This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
    In case you guys couldn't tell, I'm Jewish. I know, big surprise.

I also have mixed feelings about it. I mean, we are taught from a young age about the importance of Jerusalem and its holiness and all that jazz. Hell, at Passover, we even talk about "Next year in Jerusalem." So, it's nice to see in that respect.

That being said, it just seems unnecessarily provocative. The region is always a powder keg, but this doesn't seem to help matters. And I'm not sure what, other than fulfilling a campaign promise, was really gained by the announcement. If people are going to die over this announcement and US interests are not gained in any meaningful capacity, I guess I just don't know what the purpose was right now.

In short, I don't hate the announcement (unlike many other things Trump does), but I also don't know what purpose it served at this juncture.
    This is exactly the type of a-political response I was hoping for. And I’m sorry I didn’t see it until now. I’m glad someone of Jewish faith and background feels conflicted too. It gives me some comfort in my lack of understanding of the implications this announcement. Thanks for the reasoned response UMjewman.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
      You give Trump way too much credit by calling it a feud. At best it is a continual temper tantrum by the most insecure and narcissistic individual ever to reside in the White House.
      You give him too little. He is effectively controlling the coverage. There is none left to shine lights on his surrogate's doings in the various departments or on the Democrat's agenda. It has been that way since he declared in 2016.

I give you narcissistic, but he uses it as a smokescreen. There is no way Bush's Sec State could have done what Tillerson has done or his EPA director could have done what Pruitt has done. Compare ANWAR 2002 to ANWAR 2017. Millions of square miles of federal land are being opened to mineral exploitation with barely a peep. You don't have to like the guy to recognize he's good at this.

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      very few things he did accomplished much good. I'll go on record and say his net neutrality rules were good. Cant think of much else.
      That sad fact will be his epitaph. His only major law, ACA, was a massive failure. I had such high hopes in 2008.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        very few things he did accomplished much good. I'll go on record and say his net neutrality rules were good. Cant think of much else.
        I'm not as politically informed as most of you. Do none of these count as good?

(Also check out the main article, The Incomplete Greatness of Barack Obama, and the issue’s Editor’s Note.) 1. Passed Health Care Reform: After five presidents over a century failed to create universal health insurance, signed the Affordable Care Act (2010). It will cover 32 million uninsured Americans beginning in 2014 and mandates a suite of […]
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazi...complishments/
          Not to hardcore Republicans they don't!

Comment

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazi...complishments/
            well if you read a democrat magazine of course they will think Obama accomplished great things! I'm surprised they stopped at 50!
            Last edited by cardboardbox; 12-12-2017, 12:42 PM.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• I wonder what Rot Moore's attorney thinks of the new embassy idea - watch near the end

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/11/politi...ate/index.html

last night Rachel Maddow couldnt even begin to explain this comment

Comment

well if you read a democrat magazine of course they will think Obama accomplished great things! I'm surprised they stopped at 50!
                You didnt answer my question. Do you think any of those are "good"?
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I think it was good that Obama (and the Fed) kept the global financial system from collapsing
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I'd bet if you went through that list with an open mind, you'd agree he did at least a few more good things than defend net neutrality.

Conversely, when I look through the list, I see a few items I wouldn't list as great accomplishments in the long run, although I think in almost all cases, they were motivated by a sincere desire to!do the right thing.

Comment

I think the democrat who wrote the list makes them sound better than they are. I'd like to hear the republican response to each of those 50 and then try to decide the truth for myself. I admit that I dont know the details about quite a few things in there and there's also quite a few that I dont care about at all.

"25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court"

So written by democrats, for democrats. Thats fine, no problem with that, I just didnt realize that initially.
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I'd bet if you went through that list with an open mind, you'd agree he did at least a few more good things than defend net neutrality.

Conversely, when I look through the list, I see a few items I wouldn't list as great accomplishments in the long run, although I think in almost all cases, they were motivated by a sincere desire to!do the right thing.
                        I'll give him credit for this:

"41. Avoided Scandal"

Comment

I think the democrat who wrote the list makes them sound better than they are. I'd like to hear the republican response to each of those 50 and then try to decide the truth for myself. I admit that I dont know the details about quite a few things in there and there's also quite a few that I dont care about at all.

"25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court"

So written by democrats, for democrats. Thats fine, no problem with that, I just didnt realize that initially.
                          It is interesting to me that the most concrete accomplishment Trump touts is the flip side of this...appointing Gorsuch to fill the empty Scalia seat. For Trump, though, it looks like his #1 achievement despite that fact that Mitch did an awful lot of heavy lifting.
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I'll give him credit for this:

"41. Avoided Scandal"
                            Yeah, it's a shame that has to be considered an accomplishment, though.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                              It is interesting to me that the most concrete accomplishment Trump touts is the flip side of this...appointing Gorsuch to fill the empty Scalia seat. For Trump, though, it looks like his #1 achievement despite that fact that Mitch did an awful lot of heavy lifting.
                              This for credit, amazes me, given a long vetted short list of names, pick one. Its not like it was hard work to accomplish on their part, McConnell did that frickin' dirty work to get to that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Igor View Post
                                This for credit, amazes me, given a long vetted short list of names, pick one. Its not like it was hard work to accomplish on their part, McConnell did that frickin' dirty work to get to that point.
                                As a former resident of Louisville, it is hard for me to feel any sympathy for that immortal turtle-man, but the thanks he gets for all the heavy lifting he does for Trump is continual ridicule from Trump's now external mouthpiece--Bannon. They want him gone, or at least they say they do. He seems a useful scapegoat for them whenever things don't go just as they hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X