This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    Better than forced separation. They need to dedicate extra resources to process these cases as expeditiously as possible and should try to expedite families with young children. And the conditions of the waiting/detention centers need to be as humane as they can be made. In fact, I'd suggest they should invite impartial monitors to observe the detention centers.
    While I agree with everything that you said, where do these extra resources come from?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      While I agree with everything that you said, where do these extra resources come from?
      Military spending, tax increases, wherever. It's the right thing and needs to happen. The expenses would be a drop in the budgetary bucket.

Comment

Better than forced separation. They need to dedicate extra resources to process these cases as expeditiously as possible and should try to expedite families with young children. And the conditions of the waiting/detention centers need to be as humane as they can be made. In fact, I'd suggest they should invite impartial monitors to observe the detention centers.
        Human treatment of the children has never been an issue, reportage to the contrary. Making room for whole families should not stress things much.

The 1997 law was intended as a deterrent to illegal immigration. Hearsay from Mexico suggests that it was deterring as intended. It remains to be seen if this new policy stimulates more movement. Plus, we still have the children sent alone to deal with. That was always the largest issue.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Military spending, tax increases, wherever. It's the right thing and needs to happen. The expenses would be a drop in the budgetary bucket.
          Good point, Trump just made a big show of dropping military exercises in the far east...should be a few billion laying around now.

And, BTW, this is the policy going forward, to keep families together. All indications seem to be that there will be little to no push to find children already separated from their families, and reunite them.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

So this may sound not so friendly, but you talk about tax increases. Perhaps, we should have a special tax for those people immigrating to help support this. Perhaps X% for the first 3-5 years of their salary/wages while living here. I'm not sure I totally agree with what I'm stating, just throwing out an idea.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
              So this may sound not so friendly, but you talk about tax increases. Perhaps, we should have a special tax for those people immigrating to help support this. Perhaps X% for the first 3-5 years of their salary/wages while living here. I'm not sure I totally agree with what I'm stating, just throwing out an idea.
              I'm a "social compact" kind of guy. I think we're all in this together, and that we as a society need to determine what services and protections to provide to all individuals in our society from a basic humanitarian and social welfare standpoint, and then we need to collectively fund that in a way that equitably considers each individual member's capacity to contribute. I'm not generally in favor of regressive taxation that places a higher proportional burden on those with the least based on the assumption that they're the ones deriving the greatest benefit.

Comment

• Wow this misinformation sure became a rallying cry.

The picture of a Honduran girl crying as she and her mother are detained in Texas has grabbed worldwide attention and come to symbolize the intense debate about separating children from their parents. Time magazine put the young girl on this week’s cover, but the Border Patrol agent involved in the dramatic scene says the photo might be a little misleading. That agent said the mother and daughter were never separated and are still together.

“We asked her to set the kid down in front of her, not away from her, she was right in front of her…So we can properly search the mother,” Ruiz said. “So the kid immediately started crying as she set her down. I personally went up to the mother and asked her ‘Are you doing OK? Is the kid OK?’ and she said, ‘Yes. She’s tired and thirsty. It’s 11 o’clock at night.'”
                https://cbsloc.al/2K0akba
                Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-22-2018, 10:11 AM.
                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                  Wow this misinformation sure became a rallying cry.

If that's what it took to get Trump to back off this miserable policy of his...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Where will we get resources to properly process families coming into country? How is that the question now, when this is the year Trump pushed a 200 billion increase in US military spending. Robert Reich broke down what that figure means http://www.newsweek.com/robert-reich...res-how-983843 with US spending more on military than next 10 countries budgets in the world. "Even if the Pentagon budget were cut in half, the United States would still outspend China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea combined. "This isnt spending going into pockets of the volunteer active force take home pay, but the top 5 CEO of defense firms took home about 100 mill last year.

Reich broke down what 200 bill looks like: Since taking office, Trump has increased military spending by more than $200 billion. Let’s take a second to look at how else that $200 billion could be spent. We could, for example:

Offer free public colleges and universities, as proposed by Bernie Sanders.
                    And fund the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
                    And expand broadband internet access to rural America.
                    And meet the growing needs for low-income housing, providing safe living conditions for families and the elderly.
                    And repair the physical devastation in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

Of course this is wacky, US shouldnt be doing all the above, it would break our budget, but we did break the budget anyway by adding to already bloated military spending while slashing the tax base at same time. I really dont get what conservative is supposed to mean at this point, it certainly isnt fiscal restraint.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                      Where will we get resources to properly process families coming into country? How is that the question now, when this is the year Trump pushed a 200 billion increase in US military spending. Robert Reich broke down what that figure means http://www.newsweek.com/robert-reich...res-how-983843 with US spending more on military than next 10 countries budgets in the world. "Even if the Pentagon budget were cut in half, the United States would still outspend China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea combined. "This isnt spending going into pockets of the volunteer active force take home pay, but the top 5 CEO of defense firms took home about 100 mill last year.

Reich broke down what 200 bill looks like: Since taking office, Trump has increased military spending by more than $200 billion. Let’s take a second to look at how else that $200 billion could be spent. We could, for example:

Offer free public colleges and universities, as proposed by Bernie Sanders.
                      And fund the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
                      And expand broadband internet access to rural America.
                      And meet the growing needs for low-income housing, providing safe living conditions for families and the elderly.
                      And repair the physical devastation in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

Of course this is wacky, US shouldnt be doing all the above, it would break our budget, but we did break the budget anyway by adding to already bloated military spending while slashing the tax base at same time. I really dont get what conservative is supposed to mean at this point, it certainly isnt fiscal restraint.

Comment

• Now the President told his party to stop wasting time working on an immigration bill. Asshole.

For weeks, House Republican leaders have been working behind closed doors to thread the needle on an immigration bill that could secure the support of the bulk on their conference.

Comment

Now the President told his party to stop wasting time working on an immigration bill. Asshole.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/22/polit...eet/index.html
                          IMO, that's fine. It's not like they were going to bring anything to the table that would have been in any way humanitarian. It's time to play out the clock for a while, stop trying to pander to him, and see where the elections go in November.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                            Wow this misinformation sure became a rallying cry.

I am shocked that the media would twist the facts to push their agenda.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Now the President told his party to stop wasting time working on an immigration bill. Asshole.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/22/polit...eet/index.html
                              whatever they passed would have been DOA in the senate.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                I am shocked that the media would twist the facts to push their agenda.
                                But don’t say msm. Say liberal media!
                                Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-22-2018, 04:02 PM.
                                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X