This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
    Yes, of course it could happen if the Democrats take over. But I don't think the Democrats actually mind him in office to be honest. He's GREAT for Democratic fundraising, and has a harder time building a consensus on issues (even tax reform which passed was not an easy sell). Pence might have an easier time building a consensus amongst the Republicans as a more polished politician, even if he's further to the right than Trump.
    That is a good point, one that I think is probably true, and only further disenchants me with politics and politicians. It does make sense that Trump as a political adversary is probably better for Dems in many ways than Pence. Still, if they do gain Congress, they will face tremendous pressure from their base to push for impeachment.

Comment

• if Trump keeps saying he doesn't like things about the Iran nuclear deal, why isn't anyone asking him 'what specific things he doesn't like about it'? cause you know he doesn't know anything about it. ..if you asked Sanders she'd say, you have to ask the president. or we haven't had a discussion about it.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Your ability to see a light at the end of this sewage pipe is somewhat inspiring, but for right now, I'll paraphrase your Warren Ellis sig quote--this shitty present continues to offend me.
          Man, I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Could NOT have been more wrong about the empty vessels that comprise the GOP these days. After a few days of pretending that they just didn't hear the shithole comment clearly, some are now clearly lying about Trump not saying it. If they clearly didn't hear him say it, they would have said so right away. But instead, pressure from the WH and the party now makes people in the room reverse course, and other pols to simply try to spin it.

They're currently building a special level of Hell to house these craven hypocrites...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Man, I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Could NOT have been more wrong about the empty vessels that comprise the GOP these days. After a few days of pretending that they just didn't hear the shithole comment clearly, some are now clearly lying about Trump not saying it. If they clearly didn't hear him say it, they would have said so right away. But instead, pressure from the WH and the party now makes people in the room reverse course, and other pols to simply try to spin it.

They're currently building a special level of Hell to house these craven hypocrites...
            I'd be willing to wager that they are able to sleep at night because of the very careful way they are defending him. Absolutely no one in the room, including Trump, has suggested he did not express that sentiment. All they are saying is that he did not say that exact phrase, word for word. I'm frustrated by the media not insisting on asking to those in the room what exact phrasing they do remember, because they would hedge and weasel. Maybe he listed Africa before Haiti. Maybe he said shitholes plural, or whatever. They all got together and decided a comma was out of place in the wording being reported, and hung their hats on that to defend him in a careful way that allows them some wiggle room if it turns out they were recorded or something. Maybe there was a word out of place, but does that really matter?

Of course not, and their defense of it is the most politician of defenses, and only confirms for me just how craven and sycophantic they all are. I hope a reckoning is coming in the grand old party, maybe even a splintering into two parties, with those any integrity breaking off, but I don't hold out a lot of hope.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-14-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I'd be willing to wager that they are able to sleep at night because of the very careful way they are defending him. Absolutely no one in the room, including Trump, has suggested he did not express that sentiment. All they are saying is that he did not say that exact phrase, word for word. I'm frustrated by the media not insisting on asking to those in the room what exact phrasing they do remember, because they would hedge and weasel. Maybe he listed Africa before Haiti. Maybe he said shitholes plural, or whatever. They all got together and decided a comma was out of place in the wording being reported, and hung their hats on that to defend him in a careful way that allows them some wiggle room if it turns out they were recorded or something. Maybe there was a word out of place, but does that really matter?

Of course not, and their defense of it is the most politician of defenses, and only confirms for me just how craven and sycophantic they all are. I hope a reckoning is coming in the grand old party, maybe even a splintering into two parties, with those any integrity breaking off, but I don't hold out a lot of hope.
              Tom Cotton had a potentially big future in the GOP, which is now in jeopardy. He will always be dogged by the 'shithole' question. Why would he cover for this president now?
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Sen. Flake is expected to make a blistering anti-Trump speech on Wednesday, and former SecDef Hagel (a Republican) said Trump is an “embarrassment.”

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Sen. Flake is expected to make a blistering anti-Trump speech on Wednesday, and former SecDef Hagel (a Republican) said Trump is an “embarrassment.”
                  His "blistering speech" would have had a lot more effect if he would have had the guts to vote against the Tax bill. Instead he chooses to toss insults from a safe distance, while not jeopardizing any potential GOP money in the future.

And now Joe Arpaio is running for his seat...don't think that he can't win.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                    Tom Cotton had a potentially big future in the GOP, which is now in jeopardy. He will always be dogged by the 'shithole' question. Why would he cover for this president now?
                    Yes! Exactly. Completely disappointed in Cotton.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• as if you would need to guess
                      what did Trump do on MLK day 2018?
                      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c0b09b38f71e

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        His "blistering speech" would have had a lot more effect if he would have had the guts to vote against the Tax bill. Instead he chooses to toss insults from a safe distance, while not jeopardizing any potential GOP money in the future.

And now Joe Arpaio is running for his seat...don't think that he can't win.
                        Arpaio couldn't win Maricopa county, he's not going to win statewide.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Arpaio couldn't win Maricopa county, he's not going to win statewide.
                          You'd know better than I do, living in the area, but I never underestimate these assholes.

On a different issue, Lindsey Graham politely calls Cotton and Purdue liars.

COLUMBIA — After taking the weekend to reflect on a combative White House meeting in which President Donald Trump reportedly referred to African countries as "shithole countries," U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham said Monday he is even more determined to reach an immigration deal with hardliners in his own party.

In his most extensive comments yet about Thursday's explosive Oval Office meeting, the Seneca Republican again declined to confirm whether Trump specifically used the term "shithole" to describe the countries.

But, in what appeared to be a direct jab at Sens. Tom Cotton and David Perdue, Graham said, "My memory hasn't evolved. I know what was said and I know what I said." Sen. Tim Scott, R-North Charleston, said Friday that Graham told him media reports of what Trump said were “basically accurate."

After initially saying they could not recall what the president said, Perdue of Georgia and Cotton of Arkansas said Sunday that Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat who said he heard the "shithole countries" comment, was misrepresenting Trump's remarks. They also contradicted Graham, who has not denied reports about Trump's comment.
                          COLUMBIA — After taking the weekend to reflect on a combative White House meeting in which President Donald Trump reportedly referred to African countries as "shithole countries," U.S. Sen. Lindsey

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Senator Cory Booker slams DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen after she claims not to recall Trump using the word "shithole"...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• From the “you gotta be shitting me department”: The two GOP senators who stood up for Trump claiming they did not hear him say “shithole countries” actually heard him say “shithouse countries.” But they put the country on edge, and put their reps, and maybe their careers, on the line to defend him over that tiny miniscule minutiae.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                From the “you gotta be shitting me department”: The two GOP senators who stood up for Trump claiming they did not hear him say “shithole countries” actually heard him say “shithouse countries.” But they put the country on edge, and put their reps, and maybe their careers, on the line to defend him over that tiny miniscule minutiae.
                                As I predicted, they were seeing if they could get away with defending him on some small variation of phrasing they thought would be plausible to constituents to accept so they would not be seen as outright liars if the truth got out. Craven sycophants insulting people's intelligence by sidestepping the actual issue of whether Trump expressed the sentiment. As if shithouse vs shithole changes the meaning and sentiments of his remarks. Pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                                X