Junior Seau Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Honestly, these kinds of stories make me think twice about wanting my son to play football as he grows up. The aftershocks that we've seen from getting your brain jarred over and over again are terrible and extremely serious for the rest of your life. Am I just being paranoid? I mean, do you guys let your kids play football?
    You're not being paranoid. The size, speed, and athleticism of even high school football players is amazing. Example - neighbor across the street from us, four boys. Oldest is a 3rd string freshman lineman on Wisconsin. He was over 6'8 and 290 lbs when he graduated from high school, can easily dunk a basketball, and ran a 5.35 40. Out of high school.

Number two is 6'4" and pushing 300 lbs, and can already bench 225 lbs 18 times. He's a soph in high school.

There's no way my kid would have played football. I was lucky enough - he didn't want to.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If it comes out similarly to the Duerson story, where Seau had ongoing issues with post-concussion syndrome, I think the fallout on the NFL might be big.

Honestly, these kinds of stories make me think twice about wanting my son to play football as he grows up. The aftershocks that we've seen from getting your brain jarred over and over again are terrible and extremely serious for the rest of your life. Am I just being paranoid? I mean, do you guys let your kids play football?
      My little girl will never play football..and neither would a son if i had one. She'll also never play soccer.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

When I was in HS my Mom refused to let me play football. Rugby was OK (virtually no open field hits where a guy gets a 10 yard run at you) and hitting above the waist, without a wrap, is a penalty.

I am glad she said no.

Seau was one of my favourite players to watch when I paid attention to the NFL actively.

RIP Junior - emphasis on peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          My little girl will never play football..and neither would a son if i had one. She'll also never play soccer.
          Football I can understand, and there's no way I'd let my son play (if I have one). I played thru high school and I suffered at least one concussion (which was never treated of course). But I'm curious why is soccer off-limits?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            This isn't about agendas. It's about courtesy and language and flame wars. And I deleted the posts attacking you as well as your original post. Don't push for a suspension by trying to reignite the flame war.
            RotoRooter received a 2-day suspension for trolling for a flame war in the Dead Pool thread in the Sports Bar after a fair warning. That said, I'm warning the rest of you not to take the bait when someone is trying to lure you into a flame war. Put folks on ignore if you can't resist responding to their provocations with obscenities or personal attacks of your own. If we need to, we will start suspending retaliators who violate the prohibitions on language and personal attacks as well as the instigator.

Comment

If it comes out similarly to the Duerson story, where Seau had ongoing issues with post-concussion syndrome, I think the fallout on the NFL might be big.

I wonder if it is concussion related, that he chose the chest on purpose so his brain can be examined.

I don't think you are being paranoid, I have 2 young sons and I hope they like baseball because I would have a difficult time endorsing football. Like Jude it will make me a hypocrite but as a parent it is your job to make the tough decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                RotoRooter received a 2-day suspension for trolling for a flame war in the Dead Pool thread in the Sports Bar after a fair warning. That said, I'm warning the rest of you not to take the bait when someone is trying to lure you into a flame war. Put folks on ignore if you can't resist responding to their provocations with obscenities or personal attacks of your own. If we need to, we will start suspending retaliators who violate the prohibitions on language and personal attacks as well as the instigator.
                I Understand, but I'm more than willing to call him out when he does his thing. If people like him are going to be allowed on the site and all the do is troll, responses should be expected. I'll take the ban if he does it again--cuz if you won't put an end to it--I'll make sure he gets an earful before his vacation.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Football I can understand, and there's no way I'd let my son play (if I have one). I played thru high school and I suffered at least one concussion (which was never treated of course). But I'm curious why is soccer off-limits?
                  High school age girls who play soccer at high levels have an astoundingly high rate of ACL and Achilles injuries. Our local high schools were one of the test areas for the recent study that was published. Girls in soccer in our area were more than four times more likely to get ACL injuries, more than five times more likely to require surgery. Achilles injuries were a little over double.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    High school age girls who play soccer at high levels have an astoundingly high rate of ACL and Achilles injuries. Our local high schools were one of the test areas for the recent study that was published. Girls in soccer in our area were more than four times more likely to get ACL injuries, more than five times more likely to require surgery. Achilles injuries were a little over double.
                    Ok, so what? Torn ACLs suck but they won't ruin your life as head/spinal injuries will.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Ok, so what? Torn ACLs suck but they won't ruin your life as head/spinal injuries will.
                      Oh, I agree. But there's a legit concern with girls playing soccer that has sound medical research behind it. I can understand Mith's concern and point.

Comment

Even if a study has never been done, hitting a soccer ball with your head cannot be a good thing. Ever hit a soccer ball with your head, they ain't soft. Damage is being done in my opinion. and no amount of studies will change my opinion. Plus the smacking of heads together by players going after headers. My 12 year old nephew got a concussion playing soccer and it has caused some big problems for him.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

LOL, nice.
                          What i meant was that you can show me study after study showing no damage done to anyone's brain by heading a soccer ball, but my kid still isn't playing.

You're smart enough to realize that heading a soccer ball for years has to have some effect on your brain, aren't you?

Comment

I'd rather play soccer and hit the ball with my head 1000 times than take one baseball in the ear. Would you let your kids play baseball or fast-pitch softball?
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I wonder if J.T. Snow would suggest anyone stand in the batters box against Randy Johnson.....

That might have been one of the most painful injuries I've ever seen in a sport.

Comment

any man's death diminishes me,
                                because I am involved in mankind.
                                And therefore never send to know for whom
                                the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

RIP Junior.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X