Week 3 musings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 3 musings...

If you are the Saints (or a Saints fan), it is time to panic. Your team is 0-3 and playing Green Bay next week. The Saints D has been gashed by everyone thus far.

R.I.P. Steve Sabol.

After watching a bunch of that Philly/Arizona game, two things struck me. One, I'm morbidly attracted to how bad this Philly team is. Second, this Arizona team is for real, especially their defense.

In honour of the year I was born (1974), this year was the last time the Cardinals started 3-0.

The NFC West would seem to be the best division in football.

The Detroit/Tennessee game was the game of the day. Game-tying hail mary's, long returns for TD's, lateral's etc...good stuff, if you are a fan of offense.

On a related note, three games in, and RB Chris Johnson needs 55 more rushing yards to reach 100 (on the season !). That being said, that Tennessee O-line is not what it was a few years ago, Barry Sanders couldn't run behind this line.

Good job Baltimore's Torrey Smith. Not only did you play after the death of your brother, you played well. You've earned my respect.

With no Spiller or Jackson, the Bills sure looked mediocre on offense.

The officiating in the last 5 minutes of the Vikes/Niners game was dreadful. San Fran was given a challenge (when it was out of timeouts), and the ref mysteriously gave San Fran another timeout thus giving them two timeouts. They should had none of either.

The Vikes played their best game in a few years versus the Niners. The D was stout-ish, and Ponder made all the plays he had to. Kinda makes me wonder where this team was during the first weeks of the season. Gerhart still playing after his first 1-2 fumbles late in the game, is troubling (which resulted in him fumbling for a third time).

The Steeler/Raider game lasted until almost 8 pm. I can imagine the networks getting on the NFL for these games going so long, largely due to the officials and the repeated delays (with challenges, spotting the ball etc...) that drag some of these games.

Darrelle Revis is done for the year, good bye Jets playoff hopes.

When announcers refer to a players " ball skills ", am I the only one who finds this phasing rather weird ?

When you give up 500 yards to the Chiefs, you really have been gashed. The game should have been a blowout, but Kansas City could not convert inside the 30. Their only TD was from their own 9 yard line.

That being said, the team defense came up big at crunch time. Where they have folded before, they dug in and fought. Back home against SD this week. It will be a telling game for both teams.

They Jets were already dead. Revis injury is a tombstone.

Spiller is Jamaal Charles, but higher drafted. He needs limited touches to remain healthy.

I was right picking the Rams as a team on the rise, but I was off about the division as a whole. I still think SF is over rated. The best defense may be in Arizona.

I never had problems with the phrase "ball skills".

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Chris Johnson had 41 yards at halftime, and ended up with 24 on the day. He got stopped in the backfield four separate times, losing as much as 8 yards on two separate occasions. My fantasy football owner friends are taking whatever they can get for him, and it ain't much.

The Charles explosion surprised me, as he was sitting on the bench last week nursing a sore knee. I guess it's sore now from running for almost 300 yards yesterday!

It's amazing how explosive the Giants offense has become -- as a fan, I was not even concerned with the loss of Nicks or Bradshaw. And they didn't even skip a beat without them. These aren't my dad's Giants.

The Jets absolutely define the term "winning ugly."

All CJ Spiller owners breathe a collective sigh of relief. Was there anyone who didn't expect to hear "placed on Injured Reserve?"

When was the last time a Browns WR was usuable for fantasy purposes? Kevin Johnson, over 10 years ago? That place is a fantasy football wasteland.

Dennis Pitta and Martellus Bennett have risen into near elite TE status, and could have been grabbed off the waiver wire as recently as this week.

Comment

Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
        The Steeler/Raider game lasted until almost 8 pm. I can imagine the networks getting on the NFL for these games going so long, largely due to the officials and the repeated delays (with challenges, spotting the ball etc...) that drag some of these games.
        The injury to Darrius Heyward-Bey probably added about 20 minutes to the game with a briefly unconscious Heyward-Bey being attended to for several minutes and then being put on a backboard, then a stretcher, then a cart, and then slowly and carefully carted off the field. Without this injury, it's probably closer to a 3 hour game than 3 1/2.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Redskins may wind up with 6 wins, same as last year, but they are finally fun to watch. If they gave up 20 last year it was a loss because of no offense but this year they have scored 40-28-31 in their three games. If they could just do something about those 15 yard penalties right before they run the last play of the game.

Did Christian Ponder just grow up? Or was that a blip? He was amazing against one of the best, if not the best, defense in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
            Did Christian Ponder just grow up? Or was that a blip? He was amazing against one of the best, if not the best, defense in the league.
            He seems to have realized that Kyle Rudolph is a great weapon in the redzone.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
              The Redskins may wind up with 6 wins, same as last year, but they are finally fun to watch. If they gave up 20 last year it was a loss because of no offense but this year they have scored 40-28-31 in their three games. If they could just do something about those 15 yard penalties right before they run the last play of the game.

I think that Ponder game is and will be a good NFL QB and yesterday's game was a peak performance.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                When was the last time a Browns WR was usuable for fantasy purposes?
                Braylon Edwards in 2007.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
                  One, I'm morbidly attracted to how bad this Philly team is.
                  They're not bad, they beat the Ravens for Pete's sake.

They're stupid and undisciplined. Both the QB and the head coach never learn from their mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    The best defense may be in Arizona.
                    Patrick Peterson is the best defensive back in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      My fantasy football owner friends are taking whatever they can get for him, and it ain't much.
                      I just parked him on my bench after Week 2. There's no point in trying to deal him, you'll get nothing.

Comment

Stevan Ridley owners got Belichek'd.

Some games, Belichek completely changes the gameplan and someone who usually gets playing time completely disappears for long stretches. It's happened to Welker and now Ridley. Who will be next?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          Braylon Edwards in 2007.
                          Since 1984 (they were team-less from 1996-1998), they've had all of THREE 1,000-yard receivers. That's pathetic. By contrast, the Giants, who were just as inept with receivers for a good 25 years, had two 1,000-yard receivers last year alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            They're not bad, they beat the Ravens for Pete's sake.

They're stupid and undisciplined. Both the QB and the head coach never learn from their mistakes.
                            The Eagles have played hilariously bad in all 3 games. They are lucky as hell they are 2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                              The Eagles have played hilariously bad in all 3 games. They are lucky as hell they are 2-1.
                              A point here, a point there, what does it get you?

Wasnt this the team being touted as "The Dream Team"? Cowboys win that division ugly.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X