This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
    i dont use twitter at all. dont get the point, is there a channel that you pick various voices to hear? but the president uses it every day, and those mumblings of a madman are forever part of the public record, and have the weight of the highest office behind them. and we listen, not because we are fans, or wanna be critics, certainly not with the idea that a really brilliant guy is going to be enlightening or motivating for us. this is trump. he has shown us who he is from the start, it is the real voice of his thoughts, not the prepped speeches he struggles through. this is him in his element. and we all marvel and are aghast like the few surviving adults on that episode of twilight zone with the all powerful child who controls life and death.
    Twitter is the fastest way to dislike someone you thought you might like.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Twitter is the fastest way to dislike someone you thought you might like.
      no, that's Facebook.
      your relatives can't own your Twitter feed of choice
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• when GW was in office his first veto was CHIP. which then cost 5 billion a year. i mean there was controversy, i think democrats were trying to up the limit on who was considered poor. a family of 4 in NJ vs a family in Louisiana. .. but it was his first veto as he said "nope, poor kids first" and vetoed it.

i expect nothing less from the republicans this time.

Comment

• Twitter - formerly 140 characters to make a succinct nuanced point..... Yeah that makes sense. Hell we have a hard time getting succinct nuanced positions explained in 300 pages.

Again the old adage applies - even bad publicity is good publicity. This is another reason Trump won the election.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            Twitter - formerly 140 characters to make a succinct nuanced point..... Yeah that makes sense.
            ahhhh, you're expecting something that it's not designed for; that doesn't mean it doesn't have its use though.

I read an interesting piece on bbc recently about the current state of the research into the origin of life. It was super long & very detailed - that's not anything you're going to read directly on twitter ... although I was directed to the site thanks to a tweet from somebody I follow.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I understand that you can find gems out there or direction to more in depth information. In my mind though the format lends to sloppy discussion and trolling.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• About that tax bill- so Bank of American just gave out special $1,000 bonuses to all employees because of the change. Others are doing similar. While that doesn’t help the poor and probably has no bearing on the rich it certainly helped s the middle class employee of these companies.
                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                  About that tax bill- so Bank of American just gave out special $1,000 bonuses to all employees because of the change. Others are doing similar. While that doesn’t help the poor and probably has no bearing on the rich it certainly helped s the middle class employee of these companies.
                  Yes, very nice gestures by companies who just experienced the biggest overnight windfall in their existence.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Yes, very nice gestures by companies who just experienced the biggest overnight windfall in their existence.
                    And? Like that’s a bad thing! Sharing even a little with your employees is pretty great, IMHO. The tax change was signed into Law today. Would it not make sense to give it a few days or, who knows, maybe even a year to see what the results are? When the Dems take control of both houses in 2018, they’ll fix their politically expedient issues. Or spend years trying to over turn it! It’s all been done before. Are there issues of course. There were problems with ACA when it first passed too! Major legislation of this scope is never prefect, but I’m willing to give it a chance.
                    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      ahhhh, you're expecting something that it's not designed for; that doesn't mean it doesn't have its use though.

I read an interesting piece on bbc recently about the current state of the research into the origin of life. It was super long & very detailed - that's not anything you're going to read directly on twitter ... although I was directed to the site thanks to a tweet from somebody I follow.
                      Read this ... it will blow your mind. I don't often recommend books, but this was a massive eye opener.

THE VITAL QUESTION, by Nick Lane

Wiki Link

Comment

• People's distain for the tax cut is not partisan, my ass! The percentage is debatable, but both parties once supported this cut.

Both candidates in the 2012 presidential election ran on a corporate tax cut.

Five years later, a unified Republican government made that a reality, and a bipartisan idea has turned into a deeply partisan brawl.

President Donald Trump signed the 21% corporate tax rate into law Friday and Democrats are talking about which pieces of the bill they will keep and which they will toss aside should they assume power.

If there are problems with the law, Republicans are unlikely to have willing partners in Democrats to fix it, in the same way Republicans have stood against making many repairs to the Affordable Care Act.

The political backdrop to the tax overhaul is a warning sign. The new tax system encoded by Republicans is fragile. There are many challenges on the horizon that are likely to warrant changing the law—expiring provisions, tax competition from other countries, the risk of revenue shortfalls, the potential for flaws in the law itself that might be gamed by households or businesses.

As has been the case with the ACA, addressing them won’t be easy.

“It’s like training for a marathon. And you finally run a marathon,” said Jon Traub, a former Republican staff director at the House Ways and Means Committee who is now a managing principal at Deloitte LLP. “You can’t go back the next day and run another marathon.”.
                        President Barack Obama joined in 2012, seeking a 28% rate. His rival that year, Mitt Romney, pushed for 25%. At times, a deal looked possible, whether between Mr. Obama and then-House Speaker John Boehner or between Mr. Camp and then- Sen. Max Baucus (D., Mont.).

By the time Mr. Camp released his plan in February 2014, GOP leadership showed little inclination to work with Mr. Obama on a compromise and gave Mr. Camp little support.
                        https://www.wsj.com/articles/analysis-how-consensus-for-corporate-rate-cut-turned-into-partisan-tax-brawl-1513959787

Ronald Reagan

Comment

as Bernie said, and? Whats your point?

Democrats 2018 slogan: "We'll take back the money republicans put in your pocket!"
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post

Democrats 2018 slogan: "We'll take back the money republicans put in your pocket!"
                            Man, you right wingers get so touchy sometimes!

Yes, it's a VERY NICE GESTURE.

Comment

Man, you right wingers get so touchy sometimes!

Yes, it's a VERY NICE GESTURE.
                              I see what you did there. No one ever said I was quick. My mind wasn’t built for speed, it was built for distance!! Whatever that means.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post

I agree with this post. Unless it’s a conflict to agree with a post that agrees with your post. Then I would have to abstain from agreeing with this post, but I’d do so while nodding my head in favor of it anyway.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X