This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    While campaigning, Trump said we needed to kill the families of terrorists. It looks like he is following through on that suggestion. In the first military raid of his administration, several noncombatants were killed in Yemen, many of them women and children, including an 8 year old girl, the daughter of an Al Qaeda leader who was killed 5 years ago. The girl's grandfather, Yemen's former agricultural minister, gave this account:

"My granddaughter was staying for a while with her mother, so when the attack came, they were sitting in the house, and a bullet struck her in her neck at 2:30 past midnight. Other children in the same house were killed," al-Awlaki said. He said the girl died two hours after being shot.

"They [the SEALs] entered another house and killed everybody in it, including all the women. They burned the house. There is an assumption there was a woman [in the house] from Saudi Arabia who was with al Qaeda. All we know is that she was a children's teacher."

If you want to be skeptical of that account, fine, but by the Pentagons own admission, many civilians were killed in the raid, including this little girl.

I realize Trump isn't the one on the ground executing this, and it seems like it went wrong from the start, but it is also hard to ignore that this is the first strike that he ordered/approved--it was not a hold over mission from the Obama administration. Maybe Trump pushed it to get something for the newspapers asap. Whatever the case, we just created more terrorist sentiment against us, and justifiably so in this case--every time we kill innocents in the name of a greater good, we are wrong to do so. And I realize this didn't start with Trump. We have done it before, and Obama was rightly vilified for sanctioning drone strikes that killed innocent people. I always feel disgusted when this happens, and this comes off as even more horrible and malicious given Trump's previous proclamation that we should kill the families of terrorists.

"Karen Greenberg, director of Fordham University's Center on National Security, said the girl's death will be a boon to al Qaeda propagandists.

"The perception will be that it's not enough to kill al-Awlaki — that the U.S. had to kill the entire family," she said."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...oaG?li=BBnb7Kz
    Why is this issue now, but it wasn't when the 8 year old girls brother was killed a few years ago during the Obama administration. I fucking tired myself out arguing about Obama killing innocent civilians but none of the Democrats on this board seemed to care (except for DMT, ElDiablo). I wonder what has changed. I think it is great that people now care about stuff like this, but wow... where have you guys been the last 8 years.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Why is this issue now, but it wasn't when the 8 year old girls brother was killed a few years ago during the Obama administration. I fucking tired myself out arguing about Obama killing innocent civilians but none of the Democrats on this board seemed to care (except for DMT, ElDiablo). I wonder what has changed. I think it is great that people now care about stuff like this, but wow... where have you guys been the last 8 years.
      I never used to come to the Sports Bar for fear of it tainting the fun I have talking baseball in the baseball forum. If you care enough, you can check my post log--no Sports Bar posts before the last year or so. I should probably go back to that.

But I have always been critical of this sort of thing to those I did discuss them with, and it deeply disappointed me that Obama sanctioned some of the things he did. It didn't start with Obama, of course, although the technology developed during his time with the drones to make it worse in many ways. But he isn't the first president to sanction actions that killed innocent people, and Trump won't be the last.

But no one has yet addressed the point I made about Trump's previous statements about killing innocent families of terrorists, and how those previous statements differentiate him from other presidents (and again, this wasn't invented by Obama) who at least seemed to grapple with the morality of such weighty decisions, and often seemed haunted by the results of them. Trump preceded his presidency being very flippant about the loss of innocent foreign lives, and there is no indication now that such loss has occurred on his watch that he cares in the slightest it has occurred. I believe that Trump being who is he, and talking as he has about Muslims, allows him to be the perfect pin up star for terrorist recruitment.

They, of course, demonize the US government regardless, but I think it is absurd not to see any difference at all in how Obama and others have approached such loss of life, and how Trump has preceded it with his family killing comments, and seems to follow it by ignoring it and instead getting in childish twitter beefs right around the time he must have found out about this. If you cynically want to suggest all the previous presidents never lost sleep over sending soldiers to die, or knowing they were part of the loss of innocent life, I can't argue on firm footing what would boil down to our opinions of the people who have held the office before Trump. But I don't think it is a subjective argument to suggest that Trump's inflammatory rhetoric and flippant manner exacerbate what are already abhorrent acts.

And getting back to what is admittedly a subjective argument, I think Trump is not only a narcissist, but a sociopath, and is the worst human being to serve as POTUS in my life time. I vehemently disagreed with W's policies, and the fall out of his decision to invade Iraq may very well be worse than all of Trump's failings combined, but I never doubted that W was a good man. I saw him as a very, very misguided man, who made wrong decisions, but I think he made those decisions believing they were right, and I think many of them weighed heavily on him. I believe he understood he had flaws, and he had doubts and fears and regrets, and he tried to do good, not just for his poll numbers, but because he wanted to do the right thing. He displayed compassion and empathy for others the extended beyond our borders with the significant aid he provided to many countries in Africa. He didn't have to do that; it didn't play to his base, and it didn't win over many Democrats. Trump, on the other hand, does not believe any of that. He believes he is infallible, and he believes we should only take care of our own, whatever that means, and I don't believe he'll ever shed one tear for any tragedies like this, especially when they involve Muslims.

Getting back to the difference between how my wife and I see the world, those last points I made about Trump make a huge difference to me. I know a dead child is a dead child to the parent who must endure that loss, and Obama's contrition or eloquent words of regret don't mean much to those who have had those losses, just as I know that W's sincere faith in the righteousness of his war gives no solace to the millions impacted by it. But for me, it does matter to know that I have a leader making tough calls and grappling with the morality of them. It matters to me to think that my president loses sleep over such matters. Trump, instead, loses sleep over his inauguration crowd size, and whatever slight someone might make about him on social media. I have seen no evidence to suggest he has any real empathy or compassion or humility or true charity of heart and spirit in him. He is a grotesque mockery of everything I believe is good about the USA, and if I were a Christian, I'd be deeply offended that he claims to be one. In short, while we can point to precedents for many of the things Trump does, to me, it will always be an apples to orange comparison. I don't believe we have ever had anyone like Trump as POTUS, and it is my sincerest hope we never, ever have anyone like him again in the position.

I am a Rogerian arguer at heart. I most often try to find common ground with others, and until Trump, I've generally been able to do that. I could understand, and in many cases respect, opposing political viewpoints before the phenomenon that was Trump. I sincerely assumed that what he represents was only a small part of the GOP. I believed that most Americans were pretty similar in their core beliefs, and really it was pundits and vocal extremists and both sides that incited most of the polarizing rhetoric in politics. I believed that until Trump won, and I had to realize that, at the very least, about half this country was willing to overlook what I consider unforgivable flaws of character to vote for such a person, and not just in opposition to an overly demonized HRC, but over a massive field of other GOP candidates. I'm still reeling from that reality.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-01-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I never used to come to the Sports Bar for fear of it tainting the fun I have talking baseball in the baseball forum. If you care enough, you can check my post log--no Sports Bar posts before the last year or so. I should probably go back to that.

But I have always been critical of this sort of thing to those I did discuss them with, and it deeply disappointed me that Obama sanctioned some of the things he did. It didn't start with Obama, of course, although the technology developed during his time with the drones to make it worse in many ways. But he isn't the first president to sanction actions that killed innocent people, and Trump won't be the last.

But no one has yet addressed the point I made about Trump's previous statements about killing innocent families of terrorists, and how those previous statements differentiate him from other presidents (and again, this wasn't invented by Obama) who at least seemed to grapple with the morality of such weighty decisions, and often seemed haunted by the results of them. Trump preceded his presidency being very flippant about the loss of innocent foreign lives, and there is no indication now that such loss has occurred on his watch that he cares in the slightest it has occurred. I believe that Trump being who is he, and talking as he has about Muslims, allows him to be the perfect pin up star for terrorist recruitment.

They, of course, demonize the US government regardless, but I think it is absurd not to see any difference at all in how Obama and others have approached such loss of life, and how Trump has preceded it with his family killing comments, and seems to follow it by ignoring it and instead getting in childish twitter beefs right around the time he must have found out about this. If you cynically want to suggest all the previous presidents never lost sleep over sending soldiers to die, or knowing they were part of the loss of innocent life, I can't argue on firm footing what would boil down to our opinions of the people who have held the office before Trump. But I don't think it is a subjective argument to suggest that Trump's inflammatory rhetoric and flippant manner exacerbate what are already abhorrent acts.

And getting back to what is admittedly a subjective argument, I think Trump is not only a narcissist, but a sociopath, and is the worst human being to serve as POTUS in my life time. I vehemently disagreed with W's policies, and the fall out of his decision to invade Iraq may very well be worse than all of Trump's failing combined, but I never doubted that W was a good man. I saw him as a very, very misguided man, who made wrong decisions, but I think he made those decisions believing they were right, and I think many of them weighed heavily on him. I believe he understood he had flaws, and he had doubts and fears and regrets, and he tried to do good, not just for his poll numbers, but because he wanted to do the right thing. He displayed compassion and empathy for others the extended beyond our borders with the significant aid he provided to many countries in Africa. He didn't have to do that; it didn't play to his base, and it didn't win over many Democrats. Trump, on the other hand, does not believe any of that. He believes he is infallible, and he believes we should only take care of our own, whatever that means, and I don't believe he'll ever shed one tear for any tragedies like this, especially when they involve Muslims.

Getting back to the difference between how my wife and I see the world, those last points I made about Trump make a huge difference to me. I know a dead child is a dead child to the parent who must endure that loss, and Obama's contrition or eloquent words of regret don't mean much to those who have had those losses, just as I know that W's sincere faith in the righteousness of his war gives no solace to the millions impacted by it. But for me, it does matter to know that I have a leader making tough calls and grappling with the morality of them. It matters to me to think that my president loses sleep over such matters. Trump, instead, loses sleep over his inauguration crowd size, and whatever slight someone might make about him on social media. I have seen no evidence to suggest he has any real empathy or compassion or humility or true charity of heart and spirit in him. He is a grotesque mockery of everything I believe is good about the USA, and if I were a Christian, I'd be deeply offended that he claims to be one. In short, while we can point to precedents for many of the things Trump does, to me, it will always be an apples to orange comparison. I don't believe we have ever had anyone like Trump as POTUS, and it is my sincerest hope we never, ever have anyone like him again in the position.

I am a Rogerian arguer at heart. I most often try to find common ground with others, and until Trump, I've generally been able to do that. I could understand, and in many cases respect, opposing political viewpoints before the phenomenon that was Trump. I sincerely assumed that what he represents was only a small part of the GOP. I believed that most Americans were pretty similar in their core beliefs, and really it was pundits and vocal extremists and both sides that incited most of the polarizing rhetoric in politics. I believed that until Trump won, and I had to realize that, at the very least, about half this country was willing to overlook what I consider unforgivable flaws of character to vote for such a person. I'm still reeling from that reality.
        I wasn't trying to call you put specifically, it was more an observation in a general sense. Democrats seem to care about innocent deaths a lot more when there is a republican in office.

The thoughtfulness of Obama in situations like this was one of the things that infuriated me the most. It seemed like he knew it was wrong yet wouldn't do anything to stop it. So how can i expect a trump to do any better ? The nice words just don't do anything for me.

I do appreciate the thoughtful response
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          Hallowed ground wasn't directed at you or anyone on this Board in particular, it's just a general commentary on Internet anonymity wherein commenters have such courage to say things they'd never say to another's face that they become "big league" or is it "bigly" asshats. I suppose we're all guilty of that on occasion. And with that I'm going to hang up and listen again for a while.
          I absolutely would say anything that I post here directly to your face, or to anyone else for that matter. It's a matter of standing up for what you believe, regardless of the opposition from people and/or institutions.

As far as consistency goes between Presidency's, I deplored what Obama did with civilian deaths overseas as well. Did I call him out every time it happened, no. So what makes Trump different? It's the 1st time someone died on his watch, on a mission that he ordered, and that makes a difference. To continue to engage in playground behavior while incredibly serious event are happening every day, life changing events for millions, is simply shocking. And that's what I'm responding to.

You may not have liked Obama, you may have hated him, but be brought a seriousness to the job that is required. Trump still acts like it's a TV show, and it's all for ratings, he's got to stop watching TV, he's got to stop the petty fights, he's got to START acting Presidential in every way. And maybe then, he can be judged solely on the merits of his actions.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
            Hey, don't go anywhere. Reasonable voices are always needed around here.

Or so it seems.
            Didn't mean I was going away, I meant I posted something like 20 times yesterday. I need to pace myself. I'm all for spirited debate and all but I don't want to become one of the internet asshats by calling people out. It took me less than a day to do that so I'll stick around, get the temperature of the room and learn.
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              You can add me to the list.

Comment

• Anyone read David Frum's piece in the Atlantic? It is truly astounding and terrifying that the guy who came up with the phrase 'Axis of Evil' for George W. Bush also wrote this. This one is keeping me up at night.

The preconditions are present in the U.S. today. Here’s the playbook Donald Trump could use to set the country down a path toward illiberalism.

It is a very long read but well worth it and this is the conclusion (emphasis added).

"Those citizens who fantasize about defying tyranny from within fortified compounds have never understood how liberty is actually threatened in a modern bureaucratic state: not by diktat and violence, but by the slow, demoralizing process of corruption and deceit. And the way that liberty must be defended is not with amateur firearms, but with an unwearying insistence upon the honesty, integrity, and professionalism of American institutions and those who lead them. We are living through the most dangerous challenge to the free government of the United States that anyone alive has encountered. What happens next is up to you and me. Don’t be afraid. This moment of danger can also be your finest hour as a citizen and an American."

Those of you who want to criticize us lefties for being overly alarmist, how do you explain this?
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Anyone read David Frum's piece in the Atlantic? It is truly astounding and terrifying that the guy who came up with the phrase 'Axis of Evil' for George W. Bush also wrote this. This one is keeping me up at night.

The preconditions are present in the U.S. today. Here’s the playbook Donald Trump could use to set the country down a path toward illiberalism.

It is a very long read but well worth it and this is the conclusion (emphasis added).

"Those citizens who fantasize about defying tyranny from within fortified compounds have never understood how liberty is actually threatened in a modern bureaucratic state: not by diktat and violence, but by the slow, demoralizing process of corruption and deceit. And the way that liberty must be defended is not with amateur firearms, but with an unwearying insistence upon the honesty, integrity, and professionalism of American institutions and those who lead them. We are living through the most dangerous challenge to the free government of the United States that anyone alive has encountered. What happens next is up to you and me. Don’t be afraid. This moment of danger can also be your finest hour as a citizen and an American."

Those of you who want to criticize us lefties for being overly alarmist, how do you explain this?
                  And that's the key, stand up, be counted, and resist things that you know in your heart are wrong.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

• “We are living through the most dangerous challenge to the free government of the United States that anyone alive has encountered.”

So I am probably going to take some heat for this:

The most dangerous challenge we face began well before Trump took office. Trump is the reaction - whether you want to admit it or not - to the concern that a specific group of people refuse to assimilate into our culture. Yes, I am talking about the influx of people preferring to follow Islamic law over the laws of the US - hoping that Sharia will become the ruling law.
                    Trump is the reaction to seeing what has been happening in Sweden, Germany and England - with "No Go" zones for police. Countries allowing Sharia courts - and the mistreatment of women, homosexuals in those communities. Rape rates in Sweden and Germany, committed by Islamic men is off the charts. The Mayor of London has banned underwear adds from subways and buses - and attends segregated meetings where women must stand in the back.

Trump is the reaction millions of ILLEGAL immigrants, living off the government.

Trump is the reaction to the tribalization of identity politics and the last 8 years of racial stress caused by the meticulous way Obama and his administration focused more on white on black violence or police on black violence - rather than attacking the highest cause of murder and violence in the black community - black on black violence.

Trump is the reaction to hundreds of thousands people who have come out of college with more debt than they can handle because there are not jobs for them.

Trump is the reaction to an understanding that our educational system and Common Core are not preparing our children for life outside of school.

Trump is the reaction to many things that went wrong during Obama's 8 year administration parsing each word for fear of offending some social class rather than just speaking plain English and calling things as they are.

Trump is the reaction to (you fill in the blank).

I didnt vote for him. I didnt want him. I will still contend that if the Dems had run anyone else other than HRC - we would not be in the world we are today. So people can blame the "deplorables" that voted Trump, but in actuality its the fault of the DNC and there blind allegiance to TeamClinton - who has likely been the largest benefactor of foreign donations than anyone ever.

There is plenty of blame to go around - and as one that didnt vote for Trump or the pos that the DNC ran (who I dont think was much better). I will hope the country holds together for the next 4 years and maybe just maybe we can find voice that comes to unite the country for positive.
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                      “We are living through the most dangerous challenge to the free government of the United States that anyone alive has encountered.”

The most dangerous challenge we face began well before Trump took office. Trump is the reaction - whether you want to admit it or not - to the concern that a specific group of people refuse to assimilate into our culture. Yes, I am talking about the influx of people preferring to follow Islamic law over the laws of the US - hoping that Sharia will become the ruling law.
                      Trump is the reaction to seeing what has been happening in Sweden, Germany and England - with "No Go" zones for police. Countries allowing Sharia courts - and the mistreatment of women, homosexuals in those communities. Rape rates in Sweden and Germany, committed by Islamic men is off the charts. The Mayor of London has banned underwear adds from subways and buses - and attends segregated meetings where women must stand in the back.

Trump is the reaction millions of ILLEGAL immigrants, living off the government.

Trump is the reaction to the tribalization of identity politics and the last 8 years of racial stress caused by the meticulous way Obama and his administration focused more on white on black violence or police on black violence - rather than attacking the highest cause of murder and violence in the black community - black on black violence.

Trump is the reaction to hundreds of thousands people who have come out of college with more debt than they can handle because there are not jobs for them.

Trump is the reaction to an understanding that our educational system and Common Core are not preparing our children for life outside of school.

Trump is the reaction to many things that went wrong during Obama's 8 year administration parsing each word for fear of offending some social class rather than just speaking plain English and calling things as they are.

I didnt vote for him. I didnt want him. I will still contend that if the Dems had run anyone else other than HRC - we would not be in the world we are today. So people can blame the "deplorables" that voted Trump, but in actuality its the fault of the DNC and there blind allegiance to TeamClinton - who has likely been the largest benefactor of foreign donations than anyone ever.

There is plenty of blame to go around - and as one that didnt vote for Trump or the pos that the DNC ran (who I dont think was much better). I will hope the country holds together for the next 4 years and maybe just maybe we can find voice that comes to unite the country for positive.
                      LOL. Is this you doing another character? "Believes Everything He Hears On Fox News" Guy?
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        LOL. Is this you doing another character? "Believes Everything He Hears On Fox News" Guy?
                        My initial thoughts, also.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                          “We are living through the most dangerous challenge to the free government of the United States that anyone alive has encountered.”

I have to wonder where this information comes from.

Assimilation is a tough issue. Many ethnic groups which have come to America, especially during the late 18th and early 19th Centuries, tended to stick to themselves. They had their own customs and "laws". Some of those groups still have their own customs and laws, which they hold to be sacred.

Welfare? Undocumented immigrants get schooling and emergency care. That's all. Whoever told you different is pulling your leg. They don't qualify, period. But, they pay taxes. Federal withholding, Social Security, the whole bit. They pay into a system they won't participate in.

If race relations got worse under Obama, it's because a massive number of people in this country freaked out at the idea of a black president. I saw and heard immediately people in my circle say and do things I never heard before. As for black-on-black violence, we were concentrating on that plenty before. What we have never concentrated on was cop-on-black violence. It was time, but it took a black president to bring attention to it. And before someone says that Obama brought about violence against police, look a little bit at history. In the 70s, there were years when violence against police was three times what it is today.

College debt/jobs? There are about three or four different issues there. So how does he help? Running a scam "university"? Personally sending jobs overseas? Shorting the small-business contractors who worked on his projects? I don't know of anything he has said that would make college cheaper. That was Bernie's gig, God bless him. Trump says he wants to create jobs, but the only idea he seems to have so far is to take credit for what other people did before he was elected. He hasn't personally created jobs. He has created "work", as in short-time gigs while building hotels and apartment buildings, etc. It is true that the Trump Organization employs about 24,000 people, but that isn't a huge deal for somebody who claims he is worth ten billion. So, you tell me. Where are the jobs coming from?

Common Core? You realize that is not a federal program? Trump, Congress, the Supreme Court and the 101st Airborne could all get together tonight and not do away with it. States adopted it. States administer it. They did so and do so voluntarily. They don't have to do so. They can stop whenever they want to. Nobody has a gun to their heads. It is a GOP boogeyman.

In my experience, most of the people who use the term "political correctness" are looking for an excuse to be an a**hole. We're talking about a backlash, a "reaction" if you will, to a wave of incivility in public discourse which was, in my opinion, popularized by talk radio in the 80s and early 90s. People finally grew so tired of the Limbaugh-esque abuse that boundaries were set. I think some boundaries are appropriate. There should be some manner of civility in public discourse. Otherwise, we become just a bunch of animals screeching at each other.

Trump was a reaction to all the worst in us.
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            I agree with every word of this. We should insist on honesty, integrity, and professionalism from every politician. In both parties. No matter which one happens to be in charge at any given time.

When people give their team a pass on honesty, integrity, and professionalism, it rings a bit hollow when they start honking about the other team's lack of on honesty, integrity, and professionalism. Integrity demands consistency.

If you stood silently by while the last president wrote policy via executive orders, just because you happened to agree with those policies, then how can you credibly argue that the current president is constitutionally wrong to write policy via executive orders? It was/is wrong for either president to write policy via executive orders. That's not creating a false equivalency. That's being intellectually consistent. Good/ smart/ decent presidents and their supporters must understand that the constitutionally questionable political gambits they create and legitimize for themselves now can also be used by future presidents who may not be as good, smart, and decent.

We should absolutely be vigilant about this president and his administration. There is real potential for trouble. But I believe in smart, effective vigilance. Freaking about his every childish tweet and careless off-the-cuff comment now diminishes the power of more legitimate and important criticisms later. When I speak out against this president, his misguided policies, and his constitutionally questionable political gambits, I want my words to mean something to the people who support him, and to the people in the middle who are unsure about what he's doing. They're the ones I need to convince when the sh!t really hits the fan and it's time to stand up and stop whatever he's doing.
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Tillerson confirmed 56-43. Manchin came along as expected because he has an exceptionally tough race in a red state coming up. Haven't seen who else from the
                              Dems voted yes
                              * Heitkamp, Warner and King (I-ME) were the others
                              Last edited by nots; 02-01-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Freaking about his every childish tweet and careless off-the-cuff comment now diminishes the power of more legitimate and important criticisms later. When I speak out against this president, his misguided policies, and his constitutionally questionable political gambits, I want my words to mean something to the people who support him, and to the people in the middle who are unsure about what he's doing. They're the ones I need to convince when the sh!t really hits the fan and it's time to stand up and stop whatever he's doing.
                                But people aren't freaking about his tweets, we're freaking because he has a white nationalist as his closest advisor who just crafted what amounts to an attempt to ban Muslims from entering our country. Handcuffing 5-year-olds and doubling down by saying it was warranted? Check. Detaining legal immigrants from countries not even on his list? (Jordanian student in TX). Check. Disregarding the judicial branch? Check. Demonizing the media? Check. We can't be worried about fatigue because this administration is reckless and extreme in both their policies and their methods.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X