LeVeon Bell Holdout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    As revo said, this is for next year and beyond...a player can only be exclusively franchise tagged for so long before he actually hits what might be considered "true" free agency in the NFL. And if Bell plays this season, he apparently is going to be a true Free agent for the 2019 season...
    Yeah, I think he was under the impression we were talking about an in-season contract extension.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
      When a team has a set formation, let's say 1 RB, 3 WR and 1 TE, they have a set of plays. Perhaps they have a pass play called, The QB looks at the defense and realizes that a run can exploit a weakness in the alignment. QB has to think, "How many times has X RB carried already,"
      why would you have a RB on the field who has reached his carry limit? That's bad coaching.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        why would you have a RB on the field who has reached his carry limit? That's bad coaching.
        There's more nuance than that though right? You are at the 5 with a pass play called, your primary RB, who is on the field, has 1 carry left. On a pre-snap read, the defense shows weakness towards a run, but do you audible to a run and take a chance that he only takes it to the 1 and you are left without a reliable RB to punch it in?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          There's more nuance than that though right? You are at the 5 with a pass play called, your primary RB, who is on the field, has 1 carry left. On a pre-snap read, the defense shows weakness towards a run, but do you audible to a run and take a chance that he only takes it to the 1 and you are left without a reliable RB to punch it in?
          Sure, the coaches would have to manage workload and consider limits in their playcalling. But saying it would make audibles impossible isn't right.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Sure, the coaches would have to manage workload and consider limits in their playcalling. But saying it would make audibles impossible isn't right.
            Impossible is taking it too far, but it would certainly change the game in ways that were not intended. Doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Comment

Impossible is taking it too far, but it would certainly change the game in ways that were not intended. Doesn't sound reasonable to me.
              Is getting tackled 40 times a game by large human beings "reasonable" ? I think there is very little about modern football that is reasonable. I'm not proposing for limits, I merely wondered if the science and health concerns could someday lead to that. And if it does the reasonableness of impacting audibles late in the game won't be a deciding factor.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Is getting tackled 40 times a game by large human beings "reasonable" ? I think there is very little about modern football that is reasonable. I'm not proposing for limits, I merely wondered if the science and health concerns could someday lead to that. And if it does the reasonableness of impacting audibles late in the game won't be a deciding factor.
                I think your snap counts idea is much more likely. Hits to the head are just as likely to take place while blocking as they are while carrying the ball.

Comment

I think your snap counts idea is much more likely. Hits to the head are just as likely to take place while blocking as they are while carrying the ball.
                  I agree. I've read about a lot of former linemen and their health woes.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Week two and no sign of Bell. I think anyone who drafted Bell knowing of his holdout gambled and lost.

Comment

At this point, Bell and his agent have their cards on the table and are all-in on their gambit -- there's now no reason to believe we see Bell back before Week 11. What a blindside wipeout of a Top 2 pick.

Comment

Week 3 upcoming, no end in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          At this point, Bell and his agent have their cards on the table and are all-in on their gambit -- there's now no reason to believe we see Bell back before Week 11. What a blindside wipeout of a Top 2 pick.
                          I agree with you.
                          And it makes me start to wonder, will the Steelers even want him back at that point? And if not, what options do they have to keep him away?

Comment

I agree with you.
                            And it makes me start to wonder, will the Steelers even want him back at that point? And if not, what options do they have to keep him away?
                            They could withdraw the franchise tag. I believe that would make him a free agent.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I agree with you.
                              They are a potential championship team, so I think management would welcome him back with open arms — for this season only. Right now, they’re getting Bell-like production without a Bell-like contract. Win-win.

Comment

Week two and no sign of Bell. I think anyone who drafted Bell knowing of his holdout gambled and lost.
                                If they managed to get James Conner, not so much. So far he's playing like a 1st round pick. It may be less than the top 2-3 you expected from Bell, but good enough to keep you in a game.

They are a potential championship team, so I think management would welcome him back with open arms — for this season only. Right now, they’re getting Bell-like production without a Bell-like contract. Win-win.
                                The Steelers are clearly auditioning Conner for next season. If Bell holds out too long, the team may cut him loose early.

About the championship, let's see if it was all Patrick Mahomes or if the pass D is really that porous. Count them, 5 incompletions and 11.3 YPA.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X