Rodney Harrison = CLOWN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodney Harrison = CLOWN!

Rodney Harrison, the former all-pro safety for the San Diego Chargers and New England Patriots, said he's scared for his future after sustaining numerous concussions during his playing days.

from the article: "They never told us or explained to us or even let us know what a concussion was. I had no idea until just recently. And even since I retired from the Patriots in 2008, I would still experience headaches."

Give us a break Harrison you idiot. If Harrison didn't know what a concussion was then that's on him. How could he play football that long and not know what a concussion was?

And Harrison didn't think that maybe, just maybe, slamming his head into other people wasn't going to cause long term problems? Idiot.

Man I hope someone interviews him and calls him out for this nonsense he is spewing.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I don't get the feeling that he is saying he had never heard of a concussion but rather didn't really understand specifically what being concussed meant and that there was a lasting impact of having (multiple) concussions.

It's still on him to do the research rather than to expect the league to spoon feed him information, but up until recently the NFL has treated players as money making commodities with a very short shelf life and it wasn't until they felt pressure that they decided to educate players.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      I don't get the feeling that he is saying he had never heard of a concussion but rather didn't really understand specifically what being concussed meant and that there was a lasting impact of having (multiple) concussions.

It's still on him to do the research rather than to expect the league to spoon feed him information, but up until recently the NFL has treated players as money making commodities with a very short shelf life and it wasn't until they felt pressure that they decided to educate players.
      Oh i agree that the NFL is culpable in not providing enough info to the players regarding health risks...but...why would anyone not realize that slamming your head into other people won't cause damage??? Are people really that ignorant? Maybe they are..maybe they are...sadly..
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I think Harrison is spot on. The NFL did nothing to protect their players back when he played. They are getting better. I think part of it is that we are learning more about concussions that just wasn't known 10 years ago.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          I played football for years and had no idea that I could have been exposing myself to long term problems. Guess I'm an "idiot", too.

It's NOT on Harrison to know the medical nuances and dangers of his profession. That is on his employer, very clearly. If the NFL did not provide its employees with adequate information pertaining to the hazards of their job then they are culpable just the same as any employer anywhere in this country is.
          You are one of the brightest posters on this site. I find it hard to understand how you would not know the violent collisions you had while playing football could not cause long term injuries? That's the main reason I never even gave football a thought as a kid. Getting hit once playing football was enough to make me realize that "man that can't be good for me". And i'm far from the smartest guy on the block.

And yes i agree the NFL was not doing enough to educate the players about the long term effects of head injuries. But i can't put all of the blame on the NFL. It's a violent game.
          Last edited by Mithrandir; 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Oh i agree that the NFL is culpable in not providing enough info to the players regarding health risks...but...why would anyone not realize that slamming your head into other people won't cause damage??? Are people really that ignorant? Maybe they are..maybe they are...sadly..
            They were given a helmet and told it would protect them. They knew it caused damage, like a headache, but without a medical degree I think it's asking a lot for them to know permanent damage would be possible. Football players think they are indestructible, that nothing can hurt them. Doctors are now just learning just how bad it can be, and you are expecting football players to know this?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I agree 100% with this comment i found :

"Hey Rodney what would your life be like without football? Would you be a multi millionaire? Would you be enjoying yourself quite as much? How about if you weren't a complete moron during your career and always leading with your head and trying to "blow people up" like so many players think is fun to do. Hell Ronnie Lott knocked himself out popping a guy straight up and I don't see him complaining about being protected by the league. Fact is you all played a game you were supposed to smash into other big bodies at high speeds. What did you think would happen to you? And why aren't you crying about what your college program did to you too? Maybe because there's less money to be gotten from them? I have no sympathy for you as any intelligent person would know what they were getting themselves into."

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                They were given a helmet and told it would protect them. They knew it caused damage, like a headache, but without a medical degree I think it's asking a lot for them to know permanent damage would be possible. Football players think they are indestructible, that nothing can hurt them. Doctors are now just learning just how bad it can be, and you are expecting football players to know this?

If the doctors didn't know the effects when Harrison played, as you just stated, then why are players bitching about not being made aware of the effects? How could they have been made aware if even the doctors didn't know?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Of course I thought I could get hurt --- broken legs, bruised ribs, twisted ankles, whatever....

No one had any idea until extremely recently that what amounts to brain damage could happen from playing football. And that's what Harrison is talking about. And he's absolutely right.
                  So how could the players have been told about the effects when no one else knew the long term effects?

Comment

So now that there is all this evidence about how dangerous concussions can be and the long term effects, has it changed the way NFL players play? NOT ONE BIT! In every game there are head to head collisions..players leading with their helmets...even though they now know how dangerous it can be..THEY STILL DO IT! Explain that.

That's why Harrison is full of crap.

Comment

You clearly are doing what you do Mith - which is read something, take a very stringent view point on it and not budge from your opinion one bit. That is your norm and that's fine.

I don't think any of us would disagree with you if we all were interpreting his comments in the same aggressively absolute way that you are. The problem is that everyone who has commented in this thread thus far with the exception of you seem to read his comments in a context differently than you do.

I believe that Rodney Harrison is saying he didn't know he could get hurt. With things like the Junior Seau suicide, the Jovan Belcher murder-suicide, or even the Chris Benoit murder-suicide from a few years ago we are rapidly learning that there are consequences for putting your body through the toll of being a professional athlete.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and call the man an idiot when we haven't been through even an inch of things that he's been through, but the fact of the matter is he is saying based on what he has learned since he retired and didn't know at the time he is scared for his future. That isn't idiocy, that's honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        You clearly are doing what you do Mith - which is read something, take a very stringent view point on it and not budge from your opinion one bit. That is your norm and that's fine.

I don't think any of us would disagree with you if we all were interpreting his comments in the same aggressively absolute way that you are. The problem is that everyone who has commented in this thread thus far with the exception of you seem to read his comments in a context differently than you do.

I believe that Rodney Harrison is saying he didn't know he could get hurt. With things like the Junior Seau suicide, the Jovan Belcher murder-suicide, or even the Chris Benoit murder-suicide from a few years ago we are rapidly learning that there are consequences for putting your body through the toll of being a professional athlete.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and call the man an idiot when we haven't been through even an inch of things that he's been through, but the fact of the matter is he is saying based on what he has learned since he retired and didn't know at the time he is scared for his future. That isn't idiocy, that's honesty.
                        Well Stephen I have perused many websites and read hundreds of comments about Harrison and maybe surprisingly to you i could not find one that agreed with Harrison. The guys on this site tend to not agree with me on most issues, so please don't make it seem like the RJ posters in this thread are right and i am wrong..when everywhere else i read the people commenting seem to agree with me.

Conversely, you don't want to see my point, which i feel is valid. Harrison was paid millions to play a violent game. he was a headhunter. Now he feels wronged. i think he is foolish. You can disagree with me, but please don't disparage my remarks because i sit behind a keyboard.

Comment

Conversely, you don't want to see my point, which i feel is valid. Harrison was paid millions to play a violent game. he was a headhunter. Now he feels wronged. i think he is foolish. You can disagree with me, but please don't disparage my remarks because i sit behind a keyboard.
                          Friendly advice -- I think you'd be more likely to get people engaging in thoughtful dialogue/debate with you if your initial messages were more like the one above (a clear opinion but reasonable tone) as opposed to using CAPS, calling Harrison names, etc. You can't be surprised at people reacting harshly when that's exactly what you've invited.

Comment

Well Stephen I have perused many websites and read hundreds of comments about Harrison and maybe surprisingly to you i could not find one that agreed with Harrison. The guys on this site tend to not agree with me on most issues, so please don't make it seem like the RJ posters in this thread are right and i am wrong..when everywhere else i read the people commenting seem to agree with me.

So because I never agree with you means I'm always wrong and you are always right? I'm not out to get you, like you might think. I just voice my opinion same as you do. You yourself said you consider eldiablo to be a very smart poster but you've dismissed his opinion and now you are using complete strangers' comments, most of which I assume are trolling comments at the end of an article. Solid plan.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                              Friendly advice -- I think you'd be more likely to get people engaging in thoughtful dialogue/debate with you if your initial messages were more like the one above (a clear opinion but reasonable tone) as opposed to using CAPS, calling Harrison names, etc. You can't be surprised at people reacting harshly when that's exactly what you've invited.
                              You're right. But..I am very opinionated and tend to react strongly. I think Harrison is a clown for his comments. So i said that. Not saying Harrison is altogether wrong, but I think he is coming off like he wants us to feel sorry for him. Obviously others here do not feel that he is coming off like that so they disagree with me. i don't mind the disagreeing, but i'm not going to sugarcoat the way i feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X