Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Yeah, at this point, and with this president, I think we all should be relieved he didn't pick Ruddy Guiliani, or Chris Christie, or a former contestant on the Apprentice that happened to have a law degree, or his favorite worker at his local McDonalds, or one of his kids, or an anarchist who doesn't believe in the concept of the law.
    When you chastise people for misusing MSM but then post something like the above, it makes me smile.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
      Wait, he said they were facts!
      If somebody wants to provide a link to the sourceable facts that have Trump and Kennedy jockeying over loan payments and feeding each other carrots, I'll read it. I've read the version with the Russians involved, and found that to be about as credible as Politifact and Snopes did.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        I know this is not your meaning, but why the hell should progressives be satisfied that "it could've been worse"? It's a complete crock of shit that Garland isn't sitting there with Gorsuch being the current nominee.
        I didn't suggest progressive should be satisfied, so you'll have to ask someone who did.

I've said from Day 1 that the Merrick Garland's stalled nomination was garbage, so direct your rage at someone who disagrees with you.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          I didn't suggest progressive should be satisfied, so you'll have to ask someone who did.

I've said from Day 1 that the Merrick Garland's stalled nomination was garbage, so direct your rage at someone who disagrees with you.
          I wasn't directing rage at you, as I explicitly stated at the beginning of my post.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I wasn't directing rage at you, as I explicitly stated at the beginning of my post.
            Oh. When someone quotes me, I take that to mean they are talking to me. Carry on carrying on!

Comment

• Saw this on Twitter. It also made me smile because it’s fair and balanced as usual by MSM. A03CE7EC-8096-4D4C-BE83-F46E08C27937.jpgjA03CE7EC-8096-4D4C-BE83-F46E08C27937.jpg7FCC76A8-53BD-4E39-A544-A9750E1295A4.jpg

Exact same author exact opposite take. Could it be politics or was she wrong the first time?
              Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 07-11-2018, 05:27 PM.
              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Saw this on Twitter. It also made me smile because it’s fair and balanced as usual by MSM. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1080[/ATTACH]j[ATTACH=CONFIG]1080[/ATTACH]

Exact same author exact opposite take. Could it be politics or was she wrong the first time?
                I'm lost here Bernie...it's the exact same screen grab that's promoting an article that details a study. But neither the article nor the study is linked, so all we see is a headline...can you link more?
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  I'm lost here Bernie...it's the exact same screen grab that's promoting an article that details a study. But neither the article nor the study is linked, so all we see is a headline...can you link more?
                  It’s the headline. Oops. Now corrected.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

It’s the headline. Oops. Now corrected.
                    Yeah, that's pretty much BS for sure.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Well hell, at least he likes baseball!

Supreme Court nominee incurred tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt by purchasing baseball tickets, White House says

A review of Brett Kavanaugh’s financial disclosures and information provided by the White House shows between $60,000 and $200,000 in credit card and personal loan debt in 2016 and at times liabilities that could have exceeded the value of his cash accounts and investment assets.

Kavanaugh’s most recent financial disclosures reveal assets between $15,000 and $65,000, which would put him at the bottom of the financial ranking of justices, most of whom list well over $1 million in assets. The value of residences is not subject to disclosure.

President Trump's second Supreme Court pick piled up large credit card debts for home improvements and buying Washington Nationals season tickets for himself and a “handful” of friends, and he paid it off in 2017 after being reimbursed by friends, the White House says.
                      WaPo news alerts...

Although I do struggle to see how how a 53 YO professional can have assets as low as he apparently does. What does a Federal Judge make anyway? Another quick quote from Kavanaugh...

In the federal courthouse in Washington, Kavanaugh has developed a reputation for cracking jokes, talking sports and showing up at events to support his colleagues.

He has likened himself to the official behind home plate, calling balls and strikes.

"To be a good umpire and a good judge, don't be a jerk," Kavanaugh said in a speech three years ago. "In your opinions, demonstrate civility — to show, to help display that you're trying to make the decision impartially, dispassionately, based on the law and not based on your emotions."

President Trump's new nominee for the Supreme Court argued that presidents should be protected from lawsuits and investigations while they're in office.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Saw this on Twitter. It also made me smile because it’s fair and balanced as usual by MSM. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1080[/ATTACH]j[ATTACH=CONFIG]1080[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1081[/ATTACH]

So, lemme get this straight... You went online in search of fairness, balance, and intellectual consistency in political reporting, and you landed at the Huffington Post?!

Comment

So, lemme get this straight... You went online in search of fairness, balance, and intellectual consistency in political reporting, and you landed at the Huffington Post?!

Yeah, it still amazes me how big HP has gotten and how people still gravitate to it even though the majority of their content is created by unpaid, unvetted people with little to no credentials. And the site is more about clickbait than anything else. I guess it is all about SEO in terms of what sources get views.

Hornsby could speak to this better than me, but the rise of alternative "news" blogs like this seems to have really drag down journalistic standards. Traditional print had to compete with these sites and are getting dragged down to their level.
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-11-2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I’ve been known to frequent HP on occasion, but I saw this when I was scrolling through Twitter this afternoon. I was being a sarcastic dick calling HP MSM. It’s not and I can’t take (wouldn’t want to take) credit for someone else’s tweet.

HP imho is the tabloid of the virtual “liberal media” space, of which there are many. Never to be outdone by conservative Internet garbage. A race to the bottom.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Yeah, it still amazes me how big HP has gotten and how people still gravitate to it even though the majority of their content is created by unpaid, unvetted people with little to no credentials. And the site is more about clickbait than anything else. I guess it is all about SEO in terms of what sources get views.

Hornsby could speak to this better than me, but the rise of alternative "news" blogs like this seems to have really drag down journalistic standards. Traditional print had to compete with these sites and are getting dragged down to their level.
                              Worse than that, the media has become participatory. All leaks have become scoops, fct check or none. The degree to which even blue ribbon sources like WP and NYT have run full up fabrications is obscene.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                WaPo news alerts...

Although I do struggle to see how how a 53 YO professional can have assets as low as he apparently does. What does a Federal Judge make anyway? Another quick quote from Kavanaugh...
                                I met Justice O'Connor and Justice Thomas at two separate summer legal associate events back in the summer of 1996, and it was clear that O'Connor, by that point long-tenured and whose husband was a partner at the law firm where I was interning, was doing very well for herself. Thomas at the time told us that he still had educational loans he was repaying at the time of his appointment to the Supreme Court. I don't know that his net worth at the time of appointment was any higher than Kavanaugh's is now. But as a Supreme Court Justice, Kavanaugh should do fine for himself, between the salary of around $250,000/year plus book deals/royalties and investments, small speaking fees (which are pretty constrained by regulation), plus they get a lot of perks such as travel.

Comment

Working...
                                X