Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is a shame that the one part of Trump's campaign platform I think everyone could get behind has moved to the back burner--infrastructure. This article doesn't give hope that this important issue gets the attention promised any time soon, despite it being an issue that a lot of voters thought Trump would make a top priority, as he had promised to do many times in his campaign. Maybe he is saving it for late in his term as a strategy to boost his numbers right before a reelection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      It is a shame that the one part of Trump's campaign platform I think everyone could get behind has moved to the back burner--infrastructure. This article doesn't give hope that this important issue gets the attention promised any time soon, despite it being an issue that a lot of voters thought Trump would make a top priority, as he had promised to do many times in his campaign. Maybe he is saving it for late in his term as a strategy to boost his numbers right before a reelection.
      Honestly, I don't think that he has a strategy anymore...Bannon had one for the 1st month or so, but as a wise man once said, no plan survives 1st contact with the enemy. And they just went out there, throwing thing at the wall, hoping that things would stick, and lying through their teeth. One of the big papers, either the NYT or WaPo figured out that the administration, and Trump himself, had lied, big and small, 800+ odd times in the 1st six months of his Presidency. While all politicians stretch the truth, and yes, some outright lie, the amount is staggering.

Now he's tweeting that the President has the power to pardon anyone that he pleases...including himself. Now tell me why an innocent man would even attempt to research something like that.

I think that the money people that advise him didn't want to do infrastructure because there simply wasn't enough return on the investment for them...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Anybody who starts to get excited about Trump's talk about infrastructure should keep in mind that he is talking about infrastructure projects funded by private investors. Is there a history of these working?

S130 here in Texas was supposed to be a shining example, but as best I can tell it has been a disaster, with the investor going bankrupt, the toll road being essentially unused, and much of the tab currently being picked up by the federal government.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Private businesses paying for Infrastructure is stupid. Its also one of the few things that the government should be paying for, from the collection of our taxes.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• The President and his new Communications Director seem to like talking about firing people. Is that a management strategy?

As for Trump's continual comments about his AG, it seems like he is complaining about the waitress at Waffle House rather than one of his own appointees. He has little control over the Waffle House employee, except whether to tip her, but he can RIF Sessions in a heartbeat. Why tweet about him daily? Does Trump think it will make him do a better job? Is that what a strong CEO does in a case like this?

I think Sessions was a horrible choice, but he did the right thing to recuse from the Russia investigation. All of Trump's hand-wringing makes him look vindictive and petty, while at the same time indecisive and weak.

It may be that Trump is trying to make Sessions look so bad before he fires him that nobody will object too much. I just don't know if Sessions' Senate colleagues will accept that so easily.
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• An amazing hot mic exchange between Susan Collins (R) and Jack Reed (D). Really scary window into the opinions of those in the know. Not surprising, since most here agree that Trump is clueless and crazy, and doing massive harm to our country, but still sobering to hear those in the know say it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...5Iv?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

• Suck it, haters. The crowd in Ohio last night broke all records. All of the records. Every single one. Don't ask which ones because all of them were broken by the amazing crowd. Every....single....one.

Comment

• The draft dodger tweets he's banning transgenders (of which there are up to 15k) from serving in the military. What a friend of the LGBTQ community he's been!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    The draft dodger tweets he's banning transgenders (of which there are up to 15k) from serving in the military. What a friend of the LGBTQ community he's been!
                    who knew that this was even an issue for the POTUS these days; I guess there aren't any other issues on his desk.

or the cynic might say that he's rapidly losing his base & needed to do something ...
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Here's a tweet that requires some serious parsing:

"Why didn't A.G. Sessions replace Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, a Comey friend who was in charge of Clinton investigation but got big dollars ($700,000) for his wife's political run from Hillary Clinton and her representatives. Drain the Swamp!"

1. Andrew McCabe didn't get any money. His wife's campaign did. Perhaps Trump cannot accept the idea that a woman can be a separate entity.
                      2. The money he refers to did not come from Hillary Clinton or her "representatives". Part came from a Terry McAuliffe PAC. Part came from the Democratic Party of Virginia. McAuliffe and Bill Clinton are big buddies, though.
                      3. Drain the swamp? Does he mean get rid of McCabe or the loyal supporter he vetted and named AG, who he now excoriates on a daily basis?

EDIT: (Whom?)

EDIT: Comey friend? Is that meant to imply they were in cahoots? That there were shenanigans? I hope they were not 'enemies', since they worked together in our top law enforcement agency for at least a decade.
                      Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• His bashing of Sessions is simple. Make skeptics of him, fire him, install a new, loyal AG who has nothing to do with the Russia investigation, then have the new AG hinder the investigation in some way.

Comment

• This guy is a classless clown! More concerned with his ego being bolstered, than actually moving policy (or making policy).

I had hoped that somehow, someway he could actually get out of his own way and do a great job of delegation. Man he is a mess!
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            The draft dodger tweets he's banning transgenders (of which there are up to 15k) from serving in the military. What a friend of the LGBTQ community he's been!
                            Coincidentally on the same exact day, 69 years ago, that Truman desegregated the military...

Comment

• I gotta say, his public trashing of Sessions to test/prep the waters for his firing is interesting to watch, because while he has done it many times before, he hasn't done it to someone so revered by potential allies connected to his base. He is getting more blow back on this than he has for such moves in the past. This seems to be a real turning point in his support. Even Breitbart has been critical of Trump for his attacks on Session, calling them hypocritical.

I'm still dumbfounded that someone so politically tone deaf got elected. He makes everything partisan, divisive, and hateful, to the point that even his own supporters cringe, like many did with his inappropriately political speech to the boy scouts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                I gotta say, his public trashing of Sessions to test/prep the waters for his firing is interesting to watch, because while he has done it many times before, he hasn't done it to someone so revered by potential allies connected to his base. He is getting more blow back on this than he has for such moves in the past. This seems to be a real turning point in his support. Even Breitbart has been critical of Trump for his attacks on Session, calling them hypocritical.

I'm still dumbfounded that someone so politically tone deaf got elected. He makes everything partisan, divisive, and hateful, to the point that even his own supporters cringe, like many did with his inappropriately political speech to the boy scouts.
                                It just goes to show what a terrible candidate Clinton was.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X