Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't forget when supporting military spending on the campaign trail and riding down the street in a tank for photo opps, don't wear a helmet that's too big or you'll look like the Great Gazoo.

because he was sent to Earth from his home planet Zetox for inventing a doomsday machine. and he is green like Thanos and he's snapping his fingers! ..this whole time the Great Gazoo was wearing an Infinity Gauntlet and Fred Flintstone never noticed?

Comment

• "My point was that the same people that were all supportive of the bakery in CO and VA for their stances against individuals getting bent out of shape about this is odd because the latter is a direct by-product of the former."

well, not exactly. but it is amusing to see the hypocrisy of the left and the right on whether the cake-baker or the restaurant owner gets to deny someone service. the answer, of course, is that it's ok if "our guy" does it!
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I agree, the Trump regime is one of hatred. If you work for them, be prepared to face off against the opposition at all times. Especially if you’re the Joseph Goebbels of the crew. But I agree with Rep. Elijah Cummings, that she should have been served. Stay above the fray.

I saw a great post by Jim Wright that Trump, Sanders and the others should have been ecstatic that this happened to them, because this is what they wanted. Very amusing.
        i see what you did there. heh

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          "My point was that the same people that were all supportive of the bakery in CO and VA for their stances against individuals getting bent out of shape about this is odd because the latter is a direct by-product of the former."

well, not exactly. but it is amusing to see the hypocrisy of the left and the right on whether the cake-baker or the restaurant owner gets to deny someone service. the answer, of course, is that it's ok if "our guy" does it!
          It's my opinion that it's not OK to be denied service unless you are a threat to the people in the place. If you're belligerant, yelling, drunk, brandishing a weapon, etc - you're out. Denying someone service because their beliefs aren't in line with yours is a dark path to travel down. Those who choose to go down that path cannot both deny service to someone and then get bent out of shape (and use the official twitter handle of the Press Secretary) to call out a busienss for essentially doing the same thing. If she's so above and beyond the fray, why the f**k would you use the PressSec handle to call attention to it? It was a dog whistle opportunity they used to deflect the news away from their abhorrent handling of issues at the border.

Comment

I agree, the Trump regime is one of hatred. If you work for them, be prepared to face off against the opposition at all times. Especially if you’re the Joseph Goebbels of the crew. But I agree with Rep. Elijah Cummings, that she should have been served. Stay above the fray.

I saw a great post by Jim Wright that Trump, Sanders and the others should have been ecstatic that this happened to them, because this is what they wanted. Very amusing.
            Yeah, that's what seems to happen, a gain of 2 feet, backstep a foot and a half. It's the great Democratic way.

And please, please, please, no more Nazi analogies...that helps no one even if you believe it deep down in your heart.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Sanders did post from her twitter account which is official and you shouldn't do that i guess. i think i actually find her attractive. i am not sure but i like strong smart women. she's good at her job. i worked on a farm once and a girl that lived there that really wanted me kind of resembled her... i probably would've used the opportunity to talk to her. i'm not sure maybe i would've came away and been like OMG! i have the hots for Sarah Huckabee. but i'm not really attracted to conservative women.

also, i am not sure this isn't a chik fil a thing instead of a gay wedding cake one. can't really keep up with all of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                My community is mostly a liberal echo chamber, but I've made a point to find some online spaces where I can engage in discussion with Republicans, conservatives, Trump supporters, people who don't like Trump but hated him less than Hillary Clinton, people who deeply mistrust the media, etc. And in my very left-liberal community, I have seen many of my friends and neighbors shed all Trump/GOP "apologists" from their Facebook feeds and gang up on community Facebook pages against the small minority of dissenting conservatives. I have not purged my friends list and I am warm and friendly toward the few conservatives in my community and would be pissed off if anyone tried to kick them out of a restaurant or harass them at a school event for their bumper stickers or yard signs.

I get where many liberals are coming from - they honestly view the Trump Administration's policies and rhetoric as grounded in or at least providing succor and comfort to a strain of white nationalism/nativism. I happen to agree with them on that. Then the question becomes whether those who do not agree with them on that, and who would make apologies for the President or the Administration or the GOPers who fall in line with Trump, are themselves "guilty" of tacit acceptance of white nationalism/nativism, and if so, how they (liberals) can still engage with those folks (conservatives) positively when they view the white nationalism/nativism strain of Trumpism as so deeply morally repugnant.

I struggle because I do arrive at my own political and ideological views through both "rational" and "moral" analysis. I am not a moral relativist and think there very often is a correct (or at least more correct) moral position on many controversial issues. I generally make a conscious effort to avoid what many conservatives deride as "virtue signaling" while still explaining the moral, as well as the rational, basis for my position on a given issue. But I too can get super frustrated with "whataboutism" where every time a Democrat/liberal/progressive person gets upset about something from the Trump Administration, someone feels the need to counter that by digging for something that happened on Obama's watch or Clinton's watch (or at least something that a right-leaning website dug up and spun for the occasion), and accusing the upset liberal of selective partisan outrage instead of addressing the current issue on its merits. Maybe there is more coverage of and awareness of bad stuff done by or allowed by the Trump administration. But is the best response to that to largely gloss over the bad stuff to instead focus on blaming the media for reporting it now when they didn't report it to the same extent three years ago or twenty years ago? Or is the best response to address it on its merits today and then fight to hold the media (and liberals) to a higher standard next time they're the ones steering the ship?
                I have disengaged from the facebook discussions of both sides because they tend to be rather ill-informed. I appreciate what I learn from others here an over face-to-face discussions with folks at the tavern, but Facebook is just a terrible place for this. I have to go to a family wedding next month where half of them have feeds just filled with demonstrably false meme junk reposted from others. I wasn't even invited to the last wedding from this branch of the tree because my cousin didn't care for my beliefs (he makes everyone here look like a liberal) but his sister is more independent so I'm coming.

Comment

• I never joined Facebook, and I don't understand why those who have ever began spouting their political views on it. what's the upside?

there seems to be some sort of basic primal neurosis in humans that Facebook uncovered.

I have no idea who some of my siblings and their spouses voted for in 2016. with some others, I have a reasonable guess - but I am not sure, because they have never told me. I know for sure that I don't care.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Harley-Davidson, one of the EU's tariff targets in their surgical tariff strike (which raised the tariff on Harleys from 6% to 31%), announced that because it will not raise the bike's price by the $2,200 that it will need to go up, and because they anticipate a $100m annual loss from the tariffs that they will not accept, is moving the production facilities for all bikes made for the EU to Europe from Milwaukee, a permanent job loss here in the US. #thanksdonald #tradewarsareeasytowin

Mid Continental Nail Corp. of Poplar Bluffs, Missouri, one of the country's last nail producers, claims it has lost 50% of its business in just two weeks and has laid off 60 of its 500 workers already. The company's owner, who voted for and was a huge Trump fan, is now lobbying Democratic Senator McCaskill for help. #thanksdonald #tradewarsareeasytowin
                    https://www.missourinet.com/2018/06/...ouri-employer/
                    I look forward to those laid off expressing disbelief that his policies would actually hurt them.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      I never joined Facebook, and I don't understand why those who have ever began spouting their political views on it. what's the upside?

there seems to be some sort of basic primal neurosis in humans that Facebook uncovered.
                      It can actually be a very effective tool for community/political organizing. Given your geography and line of work, I'm sure you're familiar with the example of NJ 11th for Change, a Facebook-centered-and-driven local political group that sprung up after the 2016 elections and that organized intense constituent/political pressure focused on Rep. Rodney Freylinghuysen (R-NJ), who after decades of coasting to re-election in NJ's 11th Congressional District stumbled under the intense constituent pressure and ultimately announced he wouldn't seek re-election. That once safe Republican district is now projected to flip blue in November, and Facebook and the manner in which it facilitated the emergence and growth of NJ 11th for Change, played a critical role. I think Facebook has generally been pretty effective at generating interest in political issues and elections and driving up voter enthusiasm and turnout.

Comment

• That is just one of many benefits to Facebook.
                        That said, losing family members and once-close friends - which often occurs these days - doesn't seem like a perfect tradeoff.

I understand you have made efforts to avoid being "trapped in a bubble." That doesn't seem like a common thing, alas.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                          senoesheep, this is what set you off "I would guess there are only about 30 active posters in sportsbar that play in the politics areas. From what I see, about 1/2 are liberal, and 1/2 are some group that regardless of what I try to describe will be pissed, but are pro Trump supporters/defenders while claiming to be moderate." which I doesnt deserve that absurd juvenile response. are my numbers off, 30 posters, with 1/2 liberal, and 1/2 some other non easily classified but are shades of Trump defenders, or simply anti liberal bias.

I should walk you thru the names of those who arent liberal, but are the non easily classified shades of else? hey, you want to have a ridiculous meltdown then I guess thats happy for you, and have at it, others like hot yoga or reading Stephen King. I have been disrespected directly a couple times on this board, without ever directing a potty mouth fit at anyone. I have participated on and off for many years on this board, without personally attacking anyone. You cant do that, no biggie.

I for sure think Trump has inside track on winning another term. I am seeing shorthand thinking in twitter character limits transforming thought process of every day interactions
                          Claiming that posters who have been here for years are "pro Trump supporters/defenders... claiming to be moderate" is a personal attack. You're accusing them of being dishonest. Do you see DMT, B-Fly, Hornsby, or Sour Masher making paranoid accusations about the secret agendas of posters who disagree with them? Nope - when they are challenged on what they say, they simply answer whatever is put forth, directly. I often disagree with those guys, but I respect them, because they think for themselves, and as such, they can handle some pushback without melting into a puddle of unsubstantiated recriminations.

You can't do that, no biggie. But if your response to people who disagree with your opinions is to make vague passive-aggressive suggestions that they are being dishonest, you probably ought to expect less-than-friendly feedback.
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            What a vile, childish, and stupid response to such a non-inflammatory statement. His point was to not flame, as courteous posters attempt to do (y'know, avoid personal attacks)... your point was to start a flame war by throwing a temper tantrum and trying to sound tough.

"Kindly, SHUT THE FUCK UP!"... Wow, real showcase of class going on here.
                            Calling someone dishonest is pretty inflammatory, IMO. What you saw as courteous, I saw as passive-aggressive and douche-y. I prefer a direct flaming - if gstomp thinks I'm a secret Trump bot disguising my true nature on a fantasy baseball website for some nefarious purpose, he should say so directly, so I can tell him precisely how full of sh!t he is, if I care to do so.

Given the number of classless, childish trolling tantrums you've pitched in this forum, I think I'll wait for one of the grown-ups to scold me before I consider repenting my vile sins. LOL
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• President Trump on Monday blasted a small restaurant in rural Virginia whose owner asked White House press secretary Sarah Sanders to leave because its staff disagreed with the administration’s policies.

So Donald "Little Hands" Trump blasts the restaurant that asked Sanders to leave saying it needs a paint job and has dirty canopies, doors, and windows and inferring the food must be bad if the outside is dirty. My main take from this is that I feel so silly calling him "Little Hands", like I was in 4th grade or something, but he still thinks this is a good way to communicate. I guess his fans love it. As long as Trump doesn't come after them.

Comment

• Tit for tat is what a two party system gets you.

It amazes me the vibrato the Democrats had when Michelle Obama uttered the words, "When they go low. We go high."...that lasted maybe a week. When I make that comment to my liberal friends when they enter the muck of Donnie T, the answer I get is, "We can't let him get away with speech like that." When you want to keep the moral high ground, you can never go in the muck. The restaurant owner won the battle, but in doing so, she left the whole flank of the liberal side of the issue exposed and Donnie Baby is, to quote Charlie Sheen, "WINNING!"
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X