No announcement yet.

2K11: Tim Tebow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive tried to stay quiet in the wake of all the en vogue Tebow-bashing but you know me

Tebow, in his three games, last year outplayed Orton, with the same crappy running game and defense that everyone talks about that restricted Orton from being competent. Tebow, in his first start and with a limited playbook, had the Broncos within seven points in Oakland, after Oakland had destroyed Orton, who was awful, and the Broncos in Denver; Tebow beat the Texans with a late touchdown run, and although people claimed the Texans were no good, they were still in the playoff chase at that point, and Tebow played San Diego closer than Orton did, in the finale.
    If the Broncos didn’t believe Tebow could start, why was Orton effectively traded to Miami? The only thing that killed the trade is Orton's desire for a restructured deal.
    Finally, and this point may be just more of teamspeak in the era of misinformation but earlier this month John Elway said Tebow "didn't get an offseason to work on (playing from the pocket). He didn't get much of that in college. And it's a completely different thing than the shotgun. Plus, he's only had one (NFL) season. But he's amazing football player. I'd never give up on Tim Tebow."

Should Tebow be starting Week 1? Probably not because he needed the normal training camp more than anyone else. This much is clear to me. Orton will continue to be a caretaker QB. His numbers look okay because the Broncos were always losing and he was always throwing in pass-happy McDaniels offense. He is ineffective in the red zone and he doesn’t win. He is a great practice QB. Tebow is a gamer and has all those winning attributes you want out of your QB. His throwing motion is a dumb argument. Have you seen Rivers throw? A fair criticism of Tebow is he isn’t going through his reads fast enough, he pulls it down to run too quickly. Those are the same things Cam Newton is going through. They improve in time with hard work. I am confident Tebow will put that work in.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

enough already! I am not naive enough to want Orton ousted after one game and I dont like fans killing Orton after one game, no matter how nauseating his performance was (he wasnt alone), but can the media please stop saying 'Even Brady Quinn had a better preseason than Tebow." Idiots! He didnt and the argument can be mad his preseason was better than Orton's. Not enough to make him the starter of course and it wasnt done against the first teamer but I am sick of the parroting media. Check your facts!

Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD % INT INT % Long Sck Sack/Lost Rating
      Kyle Orton 42 28 408 66.7 9.7 2 4.8 1 2.4 42 2 20 104.1
      Brady Quinn 42 22 276 52.4 6.6 2 4.8 2 4.8 26 2 10 69.1
      Tim Tebow 31 20 310 64.5 10.0 1 3.2 0 0.0 43 7 37 108.3
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

It's really dumb to be arguing over preseason numbers anyway.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I have no opinion on Tebow vs Orton vs Quinn other than I don't really view any of them as what I'd like to have leading my team for the long haul.

That said, most of the criticisms that I have heard in National Media outlets regarding Tebow is that he is a horrible practice player and that's where he is essentially outplayed by Quinn and the rookie. If you already have questions about your throwing motion, situational awareness/decision making and over all abilities beyond being a "gamer", it seems like you can't really afford to be terrible in practice too.

Pre-season is so situational that I don't put any stock in stats at all.

Comment

So, has the mighty John Fox bowed to political pressure? Sure, Orton has stunk -- but who wouldn't with an entire stadium, nay nation, pulling for your demise? And what happened to Brady Quinn as the #2? Didn't he outplay Tebow the entire pre-season? Why did Denver usurp their hierarchy for the greater good? Why has a meritocracy become a popular vote?

Tebow is a playmaker, that's for sure. But as a QB? Has any QB succeeded with a completion percentage as low as Tebow has? Can a team actually win with a QB completing less than half his passes?

If the option was a successful offense, the NFL would run it. But it's not. And bootlegs can only go so far. So while Tebow will likely be given the rest of the season to prove otherwise, at a capable QBs expense no less, is it just to appease the fanbase?

Comment

They're not going anywhere anyway, might as well see what they have.

Comment

here's some fantasy facts (based on my league):

Outperformed regularly by Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Newton & Schaub

In 2 of the last 4 weeks, he outperformed:
                Romo, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Manning, Stafford
                Ryan, Manning & Stafford only had 3 starts in that time due to a bye

Outperformed Rivers all 3 times (SD had a bye)

It's not a perfect science to compare this way but over the last 4 weeks, he ranks about 8 behind:
                Brees
                Rodgers
                Brady
                Newton
                Schaub
                Romo
                Roethlisberger
                (not necessarily in that order)

Comment

Coach John Fox acknowledges that Tim Tebow would be "screwed" if the Broncos tried to run a "regular offense."
                  "After the loss to Detroit, we decided if Tim is going to be our guy, we can't do that other crap," Fox said. "We had to tweak it." Fox concedes that he would have drafted Tebow as a "football player" as a opposed to a quarterback. The Broncos are reportedly "not sold" on the prospects of long-term success in the read-option offense, but they also realize there may be "something special" about Tebow. "Let me tell you something," said Fox. "My man is really good in this offense."
                  Source: NFL.com Nov 15 - 5:50 PM

Comment

"I don't think anyone within the organization is immune to the fact that there may be something special about the guy," the source said. "I don't think anybody is sold on the long-term success of this offense yet -- but I think we've warmed up to it.

"Hey, if we make the playoffs, and we have a later draft pick, the pressure isn't as high to draft a quarterback. If he hasn't progressed, we'll just have to evaluate."

"Hey, Tim thinks he deserves to have these plays in this offense. And you know what? After watching our games the last two weeks, it's hard to argue with him."

Comment

With Brees on bye, I have to choose between Tebow and Gabbert in a league that de-emphasizes QB rushing and has no waiver wire. Oy.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        With Brees on bye, I have to choose between Tebow and Gabbert in a league that de-emphasizes QB rushing and has no waiver wire. Oy.
                        now thats rough although I will say I think the Broncos will need to throw at least 20 times tomorrow night.

Comment

Hey, if I can throw my 2 cents in (from a consistency standpoint, no less)....Tebow has earned 4 Quality Games out his last five starts. His season Quality Success Rate is 67% which is tied with Vick, Romo and Rivers.

So, who's to argue with consistent Fantasy success? Not I.

Comment

How does it de-emphasize QB rushing?
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              How does it de-emphasize QB rushing?
                              1 yard from scrimmage of any kind = 1 point. Therefore 1 rushing yard = 1 passing yard.

Comment

1 yard from scrimmage of any kind = 1 point. Therefore 1 rushing yard = 1 passing yard.
                                Ahhhh, OK. I'd still go with Tebow by a long shot. Gabbert is horrible...
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X