Linsanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Youre kidding right? In 6 games, he has accomplished more than many of the greats who have ever played this game.
    I guess I don't understand your basis for this statement. He's averaged around 25 and 8 over the course of a six-game win streak. That's mighty fine. But how is that accomplishing more than many of the greats who have ever played this game? Oscar Robertson beat those per-game averages for 10 straight seasons. I'm loving this run by Lin, so I'm not trying to rain on the parade. But you've now said, "He's doing things rarely, if ever, seen in the NBA" and that "In 6 games, he has accomplished more than many of the greats who ever played this game", and I just don't understand how that's so.

Comment

Capable NBA point guards are apparently hard to find. The Lakers are giving Derek Fisher and Steve Blake each 25 minutes a night, and they fell apart when Blake was hurt. If Lin ends up average overall and the home fans keep having fun with it, he's worth a lot.

Listening to ESPN radio when Lin was first pressed into duty, they quoted Knicks players as saying Lin had been schooling them in practice, so they saw the potential.
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        I guess I don't understand your basis for this statement. He's averaged around 25 and 8 over the course of a six-game win streak. That's mighty fine. But how is that accomplishing more than many of the greats who have ever played this game? Oscar Robertson beat those per-game averages for 10 straight seasons. I'm loving this run by Lin, so I'm not trying to rain on the parade. But you've now said, "He's doing things rarely, if ever, seen in the NBA" and that "In 6 games, he has accomplished more than many of the greats who ever played this game", and I just don't understand how that's so.
        I think he means in his first six games as a starter. No one has come out of the gate for their first six games as a starter and put up these numbers. I believe that's what he means.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

One thing that is unique to basketball (at least compared to baseball and football), is the affection fans have for the last guys off the bench. In college those guys are frequently non-scholarship players, and every time they get the ball the fans start yelling "shoot it!", no matter how far they are from the basket. So Knicks fans loved him immediately, then it turns out he can play.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

So is Lin's WAR 6, or is it 0 because he is the replacement player?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              I think he means in his first six games as a starter. No one has come out of the gate for their first six games as a starter and put up these numbers. I believe that's what he means.
              Got it. Although he's only started five games. He came off the bench for his breakout game against NJ. And yes, I think my earlier post I noted that the production level for the first six games of his NBA career in which he's gotten heavy minutes is something rarely, if ever, seen before, particularly considering that he's not some lottery pick rookie, but rather an undrafted second-year player who got limited garbage-time minutes in 29 games with the Warriors before being waived by them, then picked up and waived by the Rockets, and then picked up and sent to the D-League by the Knicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                One thing that is unique to basketball (at least compared to baseball and football), is the affection fans have for the last guys off the bench. In college those guys are frequently non-scholarship players, and every time they get the ball the fans start yelling "shoot it!", no matter how far they are from the basket. So Knicks fans loved him immediately, then it turns out he can play.
                Thanks for causing me to remember Greg Butler. Worst NBA player ever.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

its easy. What were Big O's numbers in his first 6 NBA starts? Unfortunately I cant seem to find a game log but my question is did Oscar average as many points and assists in his first 6 NBA starts as Lin has? How many others have?
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    yes I did. thanks Buck.
                    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Got it. Although he's only started five games. He came off the bench for his breakout game against NJ. And yes, I think my earlier post I noted that the production level for the first six games of his NBA career in which he's gotten heavy minutes is something rarely, if ever, seen before, particularly considering that he's not some lottery pick rookie, but rather an undrafted second-year player who got limited garbage-time minutes in 29 games with the Warriors before being waived by them, then picked up and waived by the Rockets, and then picked up and sent to the D-League by the Knicks.
                      He is putting up better numbers than most if not all of those lottery rookies, through 6 (or 5) starts. I would venture to say many of those lottery picks logged significant minutes although I cant say for sure.

Comment

Here's Nate Silver's analysis on why Lin's production is sustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          He is putting up better numbers than most if not all of those lottery rookies, through 6 (or 5) starts. I would venture to say many of those lottery picks logged significant minutes although I cant say for sure.
                          Pete, for you to be right, and for Lin to become an All-Star, let alone an "all time great", every GM in the NBA would have to be wrong, every scout, every coach, most coaches in the college game, and even Dantoni, who had him on the bench for 2 months, would have been blind to his talents.

It's a nice story, fueled by the twin facts of being a Knick, and being Asian. If he was a black kid who surfaced in Milwaukee doing this, I bet hardly anyone other than dyed in the wool hoops fans would ever notice.

I've got nothing against the kid, but I prefer to look at things realistically.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

The five highest ticket prices for NBA games in any city this year are now 4 Lin games at the Garden (two already played, plus the next two), and the Knicks-Celtics Christmas Day opener at the Garden.

The average Stubhub price for tonight's game was $92 last Friday - and $317 this morning.

The Garden guest list tonight is always impressive, but tonight also includes Bill Russell, Al Gore, CC Sabathia, Mary J Blige, Whoopi Goldberg, Bobby Baccala and Carmella from The Sopranos, Gerry Cooney, etc.

this is a mid-Feb game between two sub-.500 teams.

my longterm take on Lin is a nice "energy guy" second team player.
                            has a little Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson in him, but with better acceleration to the hoop perhaps.
                            overall, that would be a nice player claimed off waivers..
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              The five highest ticket prices for NBA games in any city this year are now 4 Lin games at the Garden (two already played, plus the next two), and the Knicks-Celtics Christmas Day opener at the Garden.

The average Stubhub price for tonight's game was $92 last Friday - and $317 this morning.

The Garden guest list tonight is always impressive, but tonight also includes Bill Russell, Al Gore, CC Sabathia, Mary J Blige, Whoopi Goldberg, Bobby Baccala and Carmella from The Sopranos, Gerry Cooney, etc.

this is a mid-Feb game between two sub-.500 teams.

my longterm take on Lin is a nice "energy guy" second team player.
                              has a little Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson in him, but with better acceleration to the hoop perhaps.
                              overall, that would be a nice player claimed off waivers..
                              I think he's better than that in D'antoni's system. But we'll see. And yes I am quite happy I've claimed off waivers. :-)

Comment

fyi, 'get-in-door' price on Stubhub for Nets-Grizzlies (two other sub-.500 teams) across the river tonight was not $89 but actually..... one cent.

yes, really....
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X