This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
    That's the whole thing. First it was "Repeal Obamacare!", then they realized that wouldn't really work out to well, so the cry became "Repeal and Replace!" even though there isn't a replacement plan.
    Now "Build the Wall, Make Mexico Pay!" is becoming "Build the Wall, We'll figure out how to pay for it later!" That's some fiscal responsibility for you right there. What happened to don't spend $12 billion unless you cut $12 billion somewhere else?
    Point out this hypocrasy, and all the GOP will do is find some example in the past when someone else was allegedly hypocritical, as if that justifies what they are doing. So long as they are allowed to use that justification, Congress will never be better than the worst it has ever been.
    TThe 20% tariff was typical Trump starting the negotiation with a ridiculous number and going from there. Jake Novak had a great column yesterday about how he may actually be angling for a 2% tariff. Additionally, there would be shadow savings as well given that if there are less people here illegally, there are less people using goods and services provided by the government.
    We have nearly a 1T trade deficit with Mexico since the start of NAFTA. It was 60B last year ( our deficit with Canada was 9B). Prior to NAFTA that we had a trade surplus with them. A good deal of that comes from US companies building autos there for resale here. I am of the opinion that we need to do something to keep those companies building here with US union workers, even if it does make the price of a car a little higher or the cost of a bottle of tequila a few cents more. Agriculture represents about 9% of our imports from Mexico. Perhaps it would make sense to exempt food from the tariff the way a lot of states exempt food from sales tax given it is a small amount of the total.
    Last edited by nots; 01-28-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      What the fuck is that going to accomplish? Spend 20 billion dollars just so that we can keep out a bunch of people who do crap jobs for low pay? Sounds like a real winner for the economy.
      Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would like you to flesh out your position on this. Are you advocating for open borders? Do you believe we should continue to play cat and mouse ( for lack of a better term) with folks trying to enter thru the Souther border--just catch who we can? Do you believe the whole thing is a waste of money? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        I thought it was a decent week but if Trump would stop being a sore winner, things would go a lot smoother. I'm hoping the SCOTUS pick will be impressive next week.
        I thought it was a good week for policy ( meeting with the heads of private sector unions on Monday and their reaction to the meeting was absolutely fantastic) but a bad week for the off-the-field stuff. He absolutely destroys his message and his goals when he continues to get bogged down by his own petulance and his thin skin-edness.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
          Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would like you to flesh out your position on this. Are you advocating for open borders? Do you believe we should continue to play cat and mouse ( for lack of a better term) with folks trying to enter thru the Souther border--just catch who we can? Do you believe the whole thing is a waste of money? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
          I don't know the exact right answer, but building a wall is definitely not it. The agricultural economy in California would go to shit with closed borders not to mention all the other low-wage jobs that would then need to be replaced. It's simple-minded to think undocumented = drain on the economy because some illegals are on welfare. The benefit to the economy outweighs the drain by far.

Comment

• I'm surprised his Holocaust Remembrance Day message has not been discussed yet. Yes, the White House released a statement about those lost in the Holocaust without once mentioning the words "Jews" or "anti-semitic." Seems impossible if you try. But oh wait, he has a rabid anti-semite as his right-hand man and message crafter. The ADL released a statement saying they were "troubled" by the startling omission.

Could be much ado about nothing, or could be a continuation of his backhanded anti-semitic rhetoric and failure to condemn his large 'pro-Nazi' following. I'm betting on the latter.

Comment

• There are at least 3 people detained at airports currently, because they were already in the air when Trump signed his executive order. When their attorneys (who've filed for an emergency order to release these people) asked who they could talk to, the Customs people holding them replied: “Mr. President. Call Mr. Trump.”. That's the kind of not my job, just following orders attitude that is reminiscent of a totalitarian regime.

BTW, the people being held because they present a risk to the United States? Either worked directly, or had a family member work directly for the United States in Iraq...that's how we're apparently rewarding people these days.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• You know that you're on the wrong side as a conservative when even Darth Cheney thinks you're wrong...

Even former Vice President Dick Cheney has denounced Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's plan to ban Muslim immigration in America.

Cheney, a decisive conservative himself, said Monday on The Hugh Hewitt Show that the ban "goes against everything we stand for and believe in."

"I think this whole notion that somehow we can just say no more Muslims, just ban a whole religion, goes against everything we stand for and believe in. I mean, religious freedom has been a very important part of our history and where we came from," Cheney said on a Monday appearance on the radio show. "A lot of people, my ancestors got here, because they were Puritans.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  You know that you're on the wrong side as a conservative when even Darth Cheney thinks you're wrong...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ampaign=buffer
                  At what point, is peaceful protest no longer an appropriate response?
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    At what point, is peaceful protest no longer an appropriate response?
                    Wow--really?

Comment

Wow--really?
                      When Dick Cheney is calling him un-American, do you honestly not recognize the danger he represents to our country?
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

When Dick Cheney is calling him un-American, do you honestly not recognize the danger he represents to our country?
                        Well, if Dick Cheyney says something, the smart play is usually to disagree but if you are comfortable advocating for violence because your team lost, by all means go ahead. But just remember, what goes around comes around, and i am sure you wont have quite the same cavalier attitude towards non-peaceful protests when your side is in charge.

Comment

Well, if Dick Cheyney says something, the smart play is usually to disagree but if you are comfortable advocating for violence because your team lost, by all means go ahead. But just remember, what goes around comes around, and i am sure you wont have quite the same cavalier attitude towards non-peaceful protests when your side is in charge.
                          My team isn't going around destroying our rights either.

I wasn't advocating violence, merely asking how extreme can he get before people rise up. And really, are you defending his Muslim ban? I hate Dick Cheney and it speaks volumes that I'm agreeing with him.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

My team isn't going around destroying our rights either.

I wasn't advocating violence, merely asking how extreme can he get before people rise up. And really, are you defending his Muslim ban? I hate Dick Cheney and it speaks volumes that I'm agreeing with him.
                            think
                            Honestly, I don't care at all about his Muslim ban but if you don't think peaceful protests are enough, what's left besides non-peaceful ones?

Comment

Even as many celebrated, the election of America's first black president provoked a furious backlash from some angry whites

Klansman Randy Gray, protesting Obama's election in November 2008 in suburban Detroit I'm in the middle of writing my manuscript, Alt A...
                              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Thanks for posting, Lucky. You found 2 far left sites that agree? Colour me shocked.

Comment

Working...
                                X