Nope, never ever going to lump an entire group of people under then same vile umbrella. The same thing happened to Jews not too long ago...labeling is a very slippery slope.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

hmm, I wonder why its called fake news?
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

The sheriff was obviously speaking about gang members and MS-13, but Trump then conflated that with a much larger group. Instead of keeping the discussion about MS-13, Trump changed it to "We have people coming into the country." Sure, Trump is extremely sloppy with his language, but he always stretches the actions of a few to smear an entire group (Muslims, Immigrants, Media, FBI, Democrats, Judges, etc.)

Comment

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                          The sheriff was obviously speaking about gang members and MS-13, but Trump then conflated that with a much larger group. Instead of keeping the discussion about MS-13, Trump changed it to "We have people coming into the country." Sure, Trump is extremely sloppy with his language, but he always stretches the actions of a few to smear an entire group (Muslims, Immigrants, Media, FBI, Democrats, Judges, etc.)
                          So in your mind, "people" in this context cannot only mean MS-13?
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            Of course it could, but given his history of smearing larger groups, it is a perfectly reasonable interpretation.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• It's just amazing the knots some in here will perform to defend a President they don't support.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                Here's the ACTUAL transcript...the Sheriff was referring to a single member of MS-13:

SHERIFF MIMS: It’s a disgrace.

THE PRESIDENT: And we’re suing on that, and we’re working hard, and I think it will all come together, because people want it to come together. It’s so ridiculous. The concept that we’re even talking about is ridiculous. We’ll take care of it, Margaret. We’ll win.

SHERIFF MIMS: Thank you. There could be an MS-13 member I know about — if they don’t reach a certain threshold, I cannot tell ICE about it.

THE PRESIDENT: We have people coming into the country, or trying to come in — and we’re stopping a lot of them — but we’re taking people out of the country. You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are. These aren’t people. These are animals. And we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before. And because of the weak laws, they come in fast, we get them, we release them, we get them again, we bring them out. It’s crazy.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X