Linsanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
    Here's Nate Silver's analysis on why Lin's production is sustainable.
    Good stuff. I wonder what those guys' usage rates were compared to Lin. If there's a decent chance he turns out to be Price or KJ... Wow

Comment

Lin's best assist/turnover ratio by far tonight, and sat in garbage time.
      That should make D'Antoni and Lin happy - better overall play, easy win, lots of rest in this silly lockout-fevered schedule.
      Oh, and a 7th straight win

#linning

don't see them taking down the Heat or Bulls in the first round, so the Knicks still have work to do to at least get to the semis, which would be huge progress for them (I was in Toronto in 2001 the last time they won a playoff GAME)
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Pete, for you to be right, and for Lin to become an All-Star, let alone an "all time great", every GM in the NBA would have to be wrong, every scout, every coach, most coaches in the college game, and even Dantoni, who had him on the bench for 2 months, would have been blind to his talents.

It's a nice story, fueled by the twin facts of being a Knick, and being Asian. If he was a black kid who surfaced in Milwaukee doing this, I bet hardly anyone other than dyed in the wool hoops fans would ever notice.

I've got nothing against the kid, but I prefer to look at things realistically.

I didnt say he would become an all time great. I said his first 6 games have been all time great-ish. Game 7 he drops 13 dimes in just 26 minutes. He continues to play well.

As for all these people being wrong well i cant say what they did or didnt see but j can tell you what i see. I see a kid that can play.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          I didnt say he would become an all time great. I said his first 6 games have been all time great-ish. Game 7 he drops 13 dimes in just 26 minutes. He continues to play well.

As for all these people being wrong well i cant say what they did or didnt see but j can tell you what i see. I see a kid that can play.
          Yeah, you kinda did, but I'm used to that from you...

Don't forget that he also had 6 turnovers in those 26 minutes tonight, eventually all those turnovers are going to come back to bite him in the ass...but I've been wrong before. Not often, but it happens...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

If turnovers are Lin's biggest issue I think he can work on that as he gets more time in games. He said himself the other night that he's seeing coverages that he's never seen before and it's causing him to turn the ball over. He also has a tendency to "over drive" to the basket thus putting him in a difficult position to kick the ball back out if necessary.

I believe those types of mistakes are easily correctable in a player as intelligent as Lin obviously is.

I don't think he's an First Team NBA point guard but I see no reason that he can't be KJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              fyi, 'get-in-door' price on Stubhub for Nets-Grizzlies (two other sub-.500 teams) across the river tonight was not $89 but actually..... one cent.

yes, really....
              but they get you with fees - so it ends up being about $12

and the entertainment value of the games sounds about right.

plus you need to pay for parking and get spanish/portuguese food before the game

go NETS

Comment

Yeah, you kinda did, but I'm used to that from you...

Don't forget that he also had 6 turnovers in those 26 minutes tonight, eventually all those turnovers are going to come back to bite him in the ass...but I've been wrong before. Not often, but it happens...
                please show me where I said that. thanks
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

please show me where I said that. thanks
                  C'mon Pete...shooting ducks in a pond.

Youre kidding right? In 6 games, he has accomplished more than many of the greats who have ever played this game. That can never be taken away from him. Some seem to down play it because 'its only 6 games'. So what? Its amazing what he has down, especially where he has come from. I realize past performance doesnt ensure future success but it also makes the past performances facts. He has done it.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Great story.

Not much of an NBA fan anymore.

How has the competition been that he has faced?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Great story.

Not much of an NBA fan anymore.

How has the competition been that he has faced?
                      He outscored someone named Kobe Bryant in one game.

As for the turnovers, yes, he needs to get them down but I think that when Anthony comes back he won't feel the need to force it as much and I think the turnovers will go down.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

C'mon Pete...shooting ducks in a pond.
                        I thought you were smarter than that. my bad. I said that his 6 games stood up very well to those who have ever played the game. You really reached there.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          He outscored someone named Kobe Bryant in one game.

As for the turnovers, yes, he needs to get them down but I think that when Anthony comes back he won't feel the need to force it as much and I think the turnovers will go down.
                          Ha,ha.

So the question is did he play against one good team and 5 stiffs like last night?

It is my understanding that there are a lot of bad teams out there. It also looks like he will be facing some more in the next few games (of course this should help the story).

Comment

I thought you were smarter than that. my bad. I said that his 6 games stood up very well to those who have ever played the game. You really reached there.
                            Pete, thinking that I'm smart is a fools errand...but what you wrote, and my conclusion, was no reach.

Enjoy the ride, I hope it last a long time...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Ha,ha.

So the question is did he play against one good team and 5 stiffs like last night?

It is my understanding that there are a lot of bad teams out there. It also looks like he will be facing some more in the next few games (of course this should help the story).
                              It is true there are a lot of bad teams out there (including the Lakers and Celtics) but wouldnt that mean there would be a lot of people doing what Lin is doing? I get your point but I dont think it diminishes what Lin has accomplished thus far.

Comment

Ha,ha.

The last four seasons of the NBA has been amazing to watch. It has been this fun since MJ. The metaphor I would use to describe it is that MJ was the Roman Empire, post-MJ was the Dark Ages, currently it is the Renaissance.

Just to clarify, economics history does point to some cool things that occurred in the Dark Ages that planted the seeds for the Renaissance to bloom. So post-MJ wasn't all bad, but the current NBA landscape is soooo good right now.

Here's Bill Simmons take on Lin mania. Silver's piece (which I linked above) and this are the two best takes I've read on what's happening right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X