X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    John McCain:

"Today’s press conference in Helsinki was one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory. The damage inflicted by President Trump’s naiveté, egotism, false equivalence, and sympathy for autocrats is difficult to calculate. But it is clear that the summit in Helsinki was a tragic mistake. President Trump proved not only unable, but unwilling to stand up to Putin. He and Putin seemed to be speaking from the same script as the president made a conscious choice to defend a tyrant against the fair questions of a free press, and to grant Putin an uncontested platform to spew propaganda and lies to the world. It is tempting to describe the press conference as a pathetic rout – as an illustration of the perils of under-preparation and inexperience. But these were not the errant tweets of a novice politician. These were the deliberate choices of a president who seems determined to realize his delusions of a warm relationship with Putin’s regime without any regard for the true nature of his rule, his violent disregard for the sovereignty of his neighbors, his complicity in the slaughter of the Syrian people, his violation of international treaties, and his assault on democratic institutions throughout the world. Coming close on the heels of President Trump’s bombastic and erratic conduct towards our closest friends and allies in Brussels and Britain, today’s press conference marks a recent low point in the history of the American Presidency. That the president was attended in Helsinki by a team of competent and patriotic advisors makes his blunders and capitulations all the more painful and inexplicable. No prior president has ever abased himself more abjectly before a tyrant. Not only did President Trump fail to speak the truth about an adversary; but speaking for America to the world, our president failed to defend all that makes us who we are—a republic of free people dedicated to the cause of liberty at home and abroad. American presidents must be the champions of that cause if it is to succeed. Americans are waiting and hoping for President Trump to embrace that sacred responsibility. One can only hope they are not waiting totally in vain.”
    Dammit, I'm going to miss that guy when he's gone. A true voice of integrity on the right. It sickens me that because he said these true words, he will now be vilified and attacked by Trump-bots.

I'd LOVE for the Trump defenders here to try defend him on this. If you are being honest with yourself, you can't.

Comment

• Wow. Those are some powerful statements from members of the President's own party.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Wow. Those are some powerful statements from members of the President's own party.
        This moment, with Putin, is what I think a lot of smart Republicans feared, maybe above all else, might happen. I think many hoped beyond hope that with all the Mueller stuff swirling, Trump would wise up, and this wouldn't happen, and embarrass the nation, but their hopes were dashed today. There will be those that try to spin this, but I hope it is a wake up call for some of his supporters.

John Brennen also called his press conference treasonous. I know as a metaphysical certitude that if Obama had done this, every single Conservative Pundit would have called this the same, and would be calling for his resignation from office.

Comment

• So are any more Republican leaders going to be forming exploratory committees for 2020 now?

Comment

• Even if you get your news from Fox, Breitbart or Drudge, Trump is just getting savaged today.

Comment

Even if you get your news from Fox, Breitbart or Drudge, Trump is just getting savaged today.
              As well he should be. This will be a very interesting test case to see how much of Trump's popularity and success are due to him being supported by these news sources, and how much of it will survive despite even the sources who have carried the most water for him turning on him.

Comment

Even if you get your news from Fox, Breitbart or Drudge, Trump is just getting savaged today.
                Against my better judgment, I went on Breitbart. They're not really savaging him. And the comments still love him. Although the comments section of a website like Breitbart are truly brutal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  That would be a hell of a step up. I've made mention of this before (Bernie got mad at me for saying it; still not sure why)--we can disagree on substantive issues all we want, but why don't we all agree to elect our best and brightest instead of idiot/clowns? The GOP went with a total clown in Trump, when they have minds and voices, like Shapiro, who would have been more qualified and dignified in the office.
                  Here’s my issue, not something that I’m mad about, and you’re not the only one who does it, but you ask a question which protends to be seeking input on the other side’s perspective but somewhere within that question it is clear that you’ll never accept the answer. It’s sort of like walking into a bar, punching someone in the face and then saying hey I’d love to hear your thoughts on blah blah blah. Probably the bloody-nosed guy isn’t going to answer or will strike back in self-defense.

The their are more than a few posters who walk into that bar and just starting shooting from the hip!
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    John McCain:

"Today’s press conference in Helsinki was one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory. The damage inflicted by President Trump’s naiveté, egotism, false equivalence, and sympathy for autocrats is difficult to calculate. But it is clear that the summit in Helsinki was a tragic mistake. President Trump proved not only unable, but unwilling to stand up to Putin. He and Putin seemed to be speaking from the same script as the president made a conscious choice to defend a tyrant against the fair questions of a free press, and to grant Putin an uncontested platform to spew propaganda and lies to the world. It is tempting to describe the press conference as a pathetic rout – as an illustration of the perils of under-preparation and inexperience. But these were not the errant tweets of a novice politician. These were the deliberate choices of a president who seems determined to realize his delusions of a warm relationship with Putin’s regime without any regard for the true nature of his rule, his violent disregard for the sovereignty of his neighbors, his complicity in the slaughter of the Syrian people, his violation of international treaties, and his assault on democratic institutions throughout the world. Coming close on the heels of President Trump’s bombastic and erratic conduct towards our closest friends and allies in Brussels and Britain, today’s press conference marks a recent low point in the history of the American Presidency. That the president was attended in Helsinki by a team of competent and patriotic advisors makes his blunders and capitulations all the more painful and inexplicable. No prior president has ever abased himself more abjectly before a tyrant. Not only did President Trump fail to speak the truth about an adversary; but speaking for America to the world, our president failed to defend all that makes us who we are—a republic of free people dedicated to the cause of liberty at home and abroad. American presidents must be the champions of that cause if it is to succeed. Americans are waiting and hoping for President Trump to embrace that sacred responsibility. One can only hope they are not waiting totally in vain.”

Suffice it to say that today wasn’t Trumps finest day!!! If the Dems believe they can do it, I wish they’d begin the impeachment hearings. Treason is hard to prove and I’m not even sure what it looks like, but this was something today. Maybe a GOPer or two (Two Arizona Republican come to mind) would join in.

Funny story, I was watching CNN coverage at home on Directv. Just as Trump walked into the press conference, my screen went blank and my DTV receiver froze. I thought momentarily that the Gov killed coverage. Just my receiver updating!
                    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                      Here’s my issue, not something that I’m mad about, and you’re not the only one who does it, but you ask a question which protends to be seeking input on the other side’s perspective but somewhere within that question it is clear that you’ll never accept the answer. It’s sort of like walking into a bar, punching someone in the face and then saying hey I’d love to hear your thoughts on blah blah blah. Probably the bloody-nosed guy isn’t going to answer or will strike back in self-defense.

The their are more than a few posters who walk into that bar and just starting shooting from the hip!
                      See, and I don't see it as punching anyone here to be critical of the leaders we elect. I was/continue to be critical of the leaders--they are not our best and brightest in most cases. I don't think it is unfair to say that is especially true of some Republicans lately, and most especially true of our current POTUS. It is more like I am going into a bar and punching the people some of you voted for. But not you directly. I think there is a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I'd LOVE for the Trump defenders here to try defend him on this. If you are being honest with yourself, you can't.
                        While I’m too lazy to find other examples, here is a very recent one. And, by here I assume you mean here on this Board, not those out in the wild. So, to my point, are really asking for a defense or is this just a fancy way of stating your opinion? Ok, I’ll admit that I took the short bus to school. Maybe I just don’t get it.
                        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 07-16-2018, 04:36 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• I didnt vote Trump. I am not a Trumper.

I have appreciated his SCOTUS picks....

This guy who I disagree with on a great deal of stuff, got this 2% right. Glad I didnt vote for the other major candidate.

LOL!
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• This comment, again, he got SCOTUS picks so glad other candidate didnt win, there must be a breaking point, no?

Thats the line we keep going back to? Almost any other of the 17 R or however many were on stage at start would have made same picks from same list handed down by Koch brothers. Any of those other candidates were highly qualified, experienced, seriously sharp, with respect towards our country bedrock principles. Rubio, Cruz, Kasich, Bush, Pataki, Graham, whoever else would all have been solid, wouldnt have been world stage laughing stock, just throw a dart and try to hit the board, we threw the dart, missed the board that represents "someone" and hit the drunk guy at end of bar trying to open the peanut shells.

Comment

• The problem with hoping that the current GOP members of the House and Senate do something about Trump's actions is that you'll likely end up dissapointed, again. None of them seem to have the moral courage to actually buck trump on any issue, instead they wring their hands and mouth platitudes. That's why the midterms are so vital, there needs to be an opposition to what the Administration seems to be doing on a daily basis.

Yes, today was disgusting and embarrassing for people who still believe that this country is what it once was, but the only way to change course of this ship is to seize the wheel. They'll still be able to do plenty of damage, but it's pretty much all reversible in time. Donate, Register, help others, and above all VOTE! Changing the people in power is the only way this changes the system.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Not sure if that is directed at me GC -

I placed plenty of caveats on my post that I didnt vote Trump. Am I happy with much else that has occurred? Honestly, I cant say that life for me is much different - probably until I file my taxes in 2018. Price of gas has remained relatively the same. Healthcare premiums went up (wow - there is a shock). My mortgage rate is locked in. Grocery bill about the same as last year.....

Now when the affects of the tarrifs become clearly known as a net negative affect and I have to pay more for gas than I did when it was almost $4 in MN, then yeah I will get pissed. Is he a moron? Probably so. What some run of the mill person of German, British, Austrian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Sudanese, Libyan, French, Italian, Canadian or other nationality thinks of Trump is honestly of little consequence to me and affects my day to day life basically at a rate of zilch. Well accept for the occasional Canadian on this site screaming about Trump (JK)....

I am way more worried about domestic policy than I am about foreign policy.

All that said - again I didnt vote for him so in my mind the fact that he seems to have gotten SCOTUS picks that are cons/centrist is a good thing in my mind. There is no way that the same selections would have been made by HRC. So I take the SCOTUS things as wins from someone I didnt support.
                                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                                X