*** VD 8 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I was dumping BY ERA/WHIP and K's. The player pool seemed to have a fair amount of pitchers who fitted that profile. But I needed Cicotte to make it work. Because of that I blame myself for not committing to him earlier. I should have picked Ryan, Adams and Cicotte together, then went back to focusing on hitting. Still don't think the ceiling on the strategy was high enough in hindsight. One of the reasons I went with this strategy was that I was PO'd I didn't spot Feral's strategy in the 1960+ draft. It was so obvious, and the fact that he beat Scott's (seemingly unbeatable lineup), made me look for the player-pool-loophole in this draft. The difference here is that there were other strategies that could also use these players, in addition to the similar strategies.

It also supports the previously mentioned point about being the only person on a set strategy, and the advantages that gives you. Sometimes it only takes one other person to bugger everything up. JC is normally my kryptonite when it comes to strategy negation. Twice he killed me by adopting the exact same strategy, and once he stole all my key players, then bailed on the strategy halfway through ... just rub a little salt in ... "haha, I stole all your career ERA/WHIP punt players, now I'm gonna punt BY ERA/WHIP! ... sucka!"

I also easily lose interest in non-handicap drafts (the BY-only draft also dragged). There's nothing to think about until your pick is up, so there's less interactivity, also you pay less attention to other peoples teams because anyone can pick any player.
    I agree that no restrictions aren't a lot of fun. This is a neat series that Heye came up with, but not fun enough to do again.

I also should have taken Cicotte earlier, and nearly did. But I thought "no one will want him, so I can wait another round....18 LONG picks." I failed to recognize someone else might want him. Part of my problem was I was unable to download the scoresheet for about 10 rounds, and didn't really focus on what others were doing until after Cicotte was taken.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      If a career W/K punt always works, then we should raise the IP minimum. Obviously, 18,000 IP is too few.
      I think I proved last draft that it doesn't always work.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        I agree that no restrictions aren't a lot of fun. This is a neat series that Heye came up with, but not fun enough to do again.

I also should have taken Cicotte earlier, and nearly did. But I thought "no one will want him, so I can wait another round....18 LONG picks." I failed to recognize someone else might want him. Part of my problem was I was unable to download the scoresheet for about 10 rounds, and didn't really focus on what others were doing until after Cicotte was taken.
        this is garp's fault, not mine.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
          I am still unsure about whether picking Rollie Fingers so early was a good move or not. He had so many more career saves that I figured I could grab him and forget about that category until very late in the game and grab some of the cruddy relievers with a couple good seasons. I did end up grabbing Jim Brewer (a pick I kind of regret) and then Phil Regan very late in the game. I had planned on one more closer in the Bob Lee mold but it started to appear that starting pitchers would work better for me. In the end, I end up with remarkably similar scores almost no matter who I pick for my last pitcher.

I just knew I shouldn't finish last in BY saves and sure enough I ended up with a measly one save above the last place guy ('twas you, Long John).
          I fell victim to the same thing. I figured that by grabbing Wilhelm early, I wouldn't have to worry about saves until much later. By the time I came back to saves it was too late because I was feeling the pressure of making up ground in Ks. I definitely had guys like Rick Reed targeted, but couldn't pull the trigger because I was worried about falling too far behind in offense or Ks.
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            If a career W/K punt always works, then we should raise the IP minimum. Obviously, 18,000 IP is too few.
            It is a tough strategy to employ. There are a thin set of criteria that need to be met to have a chance to compete with this strategy. Even if you meet those criteria, you still have to work hard and get lucky to make it work. The qualifying players are wanted everyone with the IP limit in place.

Without the IP limit, guys like Jim Devlin, who ordinarily goes undrafted, can be snagged late on and have a huge impact on your ratios.

Comment

• What I'm wondering at this point is if you can win without punting any categories ? CJ almost did in VD7, so it is probably possible, it's probably pretty difficult.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                I came pretty close this draft, too.
                A little too close. I actually didn't even look to see if you were punting any categories, I didn't pay enough attention. At one point I assumed you were punting BY saves, but I guess you were out of the basement in that category. Were you last in any categories ?
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  What I'm wondering at this point is if you can win without punting any categories ? CJ almost did in VD7, so it is probably possible, it's probably pretty difficult.
                  Yeah definitely. Depends on the format. I think CJ may have made a few errors in the second half of VD7. I keep meaning to have a closer look at his team in that draft. It looked unbeatable at one point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                    I fell victim to the same thing. I figured that by grabbing Wilhelm early, I wouldn't have to worry about saves until much later. By the time I came back to saves it was too late because I was feeling the pressure of making up ground in Ks. I definitely had guys like Rick Reed targeted, but couldn't pull the trigger because I was worried about falling too far behind in offense or Ks.
                    I was really jealous of the "grab a big save closer early" people, as I wanted to do the same. Fingers was the big guy I was targeting to pair with Big Train, but I failed, and felt I was chasing saves most of the way.

Comment

• Hmph.. Ally McBean and Jim Konstanty give me the same score at my pick, but in the end Konstanty give me 4th place. Poo.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        Hmph.. Ally McBean and Jim Konstanty give me the same score at my pick, but in the end Konstanty give me 4th place. Poo.
                        Demonstrates how close these drafts really are. One pick from the last round can still make a big difference. I think I only had a cushion of about 100 career runs, otherwise I wouldn't have held on.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Demonstrates how close these drafts really are. One pick from the last round can still make a big difference. I think I only had a cushion of about 100 career runs, otherwise I wouldn't have held on.
                          that's what I get for going with the hippo's "in case of a tie go with the better nick-name" plan... then again, I didn't come up with the "Konstanty Gardener" so maybe that's where I failed this draft. Undone by poor pun skills. If I had a single edge going into this draft I would have thought that was it.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            that's what I get for going with the hippo's "in case of a tie go with the better nick-name" plan... then again, I didn't come up with the "Konstanty Gardener" so maybe that's where I failed this draft. Undone by poor pun skills. If I had a single edge going into this draft I would have thought that was it.
                            you like that one, eh?

Comment

• Yeah, I probably had a better time with the nicknames and definitely made one selection I shouldn't have based on nickname potential alone.
                              "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                              "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Pop Tart Ice Cream Sandwich !

That is all.
                                Attached Files
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X