No announcement yet.

Football In Memoriam thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I searched and didn't see a John Madden entry. Since I have a family member at Cal Poly I got an email with this article which was interesting to me, and probably fans of 70's NFL football

The football legend’s family takes us behind the scenes of his remarkable life and unexpected journey into stardom.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame coach, Emmy-winning broadcaster and Cal Poly alumnus passed away in December 2021, following a 38-year career in professional football and just after celebrating his 62nd wedding anniversary with Virginia, a fellow Mustang. But it wasn’t always success after success: Throughout his career, John had to figure out how to make the most of both unexpected setbacks and opportunities with the support of his most important teammates: his family.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Tyrone Davis, a tight end for the Jets and Packers from 1995 to 2002, died at age 50. RIP.

Comment

• Hall of Famer Charley Trippi died at the ripe old age of 100. He spent his entire 9 year career with the Chicago Cardinals from 1947-1955. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Hall of Famer Charley Trippi died at the ripe old age of 100. He spent his entire 9 year career with the Chicago Cardinals from 1947-1955. RIP.

The man was an amazing athlete and the grandfather of multi-purpose backs.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Hall of Fame punter Ray Guy died this morning at age 73. RIP.

Comment

• Legendary Georgia head coach Vince Dooley died last week at age 90. RIP.

Comment

• John Hadl dies at 82. I'm old enough to remember him very well.

Comment

• Mike Leach, head football coach at Mississippi State, passed away from a massive heart attack at age 61. RIP.

Comment

• Just days before the 50th Anniversary of the Immaculate Reception and getting his number retired, legendary Hall of Fame RB Franco Harris died at age 72. RIP.

Comment

• Former Broncos RB Ronnie Hillman, who was the Broncos leading rusher during their Super Bowl year of 2015, died at just age 31 from cancer. RIP.

Comment

• The Immaculate reception game wasn't even sold out. In the 50 years that have followed, every Steelers home game has sold out. RIP Franco Harris.

Last edited by madducks; 12-23-2022, 04:26 PM.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Art McNally, former NFL referee and Director of Officiating who was known as the “father of instant replay” and the first game official inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has died at age 97. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Charles White, the 1979 Heisman Trophy winning RB who busted as a Browns' 1st rd pick before he inexplicably led the NFL in rushing in 1987 and was the NFL Comeback Player of the Year, died at age 64. RIP.

Comment

• Bobby Beathard, a Hall of Fame GM for the Redskins and Chargers, died at age 86. RIP.

Comment

• Confad Dobler, a 3x Proo Bowl offensive lineman often dubbed the NFL’s dirtiest player, died at age 72. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X