LeVeon Bell Holdout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    I thought we established that he can't sign a long term deal even if traded based on how the franchise tag works?
    Don't shoot the messenger. Take it up with ESPN's Adam Shefter.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Leveon who?
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Leveon who?
        That has been my season so far. he's just a guy tieing up a roster spot.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Steelers are aggressively pursuing a Bell deal -- they want a player and a 2nd rounder for him. Since, as discussed, he cannot sign a long-term deal before becoming a free agent, only a contender would probably make that move (or a delusional non-contender).

Dolphins? 3-1, and their running game has been non-existent
          Vikings? Dalvin Cook, who's still not right
          Jacksonville? Fournette can't stay healthy
          Washington? AP, but he's hit or miss at this point
          Philadelphia? Ajayi is more than capable, but Bell would add another dimension
          Green Bay? Their 3-headed monster is pretty tame
          Carolina? they could be concerned McCaffrey could wear down

I think the Dolphins need him the most, but they may not want to jeopardize their future for a futile title run. Still, the desperation is there. My guess is Minnesota, who's owner has been known to take risks.

Comment

Bell's continued absence from Pittsburgh has raised questions about what his future salary could and would be if the Steelers, or any team that traded for him, used the transition tag on him this offseason. If any team used the transition tag on Bell next season, the tag number would be 120 percent of this season's salary. But the longer Bell holds out, the more his salary for this season drops, which could dramatically affect what he earns in 2019. If Bell were to report to the Steelers next week, the most he could make this year would be $11.12 million; and 120 percent of that number under the transition tag would be $13.346 million -- lower than the $14.534 he was scheduled to earn under the franchise tag this season. With each additional week Bell misses, his 2019 salary potentially drops lower. If Bell reports to the Steelers midway through this season, his transition tag salary for next season could be as low as $9.24 million. Bell and his agent could argue they are entitled to more, and appeal it to an arbitrator, who could potentially rule in their favor.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are open to offers for star running back Le'Veon Bell, but no trade talks have advanced to a serious stage at this time, league sources told ESPN.

Comment

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports that holdout Le'Veon Bell is expected to report to the Steelers during their Week 7 bye.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I think I understood Hornsby's argument for the holdout, but am wondering now if he thinks this strategy could still work - and I don't know. he clearly had analyzed this beyond what I had.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

He supposedly told the reported he didnot want to touch the ball as much as last year going into his free agent year so by coming in late he limited the amount of hits he will take.

Comment

He can play 1 game with Pittsburgh and the trading deadline is the following week. Looks like a good time for Bell to show up, get some work in a game to show other teams what shape he is in, get a trade worked with someone. Still not sure Pit will trade him, without the contract resolved anyone taking him will only be guaranteed 1/2 year. Unless they have the double secret handshake contract agreed to and ready to sign.

Comment

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/02/ro...ll-earl-thomas

former NFL agent and then Packers front office guy Andrew Brandt:

"I sat in the chair negotiating NFL contracts for 10 years and heard dozens of agent arguments about players who missed time and therefore had less “wear and tear.” And I answered the same as every other team negotiator: Age is age, reduced wear and tear or not. ....... Bell will be a year older in 2019 than he was in 2018, reduced usage or not. Bell may be resting his legs while he forfeits millions, but it’s not helping his financial picture long term. And it may be hurting it..... I just don’t get it.

"As a former agent, I could not advise a client — especially a running back — to forego more than $5 million without a rock-solid guarantee that the sacrifice would be made up in the future. Here, of course, there is no such guarantee, only a theory. It is a wish and a hope; it is not a plan."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Has anyone noted how much James Conner looks like Bell on the field? How much of the production is system generated?

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

As the trade deadline passed today, the worst fears of Le'Veon Bell owners have been realized. He is still unsigned and now cannot be moved to another team. At best, he signs the franchise tender and splits time with James Conner (which could also potentially be devastating to fantasy owners); at worst, he gets paid by the Steelers to stay home.

And as a friend of mine pointed out, as Conner is on pace for over 2,000 yards from scrimmage, this whole exercise may have been in futility, as he may have inadvertently proved that it's the system and not necessarily the player.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            As the trade deadline passed today, the worst fears of Le'Veon Bell owners have been realized. He is still unsigned and now cannot be moved to another team. At best, he signs the franchise tender and splits time with James Conner (which could also potentially be devastating to fantasy owners); at worst, he gets paid by the Steelers to stay home.

And as a friend of mine pointed out, as Conner is on pace for over 2,000 yards from scrimmage, this whole exercise may have been in futility, as he may have inadvertently proved that it's the system and not necessarily the player.
                            From Evan Silva's Week 8 matchup column (the numbers have only increased since this) --

As Le’Veon Bell again failed to report, James Conner will get at least one more game as Pittsburgh’s workhorse versus a Browns defense that has surrendered a crisp 177/784/8 (4.43 YPC) rushing line to enemy backs. Despite facing eight-plus defenders in the box at the league’s third-highest rate (39%) and receiving the NFL’s fifth-fewest yards created before contact per rushing attempt (2.4) from Pittsburgh’s middling offensive line, Conner is averaging 4.40 yards per carry – superior to Bell’s 4.02 average in 2017 – with five 20-plus-yard runs on 103 attempts, already more than Le’Veon had all last season (3) on a league-high 321 carries. Pittsburgh is scoring 3.1 more points per game than last year, and their yards-per-play average has risen from 5.8 to 6.2 with Conner at tailback.

Comment

anyone left on the "great strategy by Bell!" bandwagon?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                anyone left on the "great strategy by Bell!" bandwagon?
                                Hey everybody! LeVeon Bell is hinting that he might return!

Does Pittsburgh have to take him back?

Comment

Working...
                                X