Week Three Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
    I'm not even mad. I'm laughing hysterically because that was just insane.
    I'm mad. I'm a Packer fan.

Awful roughing the pass call when the Packers intercepted the ball.

Awful pass interference on Shields when it was offensive pass interference.

And well, the last play of the game, missed offensive pass interference and Jennings had the freaking the ball.

The plus side is there is no way the NFL can let this continue. The refs will most likely get everything they have been asking for after this.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Well that game was kinda fun! Um, um, I got nothing!
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Ya gotta love NY headline writer's sense of humor (as well as thoroughbred racing history!)

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          I'm mad. I'm a Packer fan.

Awful roughing the pass call when the Packers intercepted the ball.

Awful pass interference on Shields when it was offensive pass interference.

And well, the last play of the game, missed offensive pass interference and Jennings had the freaking the ball.

The plus side is there is no way the NFL can let this continue. The refs will most likely get everything they have been asking for after this.
          Why do you think that the NFL will give in? Does anything but TV ratings matter to Goodell and the owners?
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Why do you think that the NFL will give in? Does anything but TV ratings matter to Goodell and the owners?
            ???

Why do television ratings matter in this case? They already have contracts signed with the networks until 2020.

It matters because the integrity of the game is at stake. The NFL is widely-regarded as the best sports product in the world, a league where everything is always done right. Now they have billion dollar franchises and world-class athletes being undermined by high school quality refs, all because of a few extra bucks for some part-time employees.

And didn't one of "the owners" just potentially lose a critical game on a horrendous call that may alter the course of their entire season -- and potentially cost them millions in post-season revenue? What if this game is the difference between hosting a post-season game or going on the road?

Like Cris Carter always says, "C'mon man."

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              ???

Why do television ratings matter in this case? They already have contracts signed with the networks until 2020.

It matters because the integrity of the game is at stake. The NFL is widely-regarded as the best sports product in the world, a league where everything is always done right. Now they have billion dollar franchises and world-class athletes being undermined by high school quality refs, all because of a few extra bucks for some part-time employees.

And didn't one of "the owners" just potentially lose a critical game on a horrendous call that may alter the course of their entire season -- and potentially cost them millions in post-season revenue? What if this game is the difference between hosting a post-season game or going on the road?

Like Cris Carter always says, "C'mon man."
              We'll see what happens. My point is that the owners and Goodell don't like to "lose". So as long as the ratings and popularity of the NFL don't take a hit, they may not feel as strongly about giving in to the refs. They need to, but will they?

And i think it is ridiculous that the NFL isn't giving the regular refs what they are asking for. The job the refs do is not easy and should be well compensated as long as the NFL is rolling in the dough..which they are.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Rule 17. Can't remember the exact wording but Goodell can change any call as he sees fit. If they review the call and admit it was wrong and since it was the last play of the game how would fans feel about Green Bay being given that win on Tuesday or Wednesday. I would give this about a .000001% happening but the rule is there.

Comment

We'll see what happens. My point is that the owners and Goodell don't like to "lose". So as long as the ratings and popularity of the NFL don't take a hit, they may not feel as strongly about giving in to the refs. They need to, but will they?

And i think it is ridiculous that the NFL isn't giving the regular refs what they are asking for. The job the refs do is not easy and should be well compensated as long as the NFL is rolling in the dough..which they are.
                  You're right -- this is clearly about the NFL not wanting to lose. But don't you think the popularity of the league HAS taken a major hit with this whole replacement ref debacle?

This whole lockout boils down to a difference of a measly $3.3 MILLION dollars per year. That's million, not billion. The NFL wants to basically do what many companies have done -- drop the pension plan, move to a 401k. And with that, save $3.3m per year. This really is kind of laughable that they won't budge on this, even after games are being decided by rank amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    You're right -- this is clearly about the NFL not wanting to lose. But don't you think the popularity of the league HAS taken a major hit with this whole replacement ref debacle?

This whole lockout boils down to a difference of a measly $3.3 MILLION dollars per year. That's million, not billion. The NFL wants to basically do what many companies have done -- drop the pension plan, move to a 401k. And with that, save $3.3m per year. This really is kind of laughable that they won't budge on this, even after games are being decided by rank amateurs.
                    I don't know if the league has taken any hit with this replacement ref debacle.
                    Have they? Are less people watching and talking about the NFL?

Should the regular refs be given everything they demand? I seem to recall there being a huge amount of moaning every week regarding the regular referees.

Comment

I don't know if the league has taken any hit with this replacement ref debacle.
                      Have they? Are less people watching and talking about the NFL?

Should the regular refs be given everything they demand? I seem to recall there being a huge amount of moaning every week regarding the regular referees.
                      They're talking about the NFL -- about how bad these calls have been and especially last night's debacle. I'm sure ratings have not been affected, nor should they.

As far as demands, what does "moaning about" their performance have to do with their demands? Isn't it beyond the scope of any rationality that the NFL cannot do without the regular refs? The ineptitude is affecting the outcome of games, and defenses are taking advantage of the refs and putting some players into greater harm.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended before Thursday. The owners have to have told Goodell to make a deal after last night's nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        Don't count on it. As long as there are butts on the seats and eyes on the TV, the owners don't care.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          Don't count on it. As long as there are butts on the seats and eyes on the TV, the owners don't care.
                          Integrity means nothing to them? What about being the laughing stock of the sports world? I think they care about that. Maybe more to the NFL than the owners.

Actually, and I keep forgetting this, as an NFL owner those things are very important to me, so I care.
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            The refs basically got everything they wanted in this agreement.

Comment

I paid a buck for this souvenir yesterday morning - front page of the NY Post

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X