Super Bowl XLIX Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erik View Post
    There is good reason to make it a big deal, on two fronts.

1. The Patriots have been caught cheating to gain a competitive advantage before.

2. The league has an integrity/due process problem because of how the Ray Rice incident was handled.
    I agree the NFL has to do something, but just not sure how high this particular indiscretion rates.

Comment

JayGlazer
      @JayGlazer

"Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who allegedly took balls from officials locker room to another area on way to field. Sources say they have interviewed him and additionally have video. Still gauging if any wrong doing occurred with him but he is strong person of interest."

and to think I totally fell for that "we like to massage our balls and that makes 'em soft" story by Belichick.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Well, now we have the "fall" guy...... so, if this guy did this, who told him to?

The National Football League has zeroed in on a locker room attendant as a “strong person of interest” in the historic event known as “deflategate,” according to Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer:

Allegedly, the locker room attendant took the New England Patriots’ footballs to “another area” before they made their way onto the field for the AFC Championship Game against the Indianapolis Colts. A video supposedly exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          http://m.tmi.me/1eXHpm
          "Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who allegedly took balls from officials locker room to another area on way to field. Sources say they have interviewed him and additionally have video. Still gauging if any wrong doing occurred with him but he is strong person of interest.
          I'm sure that Belichick and the Patriots will provide a nice "severance" package for the poor schmuck.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Marshawn Lynch answered all questions at Media Day "I'm here so I won't be fined."

I told my son that and he asked why he'd be fined. I told him the NFL requires all players be available for interviews on Media Day.

"Well that's pretty stupid." Eleven years old and he gets it.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
              Marshawn Lynch answered all questions at Media Day "I'm here so I won't be fined."

I told my son that and he asked why he'd be fined. I told him the NFL requires all players be available for interviews on Media Day.

"Well that's pretty stupid." Eleven years old and he gets it.
              Actually it is pretty stupid that Lynch won't do a basic part of his contract with the NFL.

Comment

Well, at that age, I too was all in on getting 100 pct of the benefits and performing 0 percent of the responsibilities.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

http://www.wsj.com/articles/patriots...all-1422054846

"New England has had an uncanny ability to hold on to the football for quite some time. According to data compiled by Warren Sharp of Sharp Football Analysis, the Patriots fumble far less than any other team that plays outdoors, where the elements can make the football harder to handle. Beginning in the 2010 season, Patriots players have fumbled (whether lost or recovered) once every 73 touches from scrimmage, which is 52% better than the league average.

Additionally, according to Stats, LLC, the six players who have played extensively for the Patriots and other teams in this span all fumbled far less frequently wearing the New England uniform."
                  Nate silver
                  The controversy surrounding “Ballghazi” or “Deflate-gate” (depending on your politics, I guess) has only intensified. Press conferences were given. Locker room …

The data science community responded with a number of rebuttals (I put together a roundup of my favorite ones below). Collectively, these posts did a great job of breaking down the Statistics 101 problems with Sharp’s original analyses. But even if Sharp had been less sloppy, it would have been right to take issue with the larger implication of his work — that any major outlier, if shown to be statistically significant, should be seen as evidence of rule-breaking
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

yeah, that particular version got debunked, as did another one that tried to explain how 11 of the 12 Patriots footballs had the same too-low PSI.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

yeah, that particular version got debunked, as did another one that tried to explain how 11 of the 12 Patriots footballs had the same too-low PSI.
                      just like the media to pass along something and then never mention it after it is proven inaccurate.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

fair point, even with a smiley!
                        didn't realize I had posted it here.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

The best part of Deflategate has been Neil degrasse Tyson beclowning himself. A 'man of science' who doesn't even know how to execute basic gas law equations. Bwahahahaha!

Crap, if they're gonna put an atheist out there who claims they know science, CNN ought to have the brains to come on here and hire elD. At least he'd not crap the bed with an equation my daughter mastered in junior high.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            The best part of Deflategate has been Neil degrasse Tyson beclowning himself. A 'man of science' who doesn't even know how to execute basic gas law equations. Bwahahahaha!

Crap, if they're gonna put an atheist out there who claims they know science, CNN ought to have the brains to come on here and hire elD. At least he'd not crap the bed with an equation my daughter mastered in junior high.
                            you have to understand what NDT is and what he isn't. he's fantastic for the popularization of science - he's a great ambassador. he's not a really recognized scientist in his own right. so i'm not surprised he made this mistake (though it's not quite so gross as you imply). this is very unlike carl sagan, who built a reputation for himself based on a long history of real scientific work before he veered into the popularization of science (astronomy specifically). now, some of sagan's science can be called questionable (nuclear winter comes to mind), but he really was a known expert in planetary science, with a tenured faculty position at one of the best universities for that kind of research (cornell). NDT is not that - he's head of a planetarium at the AMNH. sagan would never have been voted Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive by people magazine...
                            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                              you have to understand what NDT is and what he isn't.
                              He's a blowhard and jackass; the Dr. Oz of physicists? He failed on a low end high school physics calculation. It's awesome, and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                Well, and unlike pretty any religious anything or anyone ever, DeGrasse admitted his error and corrected it.....
                                Only after it was pointed out by about 10,000 Twitter users. Jackass was too stupid to realize he screwed up on a high school level problem until it was pointed out.

Comment

Working...
                                X