• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    teeth!
    At my age now your happy they got teeth

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      I just read a hilarious email from some sorority girl berating her fellow sisters about something or other. She uses my new favorite term, and one that I plan on using on RJ repeatedly, "cunt punt".

Don't make me fucking cunt punt you, Hacko!

http://gawker.com/5994974/the-most-d...will-ever-read
      I imagine you two would get along sportingly.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

We gonna do another one of these things? Maybe something not quite so brutal?
        I'll have a look back and see what some of the other suggestions were before VD5.

Comment

I'll have a look back and see what some of the other suggestions were before VD5.
          I'd vote for either a franchise draft or something that allows us to get a lot deeper into the player pool -- not so much QUIZY guys but players who had excellent careers but aren't even getting looked at here. What about the idea of doing three progressive drafts with a limited number of decades in each one:

Draft #1: 1870 - 1939
          Draft #2: 1940 - 1979
          Draft #3: 1989 - 2012

No letter requirements -- would just get deeper, add some new dynamics to each draft, and break from the draft order and player pool of past drafts.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
            I'd vote for either a franchise draft or something that allows us to get a lot deeper into the player pool -- not so much QUIZY guys but players who had excellent careers but aren't even getting looked at here. What about the idea of doing three progressive drafts with a limited number of decades in each one:

Draft #1: 1870 - 1939
            Draft #2: 1940 - 1979
            Draft #3: 1989 - 2012

No letter requirements -- would just get deeper, add some new dynamics to each draft, and break from the draft order and player pool of past drafts.
            I have to think a little bit about the Spreadsheet, and the current sheet is not set up for Franchises. That would require a lot of manual additions ... I don't think we've done a Franchise draft in the Zsheet era ... I might be wrong.

When I was creating the sheet for the peak period draft, it was being set up for a possible future franchise draft ... but that is a long way from being compete.

I don't have any time personally to be doing anything like that right now.

----------

As for the other idea, you mean a draft with only players from 1870-1939 ... then the next draft, only players from 1940-1979 etc?

Comment

As for the other idea, you mean a draft with only players from 1870-1939 ... then the next draft, only players from 1940-1979 etc?
              Exactly.

Comment

I'd be up for something like this.

Comment

• Riffing off Garp's idea, I was thinking of two different yet similar ideas:

1- rather than a 50-yr period, how about decades? Still 10x10, you get the player's full career numbers but the BY is limited to the decade we're drafting (i.e. 1970s)

2- very similar to the above, we do a VD by year: full career stats for the player, but the BY is the year we're drafting (i.e. 1975)

Comment

• Sounds like fun... Johnny would have to add in a bunch of players to the spreadsheet since we only have best years for the best players in now. We would need everyone that played in 19xx and all their career stats loaded. Not sure how much of a pain that is.
                    Last edited by heyelander; 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      Sounds like fun... Johnny would have to add in a bunch of players to the spreadsheet since we only have best years for the best players in now. We would need everyone that played in 19xx and all their best year stats loaded. Not sure how much of a pain that is.
                      Yeah that would be a task to get all the best years in. And if we go with the sheet as it is, it will create an unfair playing field between the folk who have time to data crunch, and those who don't. I don't have the time to do anything but set up the spreadsheet and keep it updated, so I'm not for anything that is going to create a lot of work.

I like TS Garp's original idea. We don't even need to do all the 3 drafts sequentially if we feel we need to change it up.

Would it be a no-restrictions draft (apart from position obviously) ... no letters or decades?

Comment

I also like Garp's original idea. Just break the player pool down into thirds or quarters or something and do a regular draft.
                        Exactly. No letters or decades. One minor glitch I thought about is saves for the first draft. They were so scarce in that era. Maybe it's best to make the first draft an 8 x 8?

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                          Exactly. No letters or decades. One minor glitch I thought about is saves for the first draft. They were so scarce in that era. Maybe it's best to make the first draft an 8 x 8?
                          I was thinking 9x9

Comment

• that first bucket seems odd. Hitting early, pitching late.

how about:
                            1870-1919
                            1920-1949
                            1950-1979
                            1980-current

there are ~700 BY saves available in that first bucket now.

Comment

I was thinking 9x9
                              This one goes to 11.
                              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Shockingly amusing sig, Heye.

I wanted it from the moment I saw it.

Comment

Working...
                                X