This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Wow, that''s some shit analogy there brother.

So now not voting for Hillary is akin to supporting Hitler--Nice to know.
    Um..no. Just saying that sometimes your vote can indeed be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lurker765 View Post
      Um..no. Just saying that sometimes your vote can indeed be wrong.
      I understand, but that's maybe not the best example...........
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I understand, but that's maybe not the best example...........
        You can think of a worse example of someone voting badly?

The quote I responded to was:
        Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
        The fact that someone is being told that they voted wrong frankly is DEPLORABLE! We all vote for our own reasons and to tell someone their vote is wrong - well....

Comment

The fact that someone is being told that they voted wrong frankly is DEPLORABLE! We all vote for our own reasons and to tell someone their vote is wrong - well....
          Yes, everyone who voted for Hillary over Sanders.............I know
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Sorry, its more nuanced that that.

My vote for Johnson didnt get Trump elected, just as much as it didnt beat Hillary. I couldnt in good conscience vote for either of those candidates. Partly because I didnt like them, but more so that they do not align with my policy views. I want smaller government and neither of the parties are actually committed to smaller government.

I will not and have not voted major party for the last 20 years. You may call it a wasted vote, but if I dont voice my opinion at the polls well we may never see any change.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
              Sorry, its more nuanced that that.

My vote for Johnson didnt get Trump elected, just as much as it didnt beat Hillary. I couldnt in good conscience vote for either of those candidates. Partly because I didnt like them, but more so that they do not align with my policy views. I want smaller government and neither of the parties are actually committed to smaller government.

I will not and have not voted major party for the last 20 years. You may call it a wasted vote, but if I dont voice my opinion at the polls well we may never see any change.
              We are more alike than you think. I voted for the first Bush, then Perot, then Clinton. It seemed to me that Clinton was one of the few who was trying to balance the budget and reduce the government after his first term so I voted for him in his second term. I didn't like his personal behavior, but I did like the policies more than what the other parties were professing.

Then libertarian for a while since Bush #2 and Gore, etc were abysmal followed by voting for Obama. I think Obama is our best president in a long time but he was crippled by obstructionist opposition (you lie!).

Then I voted for Hillary since I desperately did not want Trump and the current batch of Republicans in. I don't like Hillary, but figured the race was going to be close and would rather have her in than Trump.

I guess I am now liberal? But from what I can tell the Republican party has gone on the crazy train so I can't vote for them. If it is going to be close I will vote for the least crazy party that can win, otherwise I will vote my conscience.

And, sometimes it isn't more nuanced than what you said. Back to my worst vote evah example. If you didn't vote for the person who could beat Hitler you let his 43% of the crazy nation win and take office. In that particular case the vote was really divided, but in our current less egregious example it didn't take many votes to make sure Trump didn't get in the office. Giving any party all three branches in office at the same time seems to be a cause for worry IMHO. Even if Trump leaves office we will still be in spot where the crazy right of the Republican party will be able to drive through policies through all three branches and nominate Supreme Court justices for a long time.

Edited to add: I became a fan of the least crazy vote after seeing Bush #2 lead us into Iraq. I didn't like Gore at all, but I think a lot of people (ours and theirs) would not be dead at our hands if Gore had won. That was the election I quit voting Libertarian, Green, etc in close elections.
              Last edited by Lurker765; 05-18-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Is there anyone in this thread that voted for Trump and does not regret it? Please speak up.
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Then I voted for Hillary since I desperately did not want Trump and the current batch of Republicans in. I don't like Hillary, but figured the race was going to be close and would rather have her in than Trump.
                  I hear you, I felt the same way about Hillary that you felt about Trump. Didnt like either of them at all but had to pick someone...
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                    I hear you, I felt the same way about Hillary that you felt about Trump. Didnt like either of them at all but had to pick someone...
                    Why not pick the person that doesn't agree with the other two branches? At least put some checks and balances on a party.

Comment

Why not pick the person that doesn't agree with the other two branches? At least put some checks and balances on a party.
                      Whoever won was going to decide which party had the supreme court so its more like saying pick the person who doesnt agree with congress. At the time of the election, I didnt think Trump had any chance and I thought the Senate could go either way. I would have been satisfied if the repubs held the senate 51-49 and Trump lost.
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Outside of the SCOTUS appointment, which I believe could have been avoided or at the very least, pushed back, had Obama just put Garland in the position, what has Trump done that cannot be undone in 2-4 years?

I mean I know what he's TRYING to do, but what has he actually done? Besides being a dick.
                        I think the SC appoint he has made and the one(s) he is likely to still make are huge. Aside from those, I think he has already done significant and long lasting damage in a lot of ways. I won't enumerate them all, but as one example, his budget proposal, put forth in detail just yesterday, for education, will have long lasting negative effects not easily or quickly reversed. He seems hell bent on weakening public education, which will push of further from our ideals of equal opportunity for all.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-18-2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          I think the SC appoint he has made and the one(s) he is likely to still make are huge. Aside from those, I think he has already done significant and long lasting damage in a lot of ways. I won't enumerate them all, but as one example, his budget proposal, put forth in detail just yesterday, for education, will have long lasting negative effects not easily or quickly reversed. He seems hell bent on weakening public education, which will push of further from our ideals of equal opportunity for all.
                          what do we get for the approx $70B/yr we spend on ED?

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            what do we get for the approx $70B/yr we spend on ED?
                            Not sure, but if it lasts more than 4 hours please call your doctor
                            --------------------------------------
                            You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              I agree that his SCOTUS Nominee will be as conservative as the man he replaced, however Obama has some culpability in that fact he allowed congress to stonewall him--he had options which would have been unpopular and met with outrage on the right, but he'd have at least done something. He put the budget forth, it's awful but it's not law of the land nor is anything he's tried to put forth. I also don;t believe he'll be in office long and the Mid terms should go to the Left if the DNC can get their shit together before then.

We see it differently and the ONLY thing Trump has done is partially (IMO) Obama's fault.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I agree that his SCOTUS Nominee will be as conservative as the man he replaced, however Obama has some culpability in that fact he allowed congress to stonewall him--he had options which would have been unpopular and met with outrage on the right, but he'd have at least done something. He put the budget forth, it's awful but it's not law of the land nor is anything he's tried to put forth. I also don;t believe he'll be in office long and the Mid terms should go to the Left if the DNC can get their shit together before then.

We see it differently and the ONLY thing Trump has done is partially (IMO) Obama's fault.
                                Again, don't forget Education, all of the Administration appointments that are trying their best to drag this country backwards. The scrubbing of scientific data sets from government websites, the threats to arrest Journalists, the attempts to coopt the FBI and other intelligence gathering agencies...it just goes on and on. Trying to sell the resources in National Parks, stripping womens rights away from health care...I lose track.
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X