This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    I'm just curious... Is vox the liberal equivalent of various conservative websites like breitbart?
    Breitbart is mostly a curation and outrage tool, maybe along the lines of HuffingtonPost or DailyKos. Vox is much more thoughtful analysis, along the lines of FiveThirtyEight. For thoughtful conservative analysis, I will check in on some of the stuff curated/linked by RealClearPolitics and the Daily Wire with some regularity, but beyond Ben Shapiro himself, and him only on occasion, the DailyWire is trending toward being mostly an outrage factory as well. I also like getting sharp, humor-laced analysis from the female and black perspectives by checking in with Jezebel and The Root. That's fun stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      Breitbart is mostly a curation and outrage tool, maybe along the lines of HuffingtonPost or DailyKos. Vox is much more thoughtful analysis, along the lines of FiveThirtyEight. For thoughtful conservative analysis, I will check in on some of the stuff curated/linked by RealClearPolitics and the Daily Wire with some regularity, but beyond Ben Shapiro himself, and him only on occasion, the DailyWire is trending toward being mostly an outrage factory as well. I also like getting sharp, humor-laced analysis from the female and black perspectives by checking in with Jezebel and The Root. That's fun stuff.
      I guess I can see the comparison of Breitbart to HPost. I've never checked out dailywire.com, will have to put it on my reading list. I was just a bit disappointed that the right doesnt have a website like Vox. Its either right leaning moderate or bomb throwing and I see Vox somewhere between those two - left leaning moderate and bomb throwing DailyKos.
      Last edited by cardboardbox; 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Regulatory relief for banks! Yay? Congress working together to solve the most important problems impacting the lives of everyday Americans!

Seriously, though, I recognize the arguments for and against, as outlined better in this Vox link than in the link you provided from the American Banking Association's Banking Journal, lol.

President Donald Trump has signed a bill to rewrite parts of Dodd-Frank, marking one of the most significant overhauls of financial industry rules in nearly a decade.

I get that the intent was primarily to no longer hurt smaller banks and credit unions. I suspect the Banking Journal's spin regarding the presumed benefits for banking customers is, however, mostly just spin, and that consumers could well suffer as a result of this deregulation.
        Fixed it for you.

Dodd and Frank and Elizabeth Warren and their ilk sold you all a bill of goods on Banks, by essentially saying one size fits all and all were responsible for the crisis. That's a line of BS that is akin to saying all gun owners are the cause of school violence. Or anyone who drinks alcohol is responsible for drunk driving deaths. Considering small and mid-sized banks provide credit to consumers and small and mid-size business, which is where many of the new jobs are created, seems to me a liberal would embrace this. But, whelp, guess I'm wrong.

BTW. Did you notice that several of the sponsors of the bill were Democrats?

A community bank has historically provided credit to infividuals and businesses that don’t fit the comfortably into the square peg square hole mechanized lending of big banks, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, etc. We also rarely securitize our loans and as such if we take higher risks, they are on our balance, not passed off the GSEs and unwitting investors. Although it is the general belief of the public, Consumers don’t think pay the price of Bank failures because Banks fund the Deposit insurance fund of the FDIC based on size and overall regulatory risk ratings from exams. Sure you could try to make a case that shoplifters cause store to increase prices to cover losses, and conflate that to banks, but you’d be wrong. Pricing is competitive and driven by market conditions and has no impact from the remnants of the crisis.
        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-23-2018, 04:19 PM.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I pretty much agree with this. Have never read anything on Breitbart or DailyKos, and am increasingly skeptical of Huff Post. I only read Ben Shapiro on Daily Wire. I also signed up for Flip Side, which is a good daily non-partisan, email that gives both the right and left media's coverage and perspective on a particular issue. Today's was on Sanctions on Iran.
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            I guess I can see the comparison of Breitbart to HPost. I've never checked out dailywire.com, will have to put it on my reading list. I was just a bit disappointed that the right doesnt have a website like Vox. Its either right leaning moderate or bomb throwing and I see Vox somewhere between those two - left leaning moderate and bomb throwing DailyKos.
            On a toothier level you get National Review vs New Republic. I think that academia supplies an audience for Vox and the right does not possess much in the demographic.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
              I pretty much agree with this. Have never read anything on Breitbart or DailyKos, and am increasingly skeptical of Huff Post. I only read Ben Shapiro on Daily Wire. I also signed up for Flip Side, which is a good daily non-partisan, email that gives both the right and left media's coverage and perspective on a particular issue. Today's was on Sanctions on Iran.
              Ben Shapiro inspires anti-Islamic domestic terror, and is a trash person. B-Fly, Bernie, other Ben Shapiro readers... what do you think of this clip? Seems pretty blatant that he inspired this terrorist attack with his fear-mongering. I would never contribute to his page views.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PFtSPcfMGNk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                Ben Shapiro inspires anti-Islamic domestic terror, and is a trash person. B-Fly, Bernie, other Ben Shapiro readers... what do you think of this clip? Seems pretty blatant that he inspired this terrorist attack with his fear-mongering. I would never contribute to his page views.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PFtSPcfMGNk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                Liberals blame conservatives and conservatives blame liberals. Sun comes up, sun goes down and repeat.

Not to be dismissive, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that there was a lot more going on in this guys mind than Ben Shapiro. Shapiro is just one of many sources, on both sides of an issue, that I will listen to help me understand an issue or gain needed perspective. He has strong views, certainly, and can be controversial, but IMO he is not an extreme voice. If you're hard left, any right voice can be extreme, I suppose. And vice versa. I’m too lazy to find out which liberal voices may have “inspired” James Hodgkinson to shoot at GOP Congress people on a baseball diamond last year, but I don’t think I’d try to blame it on liberal pundits or websites, any way. These are cases of mental deficiency or illness or something going in their personal lives that trigger rage and anger.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                  Liberals blame conservatives and conservatives blame liberals. Sun comes up, sun goes down and repeat.

Not to be dismissive, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that there was a lot more going on in this guys mind than Ben Shapiro. Shapiro is just one of many sources, on both sides of an issue, that I will listen to help me understand an issue or gain needed perspective. He has strong views, certainly, and can be controversial, but IMO he is not an extreme voice. If you're hard left, any right voice can be extreme, I suppose. And vice versa. I’m too lazy to find out which liberal voices may have “inspired” James Hodgkinson to shoot at GOP Congress people on a baseball diamond last year, but I don’t think I’d try to blame it on liberal pundits or websites, any way. These are cases of mental deficiency or illness or something going in their personal lives that trigger rage and anger.
                  You think he's been triggered by "something in his personal life" and yet the video shows that the thing in his personal life was his extreme fear of Muslims, brought on by the fearmongering of Ben Shapiro. It was direct inspiration, even after the murders he seems resolute in his view that Muslims are a danger, he was doing the murders to protect his family.

People are inspired to commit heinous actions by all kinds of things. I just wish that people cared about or noticed the influence of the alt-right, rather than calling it partisan politics, or "fringe media". It's terrifying that Shapiro has become a mainstream conservative voice, because of examples such as this video.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

Law school and my work as a law clerk and a litigator taught me that the best way to be a strong advocate is to deeply understand the best and most effective arguments of your adversary in any matter and be prepared to engage with and address those points. I agree that Shapiro gets pretty extreme on Jewish-Muslim/Arab-Israeli matters. Overall, however, I think he presents strong and effective arguments on the issues, so as someone who is generally advocating from a liberal perspective, I think it's worthwhile to read his stuff. I also don't think a liberal effort to keep his page views down would be impactful in any real way.

Comment

• The summit with N. Korea has been canceled. Having Bolton and then Pence bringing up how the US wanted N. Korea to follow the Libyan model of coming to the table only to be ousted and killed was just about the worst thing they could have done. I mean, talk about a mood killer. I can't think of a worse comparison to bring up in these circumstances given how desperate Un is to hold power and how fearful he is of what might happen to him if he cedes too much to the international community. What a debacle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        The summit with N. Korea has been canceled. Having Bolton and then Pence bringing up how the US wanted N. Korea to follow the Libyan model of coming to the table only to be ousted and killed was just about the worst thing they could have done. I mean, talk about a mood killer. I can't think of a worse comparison to bring up in these circumstances given how desperate Un is to hold power and how fearful he is of what might happen to him if he cedes too much to the international community. What a debacle.
                        Libya was a humanitarian intervention, it had nothing to do with regime change !
                        --------------------------------------
                        You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

The summit with N. Korea has been canceled. Having Bolton and then Pence bringing up how the US wanted N. Korea to follow the Libyan model of coming to the table only to be ousted and killed was just about the worst thing they could have done. I mean, talk about a mood killer. I can't think of a worse comparison to bring up in these circumstances given how desperate Un is to hold power and how fearful he is of what might happen to him if he cedes too much to the international community. What a debacle.
                          Was there ever any doubt that this summit was getting cancelled? Trump's handlers all thought it was a terrible idea, as he gets rolled every time he meets with foreign leaders face to face, and is extremely prone to flattery. In other words, foreign leaders know how to play him like a fiddle.

Backing out of it because of an insult to Mike Pence seems dubious at best.

I CANNOT wait until we have a real president again -- Republican or Democrat -- who don't find a need to turn everything into drama, like a high school girl.

Comment

B-b-bbut the coins!

Comment

I’m not sure many people were highly confident that the summit would even occur. In fact, others on the left were criticizing it for even potentially happening. I’m not sure it’s a debacle, either, as these things seemingly go this way often, just not as publicly. That’s the Trump factor. And, I don’t think the Libya model is as bad of a model to follow but I do agree that maybe that shouldn’t be held up as the plan at this point given what the ultimate result was to Qaddafi. Bolton was one of the architects of that plan in the Bush admin. Were it not for Arab Spring, which wasn’t specific to Libya, at least in the beginning, the plan worked and it really didn’t matter that he didn’t have nukes, but thankfully he didn’t. Obama joined European leaders in getting involved when Qaddafi started losing his mind and threatening to kill large numbers of his own people. Obama was right to get involved, but that taints the Libyan model.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• I think it will still happen, maybe at a later date.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X