Who is your favorite team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    A ton of key injuries? To who? Osi for a couple of games, Thomas for the season, and two rookies. That's it. I'm not sure I would classify that as "a ton."
    Everything that I've come across regarding the Giants D seems to put more emphasis on Terrell Thomas, Prince and Witherspoon's injury than you are. I'm the first to admit that I'm not as versed in the game as some of you guys around here so if you think the media is overplaying those injuries I'll take your word for it. It's entirely possible that it's mainstream media generating something to talk about.

Geez Ed, retract the claws. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      Everything that I've come across regarding the Giants D seems to put more emphasis on Terrell Thomas, Prince and Witherspoon's injury than you are. I'm the first to admit that I'm not as versed in the game as some of you guys around here so if you think the media is overplaying those injuries I'll take your word for it. It's entirely possible that it's mainstream media generating something to talk about.

Geez Ed, retract the claws. :-P
      Losing Thomas hurt. Losing three players who never suited up for the Giants in a regular season game is aggravating, but nothing that can't be overcome. I just don't see how those relatively minor injuries, in the grand scheme of things, takes them out of playoff contention.

If Tuck or Eli got hurt, we'd be DOA. Losing those guys are just a nuisance.

Comment

1. Who is your favorite team, and how will they finish this year?

Vikings. Between 6-8 wins.

2. Who is your team's sleeper?

None. Peterson, McNabb and Harvin will be the entire offense. Although if I had to pick one, TE Kyle Rudolph might eat into Shiancoe's production. On the defensive side DE Brian Robison might be productive since he'll face single teams while Jared Allen gets double-teamed all year.

3. Who will disappoint?

Worst case scenario would be...Harvin's migraine's return and McNabb play falls off a cliff and fast, and Joe Webb/Ponder is under centre by Halloween, with arguably the worst O-line in the league.

4. How would rank the defense (fantasy wise)?

Middle of the pack. CB Cedric Griffin's likely return helps out an already weak secondary. And all the regulars return (Jared Allen, EJ Henderson, Chad Greenway, Antoine Winfield).

Comment

Nah - I'm not really a raving Cowboys fan by any stretch and have no long term history with the team. Became a "fan" when I moved to Dallas 5 years ago.

If the Giants D was healthy, I'd be right there with you. As is I think they are going to struggle a bit at the start of the season. The loss of Kevin Boss will likely hurt as well.

Without so many injuries I'd put them 2nd in the NFC East and in the playoffs. As is, I think it's a long shot.
          I put the Cowboys in the race to win the NFC. No kidding.

A lot of things have to go right. They must have a boiling pass rush to help out aging CBs. Their OL nees to integrate a rookie RT and replace a Pro Bowl C. They have to pull their heads out of their GI tracts and pay attention. However, all that is doable.

Their teams to beat are both green. There has to be a message there somewhere.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I agree with you on that. The Cowboys have so many question marks that if things work out in their favor they could be elite. I really disliked some of the moves they made this season and have the concerns about Garrett. Ultimately, it should lead to a fun NFC East season unless you're a Redskins fan.

I was raised in Atlanta and was never a huge Falcons fan, but they are interesting team and the Cowboys are a very difficult team to cheer for. I might have to put my home town allegiances back into place sooner rather than later.

Comment

I agree with you on that. The Cowboys have so many question marks that if things work out in their favor they could be elite. I really disliked some of the moves they made this season and have the concerns about Garrett. Ultimately, it should lead to a fun NFC East season unless you're a Redskins fan.

I was raised in Atlanta and was never a huge Falcons fan, but they are interesting team and the Cowboys are a very difficult team to cheer for. I might have to put my home town allegiances back into place sooner rather than later.
              Hotlanta has a good offense, but the defense is only mediocre to decent. Give them the Bear's defense and you are talking title.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Buffalo Bills - I think they've improved the defense but I still see them as a bottom feeders. I'll say 5-11 at the bottom of the AFC East. Bad but just good enough to miss out on Luck next year.

2. Who is your team's sleeper? - I think Marcus Easley could end up as their 2nd WR and become a useful bench WR and spot/matchup play in deep leagues.

3. Who will disappoint? - I don't think Stevie Johnson is going to put up the numbers that we saw last year. The O-Line is a mess and Johnson isn't going to "sneak up" on teams this year. He's their unquestioned #1 receiver and defenses will key in on him.

4. How would rank the defense (fantasy wise)? - Improved but not draftable in fantasy. I could see them as a bye-week matchup play in some circumstances. I think Marcell Dareus will be a beast.
                I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  Hotlanta has a good offense, but the defense is only mediocre to decent. Give them the Bear's defense and you are talking title.
                  Agreed. My reluctance to follow Atlanta when I first got into the NFL was that I found them to be a boring team.

Matt Ryan gets the job done in the regular season, but I think I saw that they had less 10 plays of 40 or more yards last season. B-O-R-I-N-G to watch. At least with the Cowboys there is always some sort of drama to keep things interesting.

I'm very interested in seeing how Julio Jones impacts his willingness to fire it down field a bit more.

Comment

I knew the schedule was easy last year, and harder this year, but geez.

We have 8 games agaisnt the same teams, and 8 new ones. Out are Ari, StL, SF, Sea, Ten, Cle, Jax, Hou, combined record 50-78. In are Det, Min, GB, Chi, Mia, NYJ, NE, Pit, combined record 79-49. Offensively, it is much the same, but opposition defenses got a whole lot tougher. The other 8 are 6 games agaisnt an improved AFC West, Buffalo and Indy.
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Super Bowl Champs, the Green Bay Packers. 11-5, first in the NFL Central. If they didn't have a target on their back, I'd go with 13-3. IMO, the only player that really was an impact loss was Cullen Jenkins.

2. Who is your team's sleeper? - There's hardly a sleeper on this team, but James Starks is the most likely sleeper. Do not take Ryan Grant without handcuffing Starks to him. I'd look to get James Jones in mid to later rounds, too. He's a physical beast - the most physically gifted receiver on the team - who appears to have his mental game catching up to his physical skills. It's clear Driver is in decline, so I'd expect Jones to be in a much more significant role by early in the year.

3. Who will disappoint? - Greg Jennings. He sucked last year as long as Jermichael Finley was healthy. Avoid as your #1 WR, IMO.

4. How would rank the defense (fantasy wise)? - Very good. Good pass rushers, solid ball hawks, decent cornerbacks. Legit top 6 defense or so.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                        Eagles, 11-5, 1st in East, lose in NFC Championship game due to Andy Reid getting out-coached.

None of the Eagles will come cheap. But one who will is Brent Celek, and I think that he'll be a top-10 TE this year. I also think that Steve Smith will be a nice late-rounder in PPR leagues.

3. Who will disappoint?
                        I'll say Desean Jackson-He's being drafted very high but he'll put up some weeks where he does next to nothing. The overall numbers will be there, but like home run hitters in baseball, you'll have to deal with the strikeouts. I think that Maclin will be the more consistent WR, but DJax will have 4-5 huge weeks.

Definitely up there. Sacks and interceptions will abound. If your league penalizes for poor rushing defense, then the Eagles will want to be avoided.
                        ^^^ This.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

(Edited to say - DAMNIT. I deferred to Chance, as the resident senior Packers & Brewers poster, for several days and since he didn't respond, I thought someone needed to represent the best team ever! So I work on this offline for a while and post it, only to see Chance snuck in ahead of me once again! At least we weren't too far off on anything.)

Who is your favorite team, and how will they finish this year?

Packers - I think they will REPEAT! But, it won’t be easy. I think they go 12 -4. I believe they will win a very tough division outright this season, but not without a solid push from the ultimate second place finishers, the Detroit Lions, and the always tough Chicago Bears, I think the Lions make the playoffs as a wildcard as do the Bears, resulting in three teams from the division making the playoffs.

I am not sure the Pack has much in the way of a “fantasy” sleeper anymore. James Starks could be considered a sleeper, but he did so well in the playoffs, I suspect drafters are well aware of him by now. I just don’t see any others that will have a Fantasy value. For non-fantasy value, if pressed, I would say someone like the potential sixth WR (either Chastin West or Troi Gurley) contirubuting on Special Teams or filling in for an injury, or Vic So’oto as an LB. So’oto has had a very strong preseason, particularily last night against the Chiefs.

3. Who will disapoint?

Donald Driver. I hate even writing this, but he is 36 years old now. While he has slowed down some, us GBP fans still want him to be the old double D. He still flashes “it” on occasion with catches like the one he made against the 49ers last season, but at some point during this season, I suspect either James Jones or Jordy Nelson will become the number 2 and Double D could slide to number 4 or 5 before the season ends. I will roster him just because, but I won’t expect much anymore. I suspect he’ll still have a workman like nice season, easily getting the 47 yards necessary to break James Lofton’s Packers career receiving yards record. His 1,000 yard 80 catch season are over, though.

I think the Packer defense is one of the best playing now. As for scoring leagues, I would rate it top 2 or 3, due to potential for sacks, pick sixes and turnovers. From a non-fantasy viewpoint, I think they may be weakest in the middle of the Backer core. Not a lot of depth behind Hawk and Bishop, but that will take care of its self. The D-line has bigger shoes to fill with the loss of Cullen Jenkins, but I think Mike Neal will fill that hole, but he has to stay healthy.

All in all, I expect a solid run to repeat, led by potential fantasy MVP Aaron Rodgers. I think Starks and Grant split carries nearly 50/50 so niether will be a fantasy star. John Kuhn may get goalline carries as a RB. J-mike Finley will be one of the top TEs this season, giving Gates a runs for top TE. Jennings is a solid #1 WR, with Driver, Jones and Nelson being quality roster depth. Injuries could change all of this.
                          Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 09-02-2011, 02:49 PM.
                          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

LOL!! That's funny - I'm stuck in the New Orleans airport, and I looked at this thread, thinking "Bernie must have already posted". And when I noticed you hadn't, I figured I'd jump in.

Driver will be a better real football player this year than fantasy player. He doesn't have good separation speed anymore, but he can still make great catches and read a zone better than just about any WR in football.

The O-Line is my biggest concern, though the removal of Darholding Colledge will be great addition by subtraction.

Good point about So'oto. McCarthy and the other coaches are really fired up about him. Have to figure with Matthews around, So'oto has a real chance to excel as a pass rusher.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              I knew the schedule was easy last year, and harder this year, but geez.

We have 8 games agaisnt the same teams, and 8 new ones. Out are Ari, StL, SF, Sea, Ten, Cle, Jax, Hou, combined record 50-78. In are Det, Min, GB, Chi, Mia, NYJ, NE, Pit, combined record 79-49. Offensively, it is much the same, but opposition defenses got a whole lot tougher. The other 8 are 6 games agaisnt an improved AFC West, Buffalo and Indy.
                              The first half of the schedule looks pretty light. If you're in a league that likes to trade a lot it might be nice to get some Chiefs and trade them after a few games.
                              I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post

I am not sure the Pack has much in the way of a “fantasy” sleeper anymore. James Starks could be considered a sleeper, but he did so well in the playoffs, I suspect drafters are well aware of him by now. I just don’t see any others that will have a Fantasy value. For non-fantasy value, if pressed, I would say someone like the potential sixth WR (either Chastin West or Troi Gurley) contirubuting on Special Teams or filling in for an injury, or Vic So’oto as an LB. So’oto has had a very strong preseason, particularily last night against the Chiefs.
                                I'm far from a football expect or that much of a follower but I like the Pack and watched a pre season game and they were high on Randall Cobb. He could surprise.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X